Changes in body chemistry - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-24-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I hope this isn't too gross but... I've been noticing that the smell of my sweat has changed markedly in the past few weeks.  Am I going nuts or is this pregnancy related?  I've been reading about pheromones, and how they sub-consciously signal to your partner that you are pregnant, breastfeeding, etc., and I was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#2 of 14 Old 10-24-2011, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm definitely stinkier than I was a few weeks ago.

#3 of 14 Old 10-24-2011, 04:43 PM

Yep, I've noticed since the beginning that my underarm...aroma...is more pungent than usual....

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#4 of 14 Old 10-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Both my best friend AND dh have occasionally commented "you smell like a baby"(!) Not sure what THAT'S all about.

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 14 Old 10-24-2011, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post

Both my best friend AND dh have occasionally commented "you smell like a baby"(!) Not sure what THAT'S all about.

I wish the smell were "baby"... but it's more like "onion". Sheepish.gif   Off to take another shower before my husband comes back from his business trip!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#6 of 14 Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 PM

Yeah, I'm afraid stinkiness is yet another of the many possible things you can expect during pregnancy. No clue why & it doesn't affect everyone.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#7 of 14 Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 PM

i hear ya on the stink thing.  my "smell" has always been a really good indicator for me, of what is happening with my body, hormonally.  i got that pregnant smell before i ever took a pregnancy test.  i stank a lot in the early weeks, and then it faded back for a bit.  i, too, am noting an uptick in the smell these days.

i always go through an especially "ripe" phase postpartum.  it kicks in a few days after birth, and i simply reeeeek for a few weeks.

interestingly, my youngest child has told me a few times in the last week that i smell like breasts.  i don't think he's referring to my armpits; i think he really does smell something changing in my breasts.  i'm intrigued, because he hasn't been nursing for a few months now- i wonder what he's picking up on.

ETA- i should say, i don't just walk around stinking up the place; i shower regularly and use deodorant.  i'm a hygienic hippie.  :)   i'm just especially perceptive of my smell.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#8 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 AM

I smell different... don't know if it's worse per se, but definitely different.  Part of it is that my boobs are definitely producing colostrum now and so I have this delightful aroma of slightly stale milk 24/7.  (My 2 year old is delighted by this but I could do without it.)

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#9 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom View Post

interestingly, my youngest child has told me a few times in the last week that i smell like breasts.  i don't think he's referring to my armpits; i think he really does smell something changing in my breasts.  i'm intrigued, because he hasn't been nursing for a few months now- i wonder what he's picking up on.

Yeah!  My husband has been able to pick up on that breast smell, too!  Bizarre, isn't it???

#10 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 AM

My guy has commented since the beginning that I smell differently. I notice it too, not bad more like baby. Kids and animals seem to react to it. Every pet in my life fights to cuddle up on my lap, we have three cats and I regularly do caregiving for a 91 year old and three dogs. Kids respond to me differently too, it's as if I smell like a Mommy now, especially to babies and toddlers that are breast fed.

#11 of 14 Old 11-03-2011, 12:07 AM

My husband hasn't mentioned a smell yet but I can smell a difference  bag.gif  if I could run away from myself I would. Lol I do have to say some days are better then others but I cant wait til its gone completely!

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

#12 of 14 Old 11-03-2011, 02:00 AM

I haven't noticed being stinkier, but I have noticed a desire to shower more often. I think it has to do with a lowered immune system and a heightened sense of gross-out about germs that I noticed with my last pregnancy too (it normally takes a lot to make me squeamish). Also, I use an all-natural deoderant while pregnant and switch to the industrial stuff when not (I'm a teacher, and remember thinking teachers were so darn stinky when I was a student, lol.gif , so I always make sure to smell ok), but I still haven't noticed any increase in smelliness. One thing I have noticed, and which I remember from last time too, is that my fingernails grow super fast now, but my body hair grows super slow. I can't see my legs at this point and wouldn't bother with them even if I could, but I'm still shaving the pits and they only need it like once a week. Ok by me!

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

#13 of 14 Old 11-03-2011, 08:18 PM

Oddly enough, I felt like I got less stinky during early pregnancy, and am now starting to smell slightly more, but still different than how i used to naturally smell when sweating. And I never used to sweat much before pregnancy but now find myself sweating more than I ever have, so there's that difference as well.

#14 of 14 Old 11-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Have not noticed any change in the way I smell, but then, I've never really been able to smell my own odor. What's funny to me is that since I've been pregnant, my husband smells different to me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page