Film recommendations for those who aren't taking classes... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not going to be taking any in-person birthing or lamaze classes, so I'm looking for some good film recommendations in lieu of such things. Also, any other film recommendations (i.e. breastfeeding, newborn care, etc.) are welcome.

Thanks!

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#2 of 13 Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM

Business of being born. I never took any childbirth classes. I wish i would have found that movie before i had my first, im so grateful i foundit before i had my third tho :) i cant wait for to see the sequel!

#3 of 13 Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Youtube is the great for homebirth videos. And yes BOBB. I've never taken classes either.

H2oMama likes this.

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#4 of 13 Old 10-18-2011, 04:54 PM

A Clear Road to Birth, although it can be hard to find.

Orgasmic Birth

I've heard good things All My Babies: A Midwife's Own Story - Watch the Documentary Film for Free | Watch Free Documentaries Online | SnagFilms

Pregnant In America

Definitely recommend homebirth & UC videos on youtube. I'm still open to pm'ing the link to mine if people would like to see it.

Some breastfeeding videos http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=videos

If you google newborn care videos, you'll find quite a few. Not sure if any of them are any good, though.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#5 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 01:58 AM

I'd love to see your homebirth video, Devaskyla.... if you are willing to share.  I'm always on the lookout for great ones.  I especially need ones with kids there to show my son how other kids have been through a birth at home.  (He's getting really excited!!)

#6 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

I watched The Business of Being Born about a dozen times before I even got pregnant! So freakin' good!

I suppose I'm looking for films that talk specifically about how to cope with labor...not just the general tidbits about staying calm and being around those you're comfortable with, but stuff more along the lines of specific breathing techniques and positions, etc.

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#7 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 08:29 AM

Does it need to be a film?  I only ask because, IMO, Childbirth Without Fear is a must read for any woman that desires a non-standard hospital birth.  It helped open my mindset.  Plus, it's a quick read.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#8 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

I was hoping for films mostly since I'm buried in books finishing grad school, but if you consider it a "must read," I'll look into it. I trust your judgment. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Does it need to be a film?  I only ask because, IMO, Childbirth Without Fear is a must read for any woman that desires a non-standard hospital birth.  It helped open my mindset.  Plus, it's a quick read.

#9 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 AM

I'm heavily leaning towards getting the HypnoBabies home study course: http://www.amazon.com/Hypnobabies-Study-Course-Expectant-Mothers/dp/B001I8E5TK

Many of the reviews mention using the hypnobirthing techniques for a (nearly) pain-free labor.  While I don't expect the course to provide make labor pain-free, I am looking forward to learning some techniques.  Plus, I like that it has 2 DVDs to watch with your partner. 

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#10 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 PM

Techniques, imo, can give u false expectations about labour. Simply remembering TO breathe, is enuf to get ur body doing what its best for. Remind ur hubby or doula to listento ur breathing and bring it to ur attention if they notice ur holding ur breath during anytime in labour. For me, id kinda forget to exhale kwim? 

Ur on the right track if uve watching bobb, so just dontworry about it, ull birth great now that u know u can trust urself.

books if u have time, Spiritual Midwifery is awesome! Or anything by ina may for that matter. Readingthose will def give u confidence.

happy birthing

#11 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

$148...ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

I'm heavily leaning towards getting the HypnoBabies home study course: http://www.amazon.com/Hypnobabies-Study-Course-Expectant-Mothers/dp/B001I8E5TK

Many of the reviews mention using the hypnobirthing techniques for a (nearly) pain-free labor.  While I don't expect the course to provide make labor pain-free, I am looking forward to learning some techniques.  Plus, I like that it has 2 DVDs to watch with your partner. 

#12 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoonunit View Post

$148...ouch! 

I know... I am keeping an eye on Ebay as well, have see it for around $100 there, might be able to find it for less.  You might even be able to post in MDC to see if anyone would like to sell you their copy.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#13 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 07:13 PM

You can get Hypnobabies used from their site sometime & it's quite a bit cheaper. If you just want the hypnosis tracks, I might be able to help. PM me.

Have you checked your local library? Sometimes they childbirth class videos.

PM'ing you moonSnail.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page