I'm really upset... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm having a LOT of dental problems. 

I'm really pretty confident I have multiple abscesses. On the upper left side I had a tooth just chip in half and the dentist said I need a root canal done, normally I don't chew on my left side however I've had to because my right side is SO painful. But NOW, both my left side and right side hurt so much there is swelling and I can't chew. I seriously cannot chew, I'm sitting here crying writing this because I'm so hungry but it hurts so bad. I'm swallowing food that's hardly even chewed because I just need something to fill my stomach. 

I know I have to call the dentist because this can all be really dangerous to both me and the baby. However I'm having a really hard time dealing with the fact I'll likely be put on pain medication and I didn't want to take any sort of medications during my pregnancy. I haven't taken anything, ANYTHING and now that's ruined. I have to get x-rays done, I'll probably be put on a z-pak for infection, and I'll be injected with Novacaine. I'm just so sad.. and on top of that I just can't afford it. I hardly make any money, I have bill collectors calling and sending mail for lab work for medical bills, I have tuition and books, car payment and insurance, I still need baby stuff. Gas..and more gas to get to and from school and work. I'm SO stressed. 

Work is stressing me out, I need to work more (and find time to work more) but I get ONE 30 minute break per eight hours. No 10 minute breaks any time else, just one thirty minute break. My back is starting to really get sore from bagging groceries and lifting things. Nor any bathroom breaks, it's a CHORE to ask to go to the bathroom for 5 minutes. That's really stressing me out too, I can't afford to not work at all but at the same time I fear an injury from work that I can't afford either. 

Help. ): mecry.gifsurrender.gif

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#2 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 AM

Hugs hug2.gif

I know everything feels really scary right now, but you do have the power to take one step at a time.

Breathe. Everything is safe in the moment. 

Eat some mashed potatoes, fix yourself a smoothie, anything that is easy for your to eat in the moment.

Call your dentist. Re: dental drugs. Take that one step at a time, too. The path to take will surface. 

Ask your family for help with the small things so it doesn't feel overwhelming to ask them for something big. 

Thank you for reaching out. You are strong. You can do this. heartbeat.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#3 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writinglove View Post
You are strong. You can do this. heartbeat.gif

Absolutely.  You will get through this, Kaitlyn.

It sounds like you're more concerned about the drugs than anything so let's just talk about that.  Twenty years from now it's not going to matter that you took PAIN MEDICATION to your little girl.  Believe me, she isn't asking you to avoid getting help.  Instead, she likely really wants a safe, healthy mother.  Dental issues affect more than just your mouth and shouldn't be pushed under the rug.  Hopefully you can find a dentist that will allow you to work on a payment plan.  Or, if you're in a large enough city, you can seek out a dental program at the university.

I'm sorry you have so much weight on your shoulders right now.  You're going to pull through this.  I just know it.  I have faith in you.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 AM

Hey Tough Gal!

I'm sorry to hear things are hitting a wall for you right now.  I'm with writinglove--potatoes are your friend!  You can bake them in the microwave!  Sweet potatoes are packed with good things (I think they're too sweet though).  They're both cheap and easy, and sometimes that is ok.  We all have to do what works for us sometimes, even if we're trying to do it all 'right'.

My midwives made me feel a lot better about the x-rays I needed this pregnancy.  Obviously it isn't ideal, but the benefits sometimes outweigh the risks.  I'm sure your dentist will be willing to do the absolute minimum needed to keep you safe/comfortable without overdoing it.  Does your area have a dental clinic?  In our area there are places with a sliding scale for that sort of care, and if you're eligible for aid it often includes a dental appointment in pregnancy!

Veering off of your intended path does not mean all the work you've done was for nothing.  You've been giving this little girl the best you have for all this time and you still will.  You do have some say in how much/what meds you take through this, and an infection is much more dangerous than a short time on medication.  It's temporary.  One step at a time.  You can do this.

#5 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

You mamas are the best, really. I'm sad letting the medication thing go..but I'm not sure how I'd be able to deal otherwise. Money is (much like everyone else) such a big issue. A lot gets drained and not a whole lot goes in. The dentist I picked offers Care Credit, however I'm not sure they do a sliding scale or how I would go about finding one. Their prices are fairly priced..but even fairly priced is expensive! 

I feel like I'm always running - if I'm not at school, I'm at work, if I'm not at either of those I'm doing homework..I wake up early every day and have to be somewhere every day. I hope to God that this all pays off because I'm exhausted. I've been doing homework for roughly the last 45 minutes and have to remind myself to stay focused because the pain is so awful that I keep getting distracted. 

It doesn't help that I fear the dentist. I hate shots. I've had a root canal done before and remember all the needles they put in the tooth..just ugh. I really wish this could have waited until after delivery..but how am I supposed to survive Thanksgiving with achey teeth? It's my favorite holiday. (: lmbo

#6 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

The suggestions the others have offered are wonderful... I just wanted to add that I had a root canal done about a year ago, and what helped me a lot was to plug myself into my iPod and focus on the music, to disconnect myself from the procedure.  I told the dentist that I didn't want to see anything, to tap me on the shoulder when he was done.  Perhaps you can do this, too, and relieve some of the stress that the procedure might cause you.

Medication might not be ideal, but your situation is stressing you out, which in the long run could be more harmful both to you and the baby.  What you need right now is to get through this, your baby will thank you for doing what's best for your body so that things can settle down a little bit.

What kinds of things do you need for the baby?  I have lots of friends with babies who are constantly offering things their babies have outgrown.  I'd be happy to ask around and see if anyone can help out with some of the items you need!  Please don't be afraid to ask for help, you're not alone.  Stay strong!!!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#7 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 01:24 PM

:hug: That's a lot.  You might see if you qualify for Medicaid, because sometimes it covers dental work.

I know what you mean about letting go of the medication thing.  You know it's best for you and the baby though, but it's hard.  Hang in there.

Healthcare is a human right!
#8 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 03:01 PM

I echo everything the other mamas are saying. Medication is the for a reason. It's going to do more harm to baby for you to have all of this pain than for you to take care of it.

Food-wise, definitely drink smoothies. Find some frozen fruit at the best price you can, and blend it up with yogurt and banana. Tons of great pro-healing vitamins, and a probiotic yogurt will help you if you have to take anti-biotics.

I had my first child when I was barely 23 and still in school, and I learned that babies don't need a lot of stuff and they don't need new stuff. Get onto craigslst for a layette, ask a friend at work to throw a baby shower. I also learned that staying in school is worth it!

I would also suggest that you ta to your manager at work. He or she may not realize that you're struggling, especially since you're young and someone who likes to be busy and usually is energetic. He/she probably isn't deliberately being cruel, just maybe thoughtless. It won't hurt to ask for some opportunities to get off your feet, will it?

Hugs, I hope you get the dental stuff sorted out SOON. Just a thought....our local university has a program where dental students (supervised) offer free or low cost care. Maybe check into that?
#9 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 05:18 PM

OMG, no wonder you are super overwhelmed! I definitely agree that dental health is really important---I think the low risk of x-rays and painkillers are worth it in this case. The dentists will take the necessary precautions and you'll be in good hands. Are you eligible for Medicaid? What about visiting a local dental school's clinic for free or low-cost care? 

In the meantime, do whatever you can to lower your stress level even if it's just a mindset change. Work, school and bills will always be there. Take care of yourself.....take a deep breath, think positive...everything is going to work out!!!! One day at a time, one day at a time! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#10 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 05:40 PM

Have you considered not having a root canal & just having the tooth pulled? Cheaper, less drugs needed & after all my reading lately, far better for your long & short term health. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to have a root canal done.

I really hope you can get it taken care of sooner rather than later. Dental pain causes so many other issues, especially with nutrition.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#11 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With my first pregnancy I had two wisdom teeth crack and break in half.  I ended up getting the pulled when I was six or seven months along.  There were some x rays, but they loaded my torso with lead sheets to protect the baby as much as possible.  I was given two shots in my gum and then they yanked the teeth out.  I was prescribed Vicodin, but I didn't want to take it while pregnant, so I chose to take extra strength tylenol and ice it frequently.  It worked really well.  I was surprised that I wasn't in more pain.

Good luck!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#12 of 17 Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn811 View Post

I feel like I'm always running - if I'm not at school, I'm at work, if I'm not at either of those I'm doing homework..I wake up early every day and have to be somewhere every day. I hope to God that this all pays off because I'm exhausted. I've been doing homework for roughly the last 45 minutes and have to remind myself to stay focused because the pain is so awful that I keep getting distracted. 

I think you've gotten some great advice about your tooth pain... I hope everything works out for you! I just wanted to comment on this portion of your post... I've had a LONG and emotional day, as I've been working and going to school as well... I can relate SO much to your words. It's really exhausting, and I couldn't imagine having pain on top of it. Hugs to you mama. 

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#13 of 17 Old 10-19-2011, 03:13 PM

I just had some dental work done, as the dentist was concerned that the cavity not abscess and send bacteria into my bloodstream. I was quite concerned about the Novocaine and the baby, and talked with my dentist about that. I trust her advice, as she has four little ones and is quite crunchy and conservative when it comes to treatments during pregnancy and breastfeeding. She said that Novocaine is considered a topical drug and does not cross into the bloodstream, and so does not get shared with the baby. She also advised waiting until the third trimester if possible, just to reduce the risk more.

Talk with your dentist, and with your OB/midwife. Find out what they recommend, and what they see as concerns. When it's time to have the work done, wiggle your toes when they do the novocaine injections and anything else you are nervous about feeling pain during - it really helps to bring your mind away from your mouth!

hug2.gif

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#14 of 17 Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate you all taking the time to read my frustrations and responding. 

I feel overloaded - so many things happening at once! And I have TWO more classes starting next week (I'm taking three 14 week session classes [which are a bit quicker than normal classes], one 8 week session, and 2 'fast track' classes). I keep trying to tell myself it's only for a little while..and it will all pay off but I'm panicked! My mom tried scheduling an appointment for me yesterday since I was in class and both receptionists were rude to her and said that I only had a cleaning done and since I have 'gestational gingivitis' that my teeth would hurt but don't need a root canal. Really? The dentist told me I needed it done - and regardless don't try to tell me or my mother what I do and don't need done - especially since receptionists aren't there while the dentist is speaking. It doesn't solve the issue I haven't eaten something 'real' or totally solid is 2 weeks now. I couldn't even muster the energy today to call and try and work something out. I can't sleep - I have to pee all the time, I wake up horrified from dreams, and can't get comfortable = not a lot of sleep. Among every other stress in my life..my rational thoughts are a wee bit off sometimes and I had to seriously convince myself to not get on the highway and drive all the gas out of my tank and stay where ever I ended up (lmbo). 

So I suppose I'll try calling tomorrow..I try to prioritize things - I'm very organized, have everything listed, etc. But what happens when everything is pretty high priority? lol! 

My midwife says dental work now is pretty safe even for pregnant women..I suppose it's just a matter of my willingness to let go of wanting to be more 'holistic' and medication free. And my fear of shots/pins in my mouth/etc. 

Devaskyla - I asked, and they said they would advise getting it pulled for whatever reason..the dentist was foreign and talked quickly. I guess the reason why the tooth split in the first place was because it was a filling and the filling came apart which means the tooth gave out and now I'm left with a 'chunk' and they are concerned that food will get in there causing more of an infection. However, I know on my right side of my mouth (opposite of split tooth) I do get abscesses and I have one now and these suckers are PAINFUL. My teeth and gums hurt. Just incredible. Like, one problem at a time, PLEASE! lol

#15 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 07:02 PM

Kaitlyn- How are you, have you gone in yet?  It sounds like you have a pretty bad infection, which can hurt the baby and you more then the medication you would have to take.  I really hope you get on antibiotics really soon or are already on them.  The infection is probably pretty bad by now and would most likely be causing most of the pain.  I have been through this before and couldn't even move my jaw due to infection.  After 48 hours on the antibiotic I felt MUCH better and then was able to get the work I need done.  I had a cracked infected tooth pulled this pg too, I got 2 shots that are safe for pregnancy, antibiotics and took Tylenol for the pain and used ice a lot for the first 24 hours.  I could have gotten my tooth repaired and capped but it was a molar and I couldn't afford it, so out it came.  Anyways, I hope you are feeling better, I'll be sure to pray for you and your little one.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#16 of 17 Old 10-23-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't gone in yet ): I can't afford to take off work and when they are open I'm in school or work..there's a very small time frame I can go in. They are still insisting that it's just gingivitis and I just need to brush my teeth more. I think I'm going to look for a new dentist..I feel like I'm not being taken seriously. The pain HAS gone down some..it doesn't hurt constantly however it's still pretty painful to eat. I'm making do with what I can since time and money are tight so while I essentially 'shop' for a new dentist..I'm doing better. I think stress plays a factor in the pain as well..I have a lot going on but I'm trying to micromanage my time, although it's getting really hard to stay concentrated. As crazy as I am..I increased my hours a bit at work so I can hopefully afford a payment plan for any work I'll need. I'll be working 22-25 hours a week, and my classes will total 24 hours a week (that's the amount of time my butt has to be in the chair!) along with at least 10 hours of commuting time. Then I have to factor in homework, eating, and that whole sleep thing that pregnant women love..I'm trying not to panic but HOLY CRAP!!

#17 of 17 Old 10-23-2011, 04:37 PM

I have no idea what your diet is like, but have you looked into any of the threads in the dental or traditional foods forums on healing cavities through diet? I know several people who have healed cavities and other dental issues through diet changes (adding in good fats, bone broths, vegetables, no sugar, etc). I have found it very useful myself for dealing with tooth pain. May be worth a shot till you can get in to see a dentist.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page