Holy weight gain.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looks like I failed my plan for a "fit" pregnancy by far. I weigh more right now than I did at delivery with my last two babies (can't say the same for my first--I gained 75lbs with her because I was very young and believe I really needed to eat for two so I ate twice as much. I lost it all well before my 2nd preg). 

I think I've gained exactly 30lbs already....I'm 27 weeks but measuring 4 weeks ahead. My ankles look like trunks and my thighs and buttocks are just big sacks of cellulite. Part of me loves it (because it makes me appreciate how beautiful my pre-preg body was that I took for granted and put down all.the.time) and part of me is disappointed in myself because I still have at least 10 weeks to go, if not more! My midwife was NOT happy that I gained 12lbs last month! After I saw her, I started exercising every day but now my lower back is hurting a lot and I can't move as much as I need to (I'm going to see my chiro this week to see if it helps). I go through phases were I eat super super healthy and then I'll have a day where I CRAVE carbs and junk and the vicious cycle begins again and I have to work on my mindset to get myself back on track. I know what I need to do but I feel kinda like it's too late.

I'm not looking forward to this weight hanging on after he's here. With my last, I was back to my pre-preg weight by the time she was 4 months old. But I only gained 31lbs total with her. I'm just worried about how much harder it will be this time to lose the weight. I'll probably gain 45lbs total and I'm 5 years older this time as well....I just wish I appreciated my pre-preg body when I had it! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 04:01 AM

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I gained a lot of weight with my first. Being a "skinny" girl, this was really rough on my self image, but I think it was just what my body needed. Most of it did come off, though I had a couple kg to go when I got pregnant this time. I don't think I'm gaining as fast this time, and we're having a girl. Last time it was a boy, and I was always hungry. I wonder if the baby's sex has anything to do with it?

As long as you're trying to eat well and get some exercise, I'd hope that your midwife would be ok with the gain. Maybe lock up the junk food? Chips, for instance, have been banned from our household, as I too often end up eating the whole tin. redface.gif Or maybe reward yourself with a treat only after you've met your exercise goal for the day?

I walk a lot because we only use the car when buying big/heavy things. So, I walk to the grocery store and other small shopping, to the park with my son, etc. But I really need to do "real" exercise (pregnancy workout videos) more often, too.

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:04 AM

i'm 27 weeks, too, and i gained 7 lbs at my last monthly check-in.  Midwife said it was growth spurt time, but not a weight gain curve i should try to follow.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I had about 2 pounds weight gain at my 12 week appt. Then i didnt go back until i was 22 weeks. I had gained 18 pounds  in 10 weeks!! I couldnt believe it, because i exercise alot  (getting my son to school  has been a nightmare because he doesnt have a bus yet)

I dont know, im, dubious about the weight thing. I gained 60pounds in my last 2 pregnancies. I think its my normal.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 AM

ps.  it took me about 2 years to get back to my normal weight with both kids, and this was breastfeeding on demand. But hey,  breastfeeding gives you a hearty appetite, as does pregnancy.  I walk alot too, i dont  use a car, and try to avoid public transport. But as i get bigger, i find it harder to do the marathon walks i did before, so it is a vicious cycle.

If you are eating well, and getting adequate exercise, i personally wouldnt worry about the weight gain. Some of it is water retention too. 

Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I hear ya OP!  I am up about 22 pounds so far, as someone who has been athletic and slim, the weight gain has been harder on me than I imagined it would be.  I can only recommend to be extremely diligent about the quality of the food you are eating, that's what my MO has been for the last 10 weeks and my weight gain hasn't spiked too bad yet the baby is still getting lots of quality food (I spiked a lot in first tri).  One more thing about the cellulite, my booty and thighs are looking pretty sad too, but have you tried dry skin brushing?  I use a dry skin brush vigorously on those areas before I shower, and while it doesn't completely erase the cellulite, it helps, A LOT.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I was a strong and lean 145 lbs. pre-pregnancy (looking great at 5'10"!) and now I'm at 180 lbs. and gaining (that's 35 lbs. in 26 weeks).  I felt bad at first, but my midwife is LOVELY and keeps reminding me "you're growing a human being inside you".  She asked me to track my meals in a journal for one month, and it really helped me to feel good about what I was eating because I saw that for the most part I was doing a great job of balancing my nutrient intake, without depriving myself of the occasional treat.  I've also been checking my blood sugar, so I know the weight gain is not GD-related.  My body is just retaining fat, which is normal and necessary for growing a baby and preparing to b/f (my mom gained 60 lbs. with each pregnancy and then got thinner than her pre-pregnancy weight, so there's hope).  I walk every day and do light resistance training/stretching a few days a week, and I feel pretty good considering... I just wish I didn't have the beginnings of a double chin and those little fat rolls that pop out between my arms and boobs! 

Honestly, I think where we have to be careful is post-pregnancy... My SIL (who bottle-fed, mind you) started hitting the Bailey's and Starbucks after she gave birth, and she got HUGE!!  Her DH is rich and sent her to a fat camp in So Cal, which didn't do her any good because as soon as she lost some of the weight she accidentally got pregnant again. lol.gif  So that's where my focus is going to be, on the post-pregnancy maintenance/weight loss...

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Well, I have gained 53, 32, and 45lbs in my first three pregnancies, and the recovery was the easiest by far with the 32lb one.  I have blood pressure issues, was on bedrest the first time for my entire 3rd trimester, and with the last one it spiked so high after the birth I thought I might die. So, I'm aiming for the 30's again this time.  I don't care about the actual weight itself, just the difference it made in my comfort and health both during pregnancy and after.

So far I have gained 22lbs in 28 weeks and am on track for ~35lbs or possibly a bit less.  I'm definitely not depriving myself of treats either lol.gif  But trying not to overdo it.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM

i don't know how much i've gained this time around- i haven't been paying attention to the numbers, but i feel much larger than i'm used to at this point.  i'm pretty much convinced it's cause i'm carrying a girl this time.  i gained a LOT with my first baby, and gained much, much less with my second and third, when i really focused on fitness and diet.  in each pregnancy, the weight gain was concentrated in my belly.  this time, i've been obsessive about the food i'm eating, and i'm really, really diligent with the exercise, but geez, i feel so much bigger than i'm used to.  my face is big, my thighs are big, my butt... dumps like a truck, man.  i've actually struggled with body image, for the first time in any of the pregnancies i have had, which is totally not like me at all.  pregnancy is usually when i feel the most beautiful in my body.

i'm telling myself that i *feel* good.  i'm eating foods that make me feel really good inside and doing lots of exercise that helps me feel strong.  i have to trust that my body knows what it's doing, i suppose.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 10-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Don't be hard on yourself for gaining "too much". There is way too much pressure to stay within certain parameters: i.e., "you must gain at least this much, but no more!" and it's stressful if you fall outside the parameters in either direction.

I'm at 28 weeks, and only 8 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight-- and I wasn't overweight to begin with. It's been a struggle to keep weight on. I have this enormous-looking starving-famine-child belly, while my butt has disappeared and my arms have gotten all stringy-looking. Please, baby, let me have my butt back when this is over! I lost a bunch of weight in the first trimester with the nausea, and then for the next two months I was doing really well-- got back up to pre-pregnancy plus some-- and then got really bad gastroenteritis and lost 9 pounds in 4 days. I am still trying to get back up to what I weighed a month ago so my MW won't yell at me (again). Three more pounds to go...

Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM

I had an appointment earlier this week and apparently have had a growth spurt too, I gained 6 pounds last month. Your body is going to gain what it needs to gain, IMO. As long as you are eating healthy foods then the weight gain is a good thing.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunteater View Post
I have this enormous-looking starving-famine-child belly, while my butt has disappeared and my arms have gotten all stringy-looking. Please, baby, let me have my butt back when this is over!

I'll just say that I am not large to start with and gained 18 with my first and 16 with my second, but I had the lost butt issue, too.  It came back even better post-baby...both times!  As of right now I'm up 6 pounds at 25w and my butt/thighs have already left the picture.  Let's hope your rear comes back even better!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 10-12-2011, 09:57 PM

I seem to be gaining a pound a week. Still have 12 weeks to go .....so I figure if I stay on this path I can count on gaining 12lbs by birth. I was hoping to be a "fit" prego too. lol 

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 AM

I just got back from the midwife and I gained 10 pounds this past month!!  Yikes!  About 20 pounds total for the pregnancy....guess I need to cut out my daily trip to Dunkin Donuts!!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

I'll just say that I am not large to start with and gained 18 with my first and 16 with my second, but I had the lost butt issue, too.  It came back even better post-baby...both times!  As of right now I'm up 6 pounds at 25w and my butt/thighs have already left the picture.  Let's hope your rear comes back even better!

You have no idea what a relief that is to hear! 

Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

I feel so much better now that I just put it out there. Of course it feels good to be in good company but typing it out on this board helped bring some clarity. It's all good. I need not compare myself to other women's shapes and sizes. I accept that my body knows what to do and that all of my new curves will be my gift of rich milk to my baby in a couple of months. That said, I'm focusing on listening to my body. I swear I eat more when I focus on the scale because it puts me on this cycle of self-hatred talk. It's just a damn number! I'm not! namaste.gif

Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 PM

I had a similar "growth spurt" this month too.  My midwife says it's pretty common at this point in pregnancy.  Your blood volume goes through another big increase, I think the baby actually gains about a pound (from 1 to 2lbs), and your uterus makes room for the larger baby.  So I'm going to say that counts for at least 3lbs so I only gained 5 ;)

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post

I had a similar "growth spurt" this month too.  My midwife says it's pretty common at this point in pregnancy.  Your blood volume goes through another big increase, I think the baby actually gains about a pound (from 1 to 2lbs), and your uterus makes room for the larger baby.  So I'm going to say that counts for at least 3lbs so I only gained 5 ;)

It is a super normal growth spurt time. In my office, it isn't unusual to see women right around this time (between the 24-28 week visit) put on 7-10lbs in a month and then it levels out again to 1lb a week or so. I consider it a good sign :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 AM

Dont hate yourself! Your body is working hard enough as it is without that negativity. Be in awe of your body instead. I mean, its amazing! And the uterus is one big muscle, its has to get bigger and bigger, and thats alot of weight right there, not to mention the blood volume like pp mentioned (thanks for reminding me)

I go with my appetite, because i really cant stand feeling weak and hungry. Whatever my body is telling me to eat, it gets. Im craving less fatty things now (was going crazy in the first trimester with fats, like butter, avodcado, olive oil, cococut oil, cream, full cream yoghurt with sour cream on top,  wherever i could add fat-   i added them,(minus the trans fats of course) yet didnt put on any weight then)

I havent the faintest idea what my  butt or hips look like, but it probably isnt sexy, just bigger, and im waddling around like a duck. My breasts are looking pretty good though ;-)

Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 AM

I'm up about 25 lbs, about the same as last pregnancy at this point. I'm OK with that (even though I wish it had been a bit less - lol! I really don't need more weight!) BUT I'm a little nervous because last time I started gaining pretty quickly in the 3rd trimester - from weeks 28 to 32, I gained 13 lbs, and from 32 to 36 I gained over 17 lbs! I have to think that some of it was water weight. After DS was born, I lost 25 lbs SUPER fast while BFing (and eating tons of trail mix night and day - LOL!), but then it was harder after that. On the other hand, DS was born just after 37 weeks and weighed almost 7 lbs and was very healthy, so maybe it's good that I (and therefore he!) gained so much to give him a good start?

It is hard, especially for those of us who started out overweight (I was about 35 lbs over my "ideal maximum weight" according to charts, so according to every recommendation I've seen I should have only gained 15lbs total over the whole pregnancy - yeah, right!), but we have to try to remember that the important part is the baby, and even though it can be difficult to lose weight afterwards (especially as we get older), that is a better time to do it. As long as you are eating (mostly) healthy foods, I really don't think it matters how much you gain. Our society sucks big time when it comes to having us women feel good about our bodies, and that is really a shame.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 AM

WTH!  I was so careful of my diet all week, 2300-2500 cals each day, very little sweets and going to the gym and I gained 3 freakin' pounds in 1 week.  I feel like I'm going to cry!  I guess I will just have to start doing a food journal or something and swear off sugar all together.  I just can't gain another 30lbs bawling.gif

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 AM

sarah, did you eat a lot of salty foods, or drink enough water?  i find that i retain a lot of water (extra weight!) when i add salt to my food, or when i haven't chugged enough water throughout the day.

while cutting down/out sugar is never a bad thing, keep trusting your body!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 AM

I've gained about 20lbs so far, at 28wks. To be honest, I really don't give a crap how much I gain this pregnancy, LoL! I am probably a little more relaxed because with all my babies, breastfeeding has done WONDERS for taking the weight off FAST. But the biggest difference this pregnancy is that after our son died last year, little things like weight gain are at the bottom of my list of concerns.

I know it can be sucky to gain more weight than you wanted to. I know it can be super sucky to outgrow your MATERNITY clothes, lol! But as long as you and baby are safe and sound, try to enjoy it! Enjoy your pregnancy, the miracles your body is performing underneath your skin, and the precious baby who won't care WHAT you look like when s/he is born! Your pregnancy is such a short, short time in your life. In the grand scheme of things, even if you gained 100lbs this pregnancy, these 9 months don't have to ruin your body for life. smile.gif

Milly, stumbling horribly on God's path, married to my amazing Superhero, and mama to my 3 awesome boys, and my amazing rainbow baby girl!  Missing our Little One, lost 11/09, and our son, stillborn 11/10

Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 AM

milly, that's a beautiful perspective on things.  thanks for the reminder of what is truly important!

(and i totally agree about the breastfeeding!)

Old 10-18-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly_P View Post

I know it can be super sucky to outgrow your MATERNITY clothes, lol!

During our last heat wave last week, I realized I outgrew my maternity shorts.  Glad to hear I'm not the only one, and thank you for putting things into perspective.  Thank goodness for healthy bodies that know what babies need!  :)

Old 10-22-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly_P View Post

I've gained about 20lbs so far, at 28wks. To be honest, I really don't give a crap how much I gain this pregnancy, LoL! I am probably a little more relaxed because with all my babies, breastfeeding has done WONDERS for taking the weight off FAST.

Thanks for sharing that perspective! It's the truth! I've been feeling good about my body since I wrote the OP. Last week, I even told my midwife that I didn't want to hear anything more about my weight or food. She was giving me meal/snack suggestions (again) and it felt disempowering. My bloodwork came back fine and I do not have the gestational diabetes they were more or less expecting me to have. My blood work was "perfect". My body knows what to do! I eat healthily....yes, at times I indulge out of pleasure or stress-release....but it doesn't mean I'm "bad" or "not enough" or "not beautiful" or "out of control". The weight does come off and transforms into liquid gold for my baby! So be it! 

Old 10-22-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

Thanks for sharing that perspective! It's the truth! I've been feeling good about my body since I wrote the OP. Last week, I even told my midwife that I didn't want to hear anything more about my weight or food. She was giving me meal/snack suggestions (again) and it felt disempowering. My bloodwork came back fine and I do not have the gestational diabetes they were more or less expecting me to have. My blood work was "perfect". My body knows what to do! I eat healthily....yes, at times I indulge out of pleasure or stress-release....but it doesn't mean I'm "bad" or "not enough" or "not beautiful" or "out of control". The weight does come off and transforms into liquid gold for my baby! So be it! 

joy.gif Can I just tell you how much I LOVE what you just wrote???

User Tag List