Leg cramps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been noticing leg cramps more and more lately.

More specifically, I have had a charley horse/cramp in my left calf for almost a day and a half now and I am going crazy!!

It doesn't hurt all the time, I notice it when i am walking more often.  Massaging it doesn't seem to do anything for it.

I eat bananas all day long, so my potassium isn't low.  I feel like I am constantly stretching my legs out.

This is getting ridiculous.

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#2 of 23 Old 10-25-2011, 09:10 PM

You also need enough calcium & magnesium. Mostly magnesium, most people get too much calcium & not enough magnesium (calcium can't do anything without magnesium)

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 23 Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 PM

I've had something similar most of my life... restless legs syndrome (started when I was about 8 years old and runs in the family!) Pregnancy has made it SO much worse. Magnesium does help me - I have a liquid form that seems to act a lot faster than anything else I've tried.

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 23 Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I've been getting cramps around 3am every night... They're not sharp, more of a dull persistent ache on one leg or the other, but definitely annoying.  I wish I had a remedy to offer, instead of just commiserating. 

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#5 of 23 Old 10-26-2011, 03:07 PM

Yes! It drives me nuts. I get it in the middle of the night or if I stand in one place for too long. I try to "shake" my legs but it doesn't help much. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#6 of 23 Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 PM

i got my first one this morning.  thankfully, it lasted only a minute or so.  but it was in my upper thigh, which i've never experienced before- i remember getting them in my calves.  man, it really sucked.  i hope it was just a fluke, cause i've been trying to keep up with all of the right supplements and exercise and such.

total sympathy, my friends!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#7 of 23 Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 AM

I'm now getting them about 1-2/week.  Always waking me in the middle of the night.  Every time I get this urge to punch my husband (which I don't do!).

HCM is right...this sucks!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#8 of 23 Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

I am going on day 4 of my leg cramp.  I called the doctor and he told me since it has persisted this long that I should to go to the ER.  There is no reddness, but it is slightly swollen, so I worry it may be a blood clot.

Wish me luck ladies!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#9 of 23 Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 PM

what'd you find out, chili?

been thinking of you.  i hope all is ok, and that they give you a better idea of what is going on!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#10 of 23 Old 10-28-2011, 05:27 AM

Possible blood clot sounds scary.  Please update soon!

Angela
#11 of 23 Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Yikes! Any update?

#12 of 23 Old 10-28-2011, 03:05 PM

thinking of you, chili!  hoping for a good update soon!

#13 of 23 Old 10-28-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry it took me so long to update, but after spending 8 hours in the ER, everything is fine.

Apparently Thursday afternoon/evenings must be a busy time for the ER!

I had to wait forever just to get a doppler done on my legs.  Then, they weren't sure about things so they had three different techs come in to do it.

Eventually I was told it was a leg strain and sent home with Tylenol with codeine (which I have no intention of taking since it doesn't hurt THAT bad, I only went because of the persistance of the ache and the recommendation of my doctor).

I am pretty annoyed by the whole ordeal.

To make the day even better, I got home and finally got some food in me and my darned molar broke.  So I am now missing half of my tooth!! Luckily, it doesn't hurt, just more annoying than anything.

Not looking forward to finding a dentist that will work on me and let me do a payment plan since the one thing my insurance doesn't cover is dental.

What a day!

#14 of 23 Old 10-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Man, that sounds dreadful!  I didn't even know they did dopplers on legs.

Angela
#15 of 23 Old 10-28-2011, 06:49 PM

well, shoot, chili.  i'm sorry.  i mean, i'm happy that you don't have a blood clot, but i'm sorry that the ER was such an ordeal (isn't it always?), and that now you've got to worry about taking care of your molar.  can't a lady catch a break?

i hope that your leg stops cramping, though.  i know it must be tiresome.

#16 of 23 Old 10-28-2011, 09:41 PM

Glad everything is alright! The ER is a bit ridiculous hey? I hope you can find a good dentist and that your leg settles down soon. I'm imagining that you'll have to rest it for a short while, I hope that's possible to do too :)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#17 of 23 Old 10-31-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.  My leg has mostly calmed down.  It only starts acting up again after lots of exercise (like taking our 4 year old trick or treating tonight!)  But now that I know it is nothing serious, I can deal with it.

The tooth thing is annoying, but again, not unbearable.  I am waiting it out for a bit and hoping that I may be able to put it off until after the little one arrives.  Fingers crossed!

#18 of 23 Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Recently Iv been getting leg cramps. I always sleep on my left and the leg cramps are in my right leg... I read somewhere in here about increasing magnesium intake. Thanks for mentioning it ladies Im going to try it!! thumbsup.gif

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

#19 of 23 Old 11-06-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am noticing now, every morning when I wake up and I attempt to stretch in bed...immediate charlie horses.  Seriously?!

#20 of 23 Old 11-07-2011, 12:00 AM

Despite taking extra magnesium & potassium nearly every day, I'm still getting spasms/cramps. Mostly in my back, but this morning had a really bad one in my leg. Seriously considering taking 2 of each every day to see if that helps.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#21 of 23 Old 11-08-2011, 07:17 AM

I just had a terrible bout last week--every time I shifted in bed, I could feel them sort of 'threatening' so I tried to stay very still, but then got a terrible charlie horse--my husband was downstairs doing homework, I screamed for him to come help me, while he was trying to massage my leg and I was yelling out in pain, our toy poodle decided that my husband was attacking me, and started snarling and lunging at him...so I'm screaming OW OW OW!  trying to restrain our dog from attacking my husband, who's just trying to help!  I started back on the Cal-Mag, which has helped.  I can't eat bananas because of my dumb gestational diabetes. 

#22 of 23 Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 AM

I guess I can join the club because now I no longer have restless legs at night...I'm now having full-on charlie horses that hurt like hell and really disrupt my sleep. I even had one in the back of one thigh last night. Ughhhhhhhhh I'm so glad 37 weeks is around the corner! 

#23 of 23 Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I am so jealous of all you mommies that are due in the beginning of the month rather than the end like me!!!  dizzy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page