Baby Getting Hiccups Regularly - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For about a week or two I've been feeling some rhythmic pulses from the baby for about 10 minutes about once a day. I did some research, and it seems to be that my little one is getting hiccups. Anybody else experiencing fetal hiccups? Most of the research says it's healthy, and I'll be asking my midwife at our next appointment, but I always like to get insight from all spectrums...

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#2 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 02:36 PM

Yup, got them.  Yup, normal.  It's not painful on the baby.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 02:42 PM

I only got them with my first, but they made me happy as a way of saying "still alive and kicking in here, mom."

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM

My son had them constantly in the womb... and as an infant.  This baby, not at all.  I think it's normal either way.... I wouldn't worry at all. :)

#5 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Our babe gets 'em after mama eats too fast sometimes! I don't know if that's just a coincidence (because he/she gets them at unrelated times are well) but it's fun to watch my belly jump around :) 

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Normal. They should decrease as baby gets further along though. Mine all seem to barely get them in utero. This one hasn't had any yet. I know lots of women whose babies get them quite often, though. Mine seem to make up for it after birth.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#7 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My baby gets them several times a day. The only thing that I hate is that this little breech baby kicks my bladder with each hiccup :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#8 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Yep, my little one gets them every morning, whenever I wake up to go to the bathroom, or just at random throughout the day. Heh. He's been very active, so perhaps that's part of the reason why he gets them so often...my doctor said it's probably just part of his personality and told me to prepare for a very active baby!

#9 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My babe had them earlier in the pregnancy, every night when I would lay down to go to sleep.  At this point they've gone away for the most part, but from what I read it's completely normal and comes from the baby swallowing amniotic fluid (also normal).

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#10 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 PM

My DD has them a lot in the womb and the peanut I'm carrying now gets them a lot as well.  It's nothing to worry about and completely normal. winky.gif

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#11 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 07:17 PM

Hey anyone else feel the WHOLE baby hiccuping at once? I had been thinking that the hiccups would only be felt in one part (perhaps the head?) as they seemed to be more localized at first... but now I'm thinking that they just shake the whole womb these days!

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#12 of 22 Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 AM

I've got a very hiccupy baby, too!  At least once a day, sometimes more often than that.  I think it's pretty cute. luxlove.gif

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#13 of 22 Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 AM

I totally have a very hiccupy baby as well. My first was very hiccupy and still is to this day, my second rarely hiccuped in utero and rarely hiccups to this day. This one is super hiccupy and I have a feeling will be like big brother. lol

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#14 of 22 Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Part of me is happy when she gets them--a nice reminder that she's still alive and well winky.gif--but the other part of me feels bad for the poor thing. I know that I loathe hiccups, and I'd hate to have baby feeling uncomfortable. I also know that as a mother, that is something I am going to have to get used to, but I just can't help feeling bad for her!

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#15 of 22 Old 11-06-2011, 11:19 AM

I don't believe it bothers babies to hiccup (in utero anyways :) I've read that it's caused by contractions of the diaphragm, and that in order for a baby in utero to hiccup, they have have to have a well-developed nervous system. Is it suspected that hiccups might provide relief to babies by releasing pressure on growing organs and lungs. Apparently they are not painful at all.

#16 of 22 Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 PM

I kept reading that babies could get hiccups in utero (sp?), but didn't feel anything like that until this past Friday.  Very cool feeling :)  I sent my husband a text and he was so excited/thought it was so cute that he told everyone he was working with that day!

Theatre-techie at heart, married to a theatre-techie hubby,and mama to an incredible baby girl, (h20homebirth.gifJan 14, 2012) and expecting a surprise in July 2014!  We are having a blastbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif, andfemalesling.GIF.
#17 of 22 Old 11-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My baby had stopped hiccuping a while ago, but this past week it came back with a vengeance!  I can feel her little hiccups near my left hip bone, so I'm guessing that's the general area of where her back/lungs/diaphragm are.  It's not strong, though, but very repetitive and lasts a good long while!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#18 of 22 Old 11-13-2011, 07:28 PM

I have a baby who hiccups with her whole body. :) I can feel her whole back and bottom moving up with them. She gets them a couple times a day, usually.

#19 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 AM

The hiccups prepare them for breathing on the outside. It's like practice. I can only feel them first thing in the morning. 

#20 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM

My son got them every day around the same time from maybe 30 weeks onward... it was so funny, you could practically set a watch by it.  What was even funnier:  it persisted for several months after he was born.  That point in the afternoon would hit and all of a sudden he'd have the hiccups for 10-15 minutes.  He would get this really great look of surprise/confusion on his face when it was happening.  Ah, I kind of miss that...

This baby didn't start hiccuping that I noticed until maybe a week ago.  Not noticing it every day but with the anterior placenta, everything feels kind of different this time anyhow. 

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#21 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 11:52 AM

My little fetus gets the hiccups pretty often, definitely daily at 32 weeks. I didn't know what they were at first and would think it was weird how rhythmically these little kicks felt. Then out of nowhere it clicked and I was like "oooooh! hiccups!" They are so cute :)

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#22 of 22 Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM

My LO gets hiccups daily.  I can feel the hiccups way down low, like by the pubic bone.  I thought that the baby was still breech, but maybe that is a butt and not a head I am feeling up near the top of the womb.  I sure hope so!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page