Ketones in Urine/ Higher Blood Pressure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The last few appointments I have had small amounts of ketones in my urine.  My midwife is not too concerned, and I'm guessing it's because I don't eat gluten/eat a low carb diet.  I have started drinking more water and eating more often and that hasn't seemed to help.  Should I be concerned? 

Also, my blood pressure has gone up compared to when I was first pregnant.  It was like 80 something/55 before I got pregnant, and last night it was 122/60something.  I'm a little worried about that, and have started taking a garlic clove a day to help.  I feel great otherwise, have no other problems, and feel really good in general.

I am thinking if something was really wrong that I would have symptoms or feel like crap.  I am a nervous type in general, so it's like me to worry. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#2 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Without my looking this up online, I do know that eating more often could help with the ketones.  Be careful with the quality of carbs you are getting (like maybe more from veggies and less from breads etc).  For the blood pressure, my MW told me she has her clients take magnesium when their BP is going up.  I like concentrace mineral drops: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C6BMKQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000AMUWLK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PS5CZZZ1ZVRHZCS79XB  I can pick this up at the Whole Foods by me.  Natural Calm is another good one: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=212516&catid=183274&aid=338666&aparam=212516&scinit1=pla&scinit2={keyword}

I try to stay on top of my BP because my mom had high BP with all 3 pregnancies, although so far mine has been holding nice and low.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#3 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Are you getting enough protein & fluids? Salting your food to taste? Getting time to relax?

We're all getting to the stage where our bodies are massively increasing our blood volume. Blood pressure will go up, but without enough fluids & nutrients to sustain the increase in a healthy way, blood pressure will be more likely to increase more than  it should.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#4 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM

DDC crashing - 

Your systolic (upper number) has increased greatly, but your diastolic not so much.  Were you in a rush when you took it?  Was it with the same kind of cuff as previously?

I wouldn't be worried about it at those reading but keeping an eye on it and watch to see if it keeps climbing.  You likely would not feel horribly even if your BP went up greatly - many women even with severe preeclampsia feel fine.  When my blood pressure was 200/110 when I had my son, from my normal of 100/60, I had no noticeable symptoms.

Magnesium supplements have not been shown to have any effect on blood pressure.  The garlic clove can't hurt, but wouldn't do anything to stave off pregnancy-induced hypertension if that's what you are developing, and neither will all the protein in the world, unfortunately.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 11 Old 10-05-2011, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

element 2012- Thanks! My care provider recommended the magnesium too- she thinks it helps! So I will give it a try.

Devaskyla- I was pretty stressed the day she took my BP so it wouldn't surprise me if that was a contributor to it.  I will increase my water intake and start eating even more every few hours.  Hopefully that will help!  And you're exactly right- she said that about the blood volume increase too.

Bokonon- I was stressed the day she took it. She is not too concerned about it, and she thinks I wouldn't feel so great if something was wrong, so I'm going with it. I'm sure I'm just worrying unnecessarily.

#6 of 11 Old 10-05-2011, 07:33 AM

I have "white coat syndrome" - whenever someone remotely medical-ish, even if I like them and feel comfortable with them, comes at me with a blood pressure cuff the top number of my blood pressure spikes. This happened pretty dramatically when I met a new primary care I didn't like so much, but also did happen some with my old primary care whom I felt totally comfortable with and my midwife, who I also think is the bee's knees. My first bp with my midwife was 140/80 - high enough that she was keeping an eye on it, but not so high that she was really concerned, especially knowing about my tendency towards higher bp readings in doc's offices. I was concerned enough about it, not wanting anything to get in the way of having a homebirth, that I went out and got myself a cuff and tested myself a couple of times a day for a couple of weeks. My REAL upper numbers range between 115-130, depending on the time of day. And, surprise surprise, the next time my midwife tested my bp, it was in the mid-120's range - white coat syndrome is a self-fulfilling prophesy in some ways. The more nervous I am about getting my bp taken, the more likely it is to be high, so I get more nervous about it the next time.

All that said, my midwife does find that when her clients who have bp concerns eat a high protein diet, it helps. She also said that the midwives in her practice have seen good results with people taking cinnamon supplements as well, though I haven't looked into it because I haven't needed to.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#7 of 11 Old 10-05-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

futuremamaheather- I think that is part of my problem too.  I was nervous about having ketones in my urine again, and I think that raised my BP! I am going to take it at a time that I am not stressed out and see how that goes.  Thanks so much for your positive words! I need that.

#8 of 11 Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have had high amounts of ketone in my urine almost every appointment, I have also been sick the whole time too and losing weight.  I guess the ketones show up when your body thinks its starving.  Maybe the baby is taking more out of you then you realize and you need to add a little bit more to your diet.

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#9 of 11 Old 10-05-2011, 04:08 PM

You're welcome! If you don't have your own cuff, lots of places have them - any place that has a pharmacy seems to have a little do-it-yourself bp taking station these days. Just make sure you take a minute or two to calm down once you get into the store if you choose to try one of them - running in all flustered, sliding into the chair, trying to squeeze it into a list of errands won't result in a good reading. Ask me how I know eyesroll.gif That's how I ended up buying my own cuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorabelle View Post

futuremamaheather- I think that is part of my problem too.  I was nervous about having ketones in my urine again, and I think that raised my BP! I am going to take it at a time that I am not stressed out and see how that goes.  Thanks so much for your positive words! I need that.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#10 of 11 Old 10-06-2011, 09:23 AM

I had ketone issues at my last midwife appointment as well.  She was like, "Are you hungry?"  Um, yeah, but I had just polished off three slices of pizza about an hour prior to that. 

I try to make a concerted effort to eat throughout the day, but I feel like I'm ALWAYS hungry, and all of the eating gets tiring after awhile!

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#11 of 11 Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

I know! I feel like I eat ALL the time! 

I took my BP today- it was 107/56.  I think I was just stressed and nervous at my last appointment.  I am very happy! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page