Any other moms with HUGE appetites and lots of weight gain? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 113 Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseywhitney View Post
 I also went from a c cup to a g cup. 

yikes.gif REALLY!? How come my boobs hardly grow at all during pregnancy and other mamas grow like you. I was a small 36B before and now I'm a very full 38-40B. I'm usually a super full C when my milk comes in and that's it. Blah. I want big boobs to go with my big butt!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#62 of 113 Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 PM

I unapologetically ate about 1000 calories of shortbread cookies today... the ones straight from the UK, which are basically sticks of butter and apparently 270 calories EACH for a little @#%$ing  cookie...

Oh well, baby is supposed to be gaining fat, right? ;)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#63 of 113 Old 12-06-2011, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

I keep reading that at this point in pregnancy our stomachs are so squished by the baby pushing on it that we're ok eating smaller portions- why is this not true for me? I had a GIANT tuna sandwich today (I mean really, it was huge- like more than my DH would even eat) on whole wheat bread and still had room for an apple and other snacks to go with it. My tummy didn't even feel the slightest bit bloated afterward. Just 3 hours later in my knitting class, I was STARVING again, got home and ate a pile of scrambled eggs and turkey bacon

Anyone else here able to eat a lot at once?

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#64 of 113 Old 12-07-2011, 02:55 AM

Um, yes, Celticqueen, that's totally my experience too and I'm expecting three babies. Everything I read about mulitples pregnancy said -- gain tons of weight and gain it fast because you won't fit anything in that stomach after like 25 weeks or so. I put myself on a strict 4000 calorie a day diet (though all good food -- whole grains, good fats, protein, veggies, etc. with a daily huge bowl of HagenDaaz Belgium Chocolate ice cream just in case I didn't meet my 4000 goal: expensive stuff, but I figure we're spending less on wine and beer now).

I'm measuring at like 47 weeks pregnant now, and can still shovel it in -- real size portions -- like 6 times a day with snacks in between. No stomach shrinkage here, no. I am 6' tall, though, so maybe there's room in my torso for both triplets and a real size stomach.

I say, if you're hungry, eat! I'm proud of my 70 pounds that I've gained. And if there's some extra padding for after birth, all the better for breast feeding. :)

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

#65 of 113 Old 12-07-2011, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post

I unapologetically ate about 1000 calories of shortbread cookies today... the ones straight from the UK, which are basically sticks of butter and apparently 270 calories EACH for a little @#%$ing  cookie...

Oh well, baby is supposed to be gaining fat, right? ;)

Ohhh, those shortbreads are the best... Yum!!!  Look, we have a few more weeks of guiltless eating, let's make the most of it. :)  I'm putting extra Irish butter on my toast today, in your honor. ;)

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#66 of 113 Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post

I keep reading that at this point in pregnancy our stomachs are so squished by the baby pushing on it that we're ok eating smaller portions- why is this not true for me? I had a GIANT tuna sandwich today (I mean really, it was huge- like more than my DH would even eat) on whole wheat bread and still had room for an apple and other snacks to go with it. My tummy didn't even feel the slightest bit bloated afterward. Just 3 hours later in my knitting class, I was STARVING again, got home and ate a pile of scrambled eggs and turkey bacon

Anyone else here able to eat a lot at once?

I was like that with my first pregnancy - I could eat a whole pizza or 3 giant plates of spagetti without thinking twice!  My mom and husband would just stare at me in disbelief!  Never felt full or uncomfortable from eating so much.  I figured I was so sick from hyperemesis until the last few weeks, that I was making up for not being able to keep anything down for months and months.  With this pregnancy I'm still eating regular portions, maybe even a little less, but I wasn't as sick this time around.

#67 of 113 Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaya View Post

Um, yes, Celticqueen, that's totally my experience too and I'm expecting three babies. Everything I read about mulitples pregnancy said -- gain tons of weight and gain it fast because you won't fit anything in that stomach after like 25 weeks or so. I put myself on a strict 4000 calorie a day diet (though all good food -- whole grains, good fats, protein, veggies, etc. with a daily huge bowl of HagenDaaz Belgium Chocolate ice cream just in case I didn't meet my 4000 goal: expensive stuff, but I figure we're spending less on wine and beer now).

I'm measuring at like 47 weeks pregnant now, and can still shovel it in -- real size portions -- like 6 times a day with snacks in between. No stomach shrinkage here, no. I am 6' tall, though, so maybe there's room in my torso for both triplets and a real size stomach.

I say, if you're hungry, eat! I'm proud of my 70 pounds that I've gained. And if there's some extra padding for after birth, all the better for breast feeding. :)

TRIPLETS!? jaw2.gifWow! Congratulations! 

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#68 of 113 Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Apple cider vinegar capsules can help with water retention, fyi. :)

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#69 of 113 Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

Apple cider vinegar capsules can help with water retention, fyi. :)

Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneboymum View Post

I was like that with my first pregnancy - I could eat a whole pizza or 3 giant plates of spagetti without thinking twice!

Yeah...Same here. It's really difficult to feel satisfied lately. Last baby was 9 pounds...My midwife is trying to get me to stop eating carbs all together (or severely limited) but I just don't think I can. I already have a feeling this baby is going to be bigger than 9 pounds! 

#70 of 113 Old 12-08-2011, 10:27 AM

I cannot.stop.eating. What the heck is going on!? I eat a full meal and then I swear less than 2 hours later I'm starving...full on stomach growling! 

#71 of 113 Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

I cannot.stop.eating. What the heck is going on!? I eat a full meal and then I swear less than 2 hours later I'm starving...full on stomach growling! 

I go through waves like this.  I'll be maniacally hungry for a few days then back to normal.  After my last maniacally hungry phase, like a week or two ago, I went from "Aw you're so tiny" to "Wow, how much longer?".  So I think when baby goes through a growth spurt, we are just here to do the eating for them lol.gif

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#72 of 113 Old 12-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Oh mamas..I'm with you all. I can eat..and then an hour or so later..I'm hungry again. Though my portions are pretty 'normal.' Mom and I went to a Chinese buffet (oh yes I did) and I couldn't eat hardly anything! I felt like I was going to pop, fill up to my eyeballs. I've limited myself to working half shifts because I can't eat more than once in a full shift and that just doesn't work for me. So..it is what it is I guess. I'm up a BUNCH of weight..but like many others people can't tell I'm pregnant until I turn around.My boss jokes about that..she goes oh you look so normal from behind and then you turn and it's like BAM! Thanks boss (: I'm embarrassed to even think about how much weight I gained since I had lost so much pre-baby. BUT again it is what it is right? But now I have a horrible irrational fear that I'll have a HUGE baby. Just a baby full of brains right? Should be with all the DHA I take and all the studying I've done this pregnancy! 

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#73 of 113 Old 12-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn811 View Post But now I have a horrible irrational fear that I'll have a HUGE baby. Just a baby full of brains right? Should be with all the DHA I take and all the studying I've done this pregnancy! 

Oh gosh, I just had the same realization 10 minutes ago when I woke up from a nap and hauled myself off the couch.  I'm so heavy, and this is going to be a HUGE baby... How in the world am I going to get it out?  For the record, the midwife says it's "normal-sized" but I still think it's going to be gigantic.  I've heard that every woman has that moment of "omg, how is such a big baby going to come out?"... I guess this was my moment.  :)

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#74 of 113 Old 12-08-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

Oh gosh, I just had the same realization 10 minutes ago when I woke up from a nap and hauled myself off the couch.  I'm so heavy, and this is going to be a HUGE baby... How in the world am I going to get it out?  For the record, the midwife says it's "normal-sized" but I still think it's going to be gigantic.  I've heard that every woman has that moment of "omg, how is such a big baby going to come out?"... I guess this was my moment.  :)

It literally dawned on me today..that "Holy MOLY where IS this weight going (ironically when I was walking the dog this morning)!?" And then I feared that it was ALL to the baby. I feel that way when I get out of bed - I love my bed it's a memory foam and it's really comfy..until you become hugely pregnant and it doesn't want to let you go. Note to self - normal spring mattress will be more beneficial next time around. (: 

#75 of 113 Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM

there is no way my baby is getting everything I'm eating because he can't possibly be 5lbs bigger than last week! I know some of this is water weight as my swelling is through the roof but really, I'm starving right now and I'm never hungry after dinner. I want to go downstairs and make a breakfast sandwich so bad! I keep thinking he's going to come soon because I don't have any more room left really. My last 3 babies came out at 7lbs. He's about 6-7lbs now! I'm thinking he's coming on the 21st...just a hunch. Hopefully he's around 7lbs because I don't want to tear anymore than I have in the past! 

#76 of 113 Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 PM

Im up 44lbs now at 35wks and my appetite has increased. I wake up in the middle of the night for a snack, Iv also been thirsty like crazy!!!! I drink plenty of water/fluids during the day but dang.. Iv been craving a lot carbs and MILK!!! Yuuum! Id love to make some blueberry muffins right now but there isnt any blueberries in site!!  I guess ill have to wait til morning to go to the store 2whistle.gif

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

#77 of 113 Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 AM

Applejax - you aren't alone! I drink so much it's INCREDIBLE! At all hours. I wake up soo thirsty and hungry. I drink between 20-32 ounces of water during the night! Oy. Then of course I have to pee ALL the time. 

#78 of 113 Old 12-11-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn811 View Post

Applejax - you aren't alone! I drink so much it's INCREDIBLE! At all hours. I wake up soo thirsty and hungry. I drink between 20-32 ounces of water during the night! Oy. Then of course I have to pee ALL the time. 

Yeah I drink so much that my husband seems to run to bathroom more now as well!!! Hahaha Hes says "I dont know what is wrong with me but anytime I'm around you I have to pee more."

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

#79 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 03:30 AM

Ha Ha Ha Sorry, but now I want to eat some AppleJax  mmmmm sugary cereal.... (drool)

wool.gif   homebirth.jpg   treehugger.gif

#80 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Before pregnancy i didnt like cows milk much, but now i have this renewed ability to drink it straight from the cup and actually enjoy it. Now i add it  to omelettes and pancakes etc, whereas before i avoided it.  Its weird how your digestive system changes when you get knocked up!

Im eager to use it for the added protein, but on the other hand, i read something that says milk can contribute to high birthweight babies, and mine have been over 8 and over 9 lbs. I am sure the pushing phase would be easier if they were a little smaller. (but both my boys were healthy and strong, so that is the main thing)

Anyone know more about the milk and big babies connection?

#81 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Anyone know more about the milk and big babies connection?

Don't quote me, and I have no scientific sources, but logically it just makes perfect sense that milk would cause big babies because a) it's full of growth hormones that are given to cows to produce more milk in less time, and b) even if you buy organic milk, that milk is produced by the COW to grow a CALF... which is a *little* bigger than a human baby.  Formula also makes for bigger babies than breast milk... There are studies that have shown a relationship between cow milk consumption and early puberty, and I bet if we do some online research the link between milk and big babies will show up, too (although the dairy industry has probably done their best to hide the info).

#82 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

That makes plenty of sense. The only problem is, that i bet the average pregnant woman consumes a certain amount of milk, yet has an average  size baby, about 7lbs more or less. (i havent researched this, its just my general impression)

OTOH, i had an 8lb baby and   then a 9lb baby,  and i  really dont  use milk much. My above post is exceptional for me which is why i talked about it. I mean, how much milk consumption would it take to significantly increase the birth weight of your baby? I'd rather not have to avoid dairy altogether.

I wonder how safe it would be to use soy instead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

Don't quote me, and I have no scientific sources, but logically it just makes perfect sense that milk would cause big babies because a) it's full of growth hormones that are given to cows to produce more milk in less time, and b) even if you buy organic milk, that milk is produced by the COW to grow a CALF... which is a *little* bigger than a human baby.  Formula also makes for bigger babies than breast milk... There are studies that have shown a relationship between cow milk consumption and early puberty, and I bet if we do some online research the link between milk and big babies will show up, too (although the dairy industry has probably done their best to hide the info).

#83 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 PM

Regarding soy, my m/w warned me against it (as a milk substitute, although soy products like tofu and miso in moderation are OK) because soy acts as a phytoestrogen and if you chug it every day as you would cow's milk, you can throw your hormonal balance off whack.  I drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk, which is fortified with more calcium and vitamins/minerals than cow's milk, but it doesn't have protein.  You just have to get your protein intake elsewhere...

#84 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 02:16 PM

another vote for unsweetened almond milk!  it's been great for my heartburn, too, for some strange reason.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#85 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 PM

Oatmilk is a great alternative to milk/soy, and it is loaded with vitamins. (Recommended by my naturopath). However, I'm totally on cow's milk this pregnancy. My body wants it, so I am giving it.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#86 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 03:32 PM

I would think that it's very likely that cow milk contributes to a large baby.  As others have said, cow milk is to grow a little tiny calf into a cow.  So hopefully mine will not be as huge as it feels now, as I hardly take any dairy (hemp milk=yummmmm). 

Applejax your name has now given me such a craving for the cereal too!  Thanks a lot, lol!

I'm able to put away such shameful amounts of food right now.  I don't weigh myself often, but I know the weight gain is picking up.  My bump is getting HUGE though!  I am 33.5 weeks and I feel like it looks like I'm at least 35+ weeks.  I had never even considered having a big baby, because I was a small newborn and so was DH... but this bump is making me reconsider that!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#87 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 04:46 PM

I'm able to drink a gallon of nonfat/skim/0% milk in almost a week and that's JUST from consuming it with cereal. I drank milk with my first all the time and she came our 7lbs so I don't know if the "big baby" thing happens to everyone. This last month Iv been packing on the lbs but sense they say this is the time the baby is fattening up I figure thats part of the gain..Tomorrow Im 36 weeks.

#88 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I hope no one minds if I crash this discussion because the milk and size thing interests me. I think there are a few issues at play with dairy. One is that dairy products tend to be very high in sugar (yogurts and ice creams and such) or very high in fats (cheese and ice cream) and even plain milk has a decent amount of sugar in the form of lactose. If someone had diabetes (gestational or otherwise) this could certainly be an issue. Or if their diet is high in sugars and carbs then the milk on top of that is only adding more. Or if the woman's diet is already just one of super high calories then the milk is adding quite a bit on top of that in comparison to water drinking. I don't really trust those bovine growth hormones either.

However, the argument that cow milk growing big calves and therefor making for huge fetuses doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Mostly because the milk is not going directly to the baby (as it does with formula or breastmilk). It is going through the mother's body first and being completely digested and low fat dairy products tend to be associated with weight loss and maintaining a healthier weight. It would seem to me that if milk was going to grow a huge fetus because it is designed to grow a huge calf, then the mother who is consuming the milk with also grow very large based on her milk consumption prior to it beginning to grow a huge baby.

Just my non-scientific thoughts on the subject. I would love to see some studies done on this topic in the future though because it is something that tends to be said. Well, in one breath the birth community will often tell women that milk makes for too big of babies and then often promote the Brewer diet in the next breath, which has quite a bit of milk :) I would be curious to see if it REALLY causes big babies or if there are many other factors that play into it.

writinglove likes this.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#89 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 PM

I don't know...I grow big babies (8.2 and 8.12) and haven't had a glass of milk since I was about five years old.  Nothing against it I just don't like the taste, but will use it in cooking and whatnot.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#90 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Anyone going up and down with water weight lately? I'm gaining and losing about 5lbs these last few days. Getting pretty tired of the cankles look (or the ever-sexy double calf when I take my socks off)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page