Any other moms with HUGE appetites and lots of weight gain? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a very interesting discussion!  However, I also have some questions about the rational behind cow's milk and big babies.  First of all, cow's milk is never actually fed to dairy cows or calves (calves are immediately separated from mom and given artificial colostrum and formula so that all the milk can go to market ~ sad, but true).  Therefore, how is cow's milk intended to grow big calves?  Dairy cows are also put on a 3 month dry period before calving so they are not even being milked at that time.  Secondly, a little calf growing into a big cow is not any different than a little baby growing into a big adult human....just on a different scale.  Newborn calf = 80-100lbs  Adult cow (Holsteins) = 1800-2000 lbs.  Newborn infant 6-10 lbs  Human adult = 100-200 lbs.  Thirdly - growth hormone...while I do not think this is good for human consumption (and we drink organic/no GH dairy), I would think that a pregnant woman would have to drink and incredible amount of milk for this to make a difference in 9 months.  As far as the argument that dairy initiates early puberty in adolescents...it has more to do with overall plane of nutrition.  Obese children are the ones that tend to have early puberty issues.  The early puberty seen in Americans very closely correlates with obesity rates/caloric intake over the past 20+ years.  I don't think dairy is necessarily being consumed that much more.  With any other mammal, especially ruminants (cows, sheep, goats), if fertility is an issue the first thing you do in increase the plane of nutrition (caloric intake).  Some very lean/thin women have fertility issues are are advised to put on some weight.

While I don't have any specific studies to site, I did do a lot of dairy work before switching to only small animal work and we had many discussions regarding growth hormone and pubery while in school.  I do not agree with many of the practices involved in the dairy industry nor do I think that cow's milk is for everyone.  My family has always consumed a lot of milk (I personally LOVE it), however, I have no problem with people who do not drink it and do not believe that cow's milk was ever intended for human consumption.  It's true that humans are the only ones that consume the milk of another species.  We mainly drink organic/hormone free milk b/c there are many more hormones that dairy cows are injected with...not just growth hormone...and I don't want myself or my family exposed to it over the course of our lives.

Again, with no specific studies to back this up, my overall opinion of why some people grow big babies is more along the lines of family genetics and possibly overall diet or other medical issues during pregnancy.  I have consumed a huge amount of milk/dairy, yet I had a 7 1/2 lb baby at 42 weeks.  I was also a late bloomer as far as pubery is concerned...and drank tons of  non-organic whole milk until I was in my 20's ~ however, I was also a very lean kid.  Just my 2 cents.  I'd love to see some studies that actually address this issue and pregnancy.

#92 of 113 Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM

Anyone else starting to worry about macrosomia unrelated to cow milk (I'm lactose intolerant)?  I'm 36 weeks and already +33 lbs, and still gaining.  Last baby, I gained 40 lbs, and she was 9lbs 6oz.  I gained up through 42 weeks, which my midwife says is unusual.   I'm not convinced that my weight gain caused her high birth weight, considering my husband was born at 11 lbs.

Up until this point, I haven't really cared about the weight gain because previously, I lost 20lbs the day after giving birth and the rest of the weight by 6 weeks postpartum.   But I don't want to have to push out another giant baby if I can help it.

#93 of 113 Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Again, with no specific studies to back this up, my overall opinion of why some people grow big babies is more along the lines of family genetics and possibly overall diet or other medical issues during pregnancy.  I have consumed a huge amount of milk/dairy, yet I had a 7 1/2 lb baby at 42 weeks.  I was also a late bloomer as far as pubery is concerned...and drank tons of  non-organic whole milk until I was in my 20's ~ however, I was also a very lean kid.  Just my 2 cents.  I'd love to see some studies that actually address this issue and pregnancy.

TThats very interesting. You make me remember that growing up, i was a big milk drinker, and also had late puberty (15).

AAs an adult, i find milk a bit distasteful, and dont drink much of it when not pregnant. I avoid it in my coffee too. But strangely, once pregnant, i have this renewed ability to

didigest and appreciate it. However, i would probably go through much less than half a gallon in a week. 

#94 of 113 Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Thats very interesting. You make me remember that growing up, i was a big milk drinker, and also had late puberty (15).

As an adult, i find milk a bit distasteful, and dont drink much of it when not pregnant. I avoid it in my coffee too. But strangely, once pregnant, i have this renewed ability to digest and appreciate it. However, i would probably go through much less than half a gallon in a week. 

#95 of 113 Old 12-13-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maptome View Post

Anyone else starting to worry about macrosomia unrelated to cow milk (I'm lactose intolerant)?  I'm 36 weeks and already +33 lbs, and still gaining.  Last baby, I gained 40 lbs, and she was 9lbs 6oz.  I gained up through 42 weeks, which my midwife says is unusual.   I'm not convinced that my weight gain caused her high birth weight, considering my husband was born at 11 lbs.

Up until this point, I haven't really cared about the weight gain because previously, I lost 20lbs the day after giving birth and the rest of the weight by 6 weeks postpartum.   But I don't want to have to push out another giant baby if I can help it.

I'm worried about it because the last baby was 9 pounds (which shocked everyone, especially tiny 5'1 small boned me). The thing is...I can't just stop eating or start "dieting". I'm too damned hungry. Already thinking this will be another big baby

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#96 of 113 Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting what people are saying about the dairy correlation...I'll ask my midwife about it next appointment. I would say that I consume more dairy than any other food group, which is now making me wonder if that's a reason my babies are big. Never even heard of this befrore

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#97 of 113 Old 12-13-2011, 04:01 PM

I'm not sure if it's true, but I've heard that the problem isn't dairy, so much as calcium. Makes sense to me, my biggest baby was the one I practically lived on Tums for.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#98 of 113 Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM

My midwife told me that if I have milk to make sure it's whole milk.  I think skim milk and 2% can mess with your blood sugar more than whole milk does - the fats in the milk keep things from spiking - It would makes sense that the increased blood sugars could lead to bigger babies, I still eat 1% cottage cheese though - it seems like a great protein source without tons of calories.  I probably should be having whole cottage cheese too, just eating it less often!  OH WELL!

I enjoy milk with cereal, (organic hormone free) but I'm personally not craving giant glasses or anything.  

wool.gif   homebirth.jpg   treehugger.gif

#99 of 113 Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 AM

I'm feeling awful about myself. Went for my 37 week appointment, I gained 10 pounds in two weeks! WTH!? I guess it can kind of make sense..since my family/I are poor so I don't get to eat all the good stuff. I eat a lot of processed carbs - also because I am..well was..on the go a lot with school and work. I feel awful..my weight gain overall is astronomical and I'm continuing to gain! How is this happening? Now I fear having a huge child. A big baby will lead to an obese child/adult. Poo. Just poo. 

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#100 of 113 Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn811 View Post

. A big baby will lead to an obese child/adult. Poo. Just poo. 

That's not true.  My kids have both been 100%/100% since birth.  You know what a 100/100 five year old looks like?  Long and lean.  Same with my son.  You would never look at either of my kids and see an ounce of fat.  Big babies aren't a bad thing.  And you gaining weight doesn't put them at a disadvantage for life.  I promise.

Devaskyla likes this.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#101 of 113 Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 AM

Kaitlyn sorry to hear you are feeling down about weight gain! My weight has gone up in large chunks rather than a steady gain and it has always been shocking (I had the 10lbs in two weeks thing between 33-35 weeks...) I know that for every little bit the baby gains, we mamas gain quite a bit extra in 'support' (fluids especially) - plus by this time water retention for me just seems to be a given... I go up and down a few pounds between one day and the next which I'm guessing must be water weight.

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#102 of 113 Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 AM

The big baby/obesity thing may be true for some, and i would suppose it is true depending on why the baby is large, but it is not a given by any means.

I can tell you one thing though, i am not in the least bit worried about obesity. Both my kids were big babies (reason not yet established, milk? genetics? calcium?) and they are far from obese. I dont have a problem with obesity either and nor does anyone in my family.

Im just selfishly worried about the pushing phase-im sure it would be a tad easier and shorter with a slightly smaller baby :-)

On the skim milk connection-skim causing big babies rather than full cream- sounds plausible, but i wish i knew for sure. I was eating full cream dairy in the first trimester due to my craving for fats. But have since switched to skim because i no longer crave it, and dont want to unnecessarily load on the fats...

I love yoghurt and cottage cheese too.  I wonder  if they have a different effect than  straight milk?  Isnt much of the lactose used up by the bacteria that cultures it?

#103 of 113 Old 12-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Kaitlyn-- I had my first DD at 19yo and I had gained 75lbs (went from 125lbs and 5ft7in to 200lbs). She was 7lbs 4 oz at birth and is one skinny tween today! My biggest baby (not at birth but over the first year--she was 22lbs at 6 mos) was from a pregnancy with my lowest weight gain. So, it can't always be true! Family genetics, not pregnancy weight gain, play the biggest influence in baby's size/body type! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#104 of 113 Old 12-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Kaitlyn - My mom gained 70 lbs. with each of us, and we were both huge babies (9 and 10 lbs. respectively).  Today we're both fit, thin, and eat whatever we want.  Education goes a long way towards preventing obesity, so focus on giving that to your child along with a healthy diet.  You don't have to be rich to eat healthy food, you just have to make the effort to cook from scratch.  Seasonal fruits and veggies, plus canned beans, brown rice, etc. are not expensive and provide a large variety of nutrients and vitamins.  Yes, they take a little longer to make than mac & cheese, but you won't end up sick and undernourished at the doctor's office...  The choices we make today determine the health we'll have tomorrow.  :)

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#105 of 113 Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 PM

I really don't know what I would do without you ladies. Seriously. lol. You all have been such tremendous support systems. I worded my original post wrong..my fear is that having a big baby will lead to an obese child but I worded it as a statement..*sigh* I blame the panic. But in any case, my mind floods with worries. I know every pregnancy is different but I have a mother who gained a mere 25 lbs during both her pregnancies. I really couldn't tell you where the weight is going? I look the same..I'm partial to thinking some of it is water retention. 

We try to buy healthy..since clementines are in season and on sale we've been buying them..we do cook from scratch since it definitely is cheaper. But in all seriousness, each time we go to the grocery store prices have gone up. I'm really worried financially. I know that's a concern for basically all of us. 

Then, with a big baby I fear tearing..that is a huge huge fear of mine. I know I shouldn't worry - it hasn't happened (yet). If I tear..they stitch me back up I just worry. 

Dang anxiety. I'm really hoping next year brings me a better job and some of the financial worry can be lifted. 

Back on topic..holy weight gain batman! I hate working out..but I really can't wait to get back to working out!

#106 of 113 Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 PM

Yep, they'll stitch you right up and you'll be good as new! You'll hardly feel it...you'll be staring at your baby high on hormones! 

Remember, in the long run, you'll pay more for health care than you would for healthy food upfront so whenever and wherever you can, buy healthy, whole foods. Don't forget to visit farmers markets and/or food co-ops where you'll pay a lot less! Are you eligible for WIC? You can get milk, cheese, peanut butter etc with that. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#107 of 113 Old 12-15-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Then, with a big baby I fear tearing..that is a huge huge fear of mine. I know I shouldn't worry - it hasn't happened (yet). If I tear..they stitch me back up I just worry. 

Incredibly valid fear.  I will say that I have a friend that delivered two 12 pound babies (yes, you read that right...and, no, she didn't have GD) and not one stitch was needed.  It can happen. :)

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#108 of 113 Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Best way to avoid tearing is to give birth upright with no epidural, push at your own pace &, despite how hard it is, when you feel the ring of fire, breathe & wait to give your body time to stretch rather than tear.

Honestly, "big babies" aren't that big a deal...fat squishes. Big heads/shoulders are the problem & that's down to genetics. And even big heads can usually mold really well. Ds1 had a huge head (we had to buy shirts at least 1 size big to fit over it) but he also had such huge "soft spots" that the OB got a ped to check him out.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#109 of 113 Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 AM

Btw, i didnt tear with my 9lb 4 baby. I was on all fours in the shower (homebirth) With ds1, 8lbs12, i was given a very small episiotomy (hospital birth) which healed quickly.

#110 of 113 Old 12-16-2011, 03:54 PM

Many thanks for the reassurance (: I'm planning a water birth and I've read that can help prevent tearing as well since the water 'softens' things up a bit..is that true for anyone?

#111 of 113 Old 12-16-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

The big baby/obesity thing may be true for some, and i would suppose it is true depending on why the baby is large, but it is not a given by any means.

I can tell you one thing though, i am not in the least bit worried about obesity. Both my kids were big babies (reason not yet established, milk? genetics? calcium?) and they are far from obese. I dont have a problem with obesity either and nor does anyone in my family.

Im just selfishly worried about the pushing phase-im sure it would be a tad easier and shorter with a slightly smaller baby :-)

On the skim milk connection-skim causing big babies rather than full cream- sounds plausible, but i wish i knew for sure. I was eating full cream dairy in the first trimester due to my craving for fats. But have since switched to skim because i no longer crave it, and dont want to unnecessarily load on the fats...

I love yoghurt and cottage cheese too.  I wonder  if they have a different effect than  straight milk?  Isnt much of the lactose used up by the bacteria that cultures it?

Yeah, I've never heard of birth weight being an indicator for childhood obesity. The only factor in infanthood I've read being linked to childhood obesity is formula

#112 of 113 Old 12-16-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Btw, i didnt tear with my 9lb 4 baby. I was on all fours in the shower (homebirth) With ds1, 8lbs12, i was given a very small episiotomy (hospital birth) which healed quickly.

Same here! Everyone thought for sure I'd tear with a 9 pounder. It was a waterbirth, and if you were in the shower, I bet the hot water helps the elasticity in some way

#113 of 113 Old 12-16-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Many thanks for the reassurance (: I'm planning a water birth and I've read that can help prevent tearing as well since the water 'softens' things up a bit..is that true for anyone?

Yep absolutely true. Didn't even tear a little bit with mine. First was a land birth and I tore a little bit. I think it's also important to understand weight vs head size. Weight is not neccessarily a factor. But a giant head and shoulder span definitely is.

Although now I'm just repeating myself from the post above- sorry for keeping my thread at the top everyone lol.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page