How to keep Jan. baby warm out and about? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mama's! I haven't been able to participate as much in this DDC because my 17-month-old keeps me pretty busy. She was born in May, so going out of the house consisted of grabbing a light burp cloth and heading out the door. I am trying to think ahead and wondering what the best set-up is for trips out of the house. My understanding is that fleece buntings/jackets are acceptable for children to wear while in the car seat? I am thinking of not going with a baby bucket carseat as I find them a bit cumbersome but am wondering if I will regret that choice with a toddler in tow during the winter. So- blanket/bundle me over car seat, put baby in bunting then in beco carrier, then have to unbundle them once inside somewhere? Sounds exhausting and am hoping someone has better suggestions. Thanks! I'm also wondering if I should splurge for a fleece cover for the Beco-my jackets aren't big enough to fit around baby too and it gets quite cold here in MA.

Mama to L 5.12.10 ...Expecting another 1/1/12!

#2 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 07:32 AM

My DD was born in late Oct in MI.  We kept her warm while out and about by doing a lot of layers and baby wearing.  My friend gave me this awesome polar fleece pouch, which I wore under a huge coat.  I usually dressed DD in baby legs, a diaper, regular pants, a onesie and a sweater and if it was really cold a little bunting type thing.  She always had a hat, socks and baby shoes on too.  I covered her hands with mittens or a blanket that went over her car seat.  Once she was in a carrier, she didn't need mittens.

Healthcare is a human right!
#3 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I am in Minnesota, so this is for sure a concern of mine as well! I bought a lightweight bunting that won't impair the carseat straps. Otherwise, I figure I will use warm blankets on the way to and from the pre-heated car. I didn't want to go with a bucket car seat either. I don't mind putting a baby into my jacket in a sling, but sometimes it can take too long when you are standing outside in a parking lot trying to get the baby into the jacket and it would just be faster to scoop and run :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#4 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 AM

I will say that we did use a bucket until April for our DD and it was a real blessing for getting in and out of the house and the places where we were going. 

Healthcare is a human right!
#5 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 12:24 PM

My DS was also born in May, so I've been thinking about this, too. I plan to use an infant bucket seat until spring or summer. After talking to a few local friends, I heard a lot about how much easier it was to put the baby in the seat in the house, then bring them to the car nice and warm. Plus, then the seat is already warm. Although I hate lugging that thing around, I can see how it is a good idea early on and in cold weather. When I go out without the car, I'll wear the baby, but that's my plan.

If your concern is that you don't have a bucket seat, one thing you could consider is trying to find a trusted friend to borrow one from. I am considering this, since our seat expires at the end of December (bummer!!) and I don't want to buy a new one unless I have to. I'm hesitant to use an expired seat, though, because even though it is probably fine for at least the next 6 months, I worry that if we were to get in an accident, there could be issues with insurance coverage.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#6 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 12:49 PM

My first was a March baby while my second was January.  Around here that's cold for both kids.  We do a bucket until the bitter cold stops and then jump to a convertible.  I will say that I don't put my kids in coats or anything - toss 'em in the bucket, throw a blanket over the top (even my five y/o still gets this treatment, but she tosses on a coat when we get to the destination) and run into where ever we are going.  It works great for us and everybody has their own blanket so there is no arguing over who gets what.

L'lee - what type of bucket do you have that is expiring?  I have a Snugride/22 that expires this December with a DOM of December so I'm making the executive decision to reuse it for 2-3 months.  My logic is that Graco gives *up to* eleven months of "cushion" for their seats as they all expire in Dec, regardless of DOM.  So, technically, I can go eleven months with it...I won't, but I can.  In fact, I just bought a used Snugride/22 on Craigslist for $10 with a cover that I love and am going to use that on my (known and confirmed) safe seat.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#7 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 01:29 PM

Someone has already mentioned this, but I just wanted to make sure everyone is aware to never, ever use an after market product between baby & the seat. The cap style covers for the bucket that just go over the top with elastic are fine, but not the ones that go under the baby.

We don't have a car, though I wish there were some way we could get one for the winter, so I just wear baby under my coat in the winter. If you have to be out without a car or don't want to use a bucket, I really highly recommend making sure you have a coat big enough to put baby under too. With ds2, I bought a warm coat from the thrift store that was big enough to go over us both. For ds3, I had a Kindercoat. It's falling apart now (I've had it since ds2 was 1 & it's worn every time I go out, snaps on the fleece part have broken) but it's basically still usable. It is so easy to keep baby warm with them under your coat with you & then you can just take your coat off when you get to your destination.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#8 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 02:02 PM

^^^ A big coat really is key to baby wearing in the winter. I have two wool coats that I just cycle through to keep us both warm. Good call, devaskyla!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#9 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 10:43 PM

Also, make sure you already have your wrap on, it will be easier to just pop the baby in. if you're wearing a coat all the better.

I would probably invest in a few baby hats.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#10 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

I intend to buy one of those babywearing coats.  Then all i have to do is put on the coat to keep us both warm. They are expensive though. My other babies were born in august and end of march, so i didnt need one then.

#11 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 05:43 PM

I plan to dress my baby in wool whenever we are headed out of the house. I will probably also get a fleece car seat cover or blanket for the bucket seat. I also have a remote car starter to pre-warm the van. 

I do plan to wear my baby because I find the bucket seat to be a PITA. I will most likely get some oversized winter coat to cover us both. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#12 of 12 Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 PM

If you or anyone you know can sew, there's a few good patterns/instructions online to make any coat into a babywearing coat. Or you can just use a coat that's big enough to go around you. The one I used with ds2 buttoned up so I could do the buttons under his head, leave a hole & then button up to my neck.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page