To squat or not to squat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Squatting during pregnancy has come up in a few threads so far, and I thought maybe it's a good topic to discuss.There are varying recommendations on the subject, some advice I've read says that it's not "safe" to squat below a 90 degree angle during the third trimester. Others advise that deep squatting can be useful up to 37 or 39 weeks, and especially useful during active labor.

Articles

http://onefitmom.ca/2011/03/16/squat-or-not/

http://www.articlesbase.com/womens-health-articles/full-squat-during-pregnancy-to-do-or-not-to-do-661743.html

From what I've read it seems to depend upon the individual. Personally I'm a squatter. Not the squat to exercise girl, but a there's nowhere to sit I'll squat comfortably like an old Korean women (as a roommate with a Korean MIL once phrased it) type of squatter. Flat footed deep squats are not a problem for me, in fact they're comfy. That said, I'm probably atypical for this society. I plan to squat until I can't. And I honestly don't expect to reach that point. I'm a first time mother, but it seems extremely likely that during active labor, I'll be a-squatting.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or advice to offer?

#2 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 11:09 AM

I just can't fathom why people think that squatting needs to stop at any point because, as I mentioned in another thread, squatting is common in the majority of the world to urinate and defecate.  Sure, I understand the concern if the fetus is in a breech position, but squatting, in itself, isn't a bad thing.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#3 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

I just can't fathom why people think that squatting needs to stop at any point because, as I mentioned in another thread, squatting is common in the majority of the world to urinate and defecate.  Sure, I understand the concern if the fetus is in a breech position, but squatting, in itself, isn't a bad thing.

Agreed, but it's also important to note that in cultures where people squat to urinate and defecate, women also seem to have a lower incidence of breech babies because the type of lifestyle they lead encourages babies to engage head-first.  I'm no expert, but I can see how late-term squatting might be a concern in developed countries where our lifestyle (sitting in reclining chairs, long car trips, lounging on the couch) has led to a higher number of breech babies... However, as my midwife said, breech babies account for only 3% of births, so it's very likely that most of us won't have to worry about this and can happily squat throughout the third trimester.

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#4 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 04:29 PM

I'm squatting away too! It's how I pick things up these days, and it feels soooo good after a night of side-sleeping aka hip-squishing...

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM

DDCC from Nov. to say that squatting has been the one comfortable thing this pregnancy! I sometimes find myself squatting in the aisle at the grocery store pretending to look at things on the bottom shelf just so I can get some relief in my legs/hips/low back.

#6 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

ddcc - I think lack of squatting is a part of many of the problems we experience in our culture (not just childbirth related). That said I am not a natural squatter & have had to work hard to get good at it over many, many months but I squatted through this entire pregnancy (currently 10 days pp) deep & with heavy weights. So far my recovery is going great & I was able to squat to deal with my toddler pretty much immediately without concern about my pelvic floor (& I did tear as well). I think squatting was one of the best things I kept up with.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM

I had never heard that squatting could be perceived as a problem for some people.  I squatted throughout my first pregnancy and will continue to do it this time.  I just wouldn't be able to avoid it with a toddler around and I always squat down on the floor with my patients (dogs) since they are much more content on the floor rather than on the table.  At the end of my last pregnancy, I did have some clients insist on helping me up from the floor, though, because I was so pregnant!  :)

#8 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 PM

I am definitely a squatter too! I work as a Montessori toddler guide, so I am literally up and down to squatting ALL day long. Its true that it offers great relief from back/hip pain...

Mama to DD born 1/28/12, and baby #2 on the way in January '14!

#9 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 08:22 PM

Yeah I would only avoid squats if you know your baby is breech. 

#10 of 13 Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 AM

i'm a squatter myself. My last was born breech, so eh. But I always squat, pregnant or not. 

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#11 of 13 Old 10-18-2011, 01:24 PM

I'm also a squatter. I find its so comfortable for me these days, I can't imagine not doing it. Its a little tricky because my almost 4 yo likes to run up and hug me and sometimes knocks me down in the process ROTFLMAO.gifwhich can be embarrassing in public and she also sees a lap-like position and tries to sit on my knee or knees love.gif but it really is comfy and I plan on spending time in labor in that position too.

#12 of 13 Old 10-18-2011, 05:45 PM

Until these threads, the only concerns I ever heard about squatting was that at some points in labour/for some women for all of labour, it actually makes it harder for the baby to get out & that it can encourage baby to engage (which is only really a concern if you have preterm labour issues or baby is in a bad position).

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#13 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Can I admit that this is baby number 6 and I have never thought about this? Hmmmm

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page