Any other moms with HUGE appetites and lots of weight gain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 113 Old 11-04-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 30 weeks...and found out today I've already gained 40 pounds. I couldn't believe it! No gestational diabetes, no preclampsia, no high blood pressure- totally healthy but just lots of weight gain. I exercise, too. My midwife said that it's normal and good for underweight girls to gain more than the average "30". I started out at about 95 pounds so I guess that theory makes sense...And what can I say, this baby makes me eat...a lot! Keeping it healthy food mostly, but man am I hungry!

To be honest though, I hate it! Trying to remind myself that I'll lose 20 pounds the day I give birth. That's what happened with my last 2, anyway.

Anyone else here in this boat? Large appetites and gaining a bunch to show for it?

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#2 of 113 Old 11-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I'm up 40 lbs to 185 lbs at 30 weeks (from 145 pre-pregnancy, I measure 5'10" so I was pretty trim), and although the first few times I got on the scale I would feel awful, now I'm welcoming it.  Like you, no health issues at all, just a baby-making machine!  I exercise daily and I think I look pretty decent for a pregnant person.  My midwife is very supportive and my husband has stopped freaking out and now only points out that I weigh more than he does at this point.  Who would've thunk it?  Oh, yeah, and I'm always starving, btw. 

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#3 of 113 Old 11-04-2011, 08:51 PM

I got on the scale this morning and Iv gained 30 lbs so far. I'm 30 weeks and I expect to gain another 9-10lbs by birth. Earlier in the pregnancy I was always hungry and gained 10 lbs with in 3 weeks!!! Iv slowed down but it seems I'm gaining a pound a week. 

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

#4 of 113 Old 11-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Yep! I've gained 35lbs at 31 weeks and it shows. I have some major water retention in my legs though. I bet like times before I'll lose 25 lbs the day I give birth!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#5 of 113 Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Me too! I'm not even underweight normally- I'm very average.  I gained a lot with DD too.  My thin mom always did as well.  Some people are just hungry gainers when they're pregnant.  All my tests are great.  If it helps you all, I lost the weight with DD in like the first three months so I really wouldn't worry about it if you're normally thin or average.

I just finished a bowl of baked oatmeal and it's 9:30.  :)

Healthcare is a human right!
#6 of 113 Old 11-06-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Nice to know I'm not alone here! Like the PP said, some of us are just hungry gainers I guess. I always envy women that only gain 15 pounds, but everyone's body needs are so different. In the end, too, all the gain is worth it!

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#7 of 113 Old 11-06-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

I just finished a bowl of baked oatmeal and it's 9:30.  :)

Yum! I'm LOVING oatmeal most mornings around here. Oregon has been freezing lately. It's so satisfying isn't it? Haven't tried making baked oatmeal though...sounds delicious eat.gif

#8 of 113 Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post

Yum! I'm LOVING oatmeal most mornings around here. Oregon has been freezing lately. It's so satisfying isn't it? Haven't tried making baked oatmeal though...sounds delicious eat.gif

.... I just made Raisin Pecan Oatmeal cookies tonight. SOOOO yummy! foodnetwork is my friend winky.gif

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

#9 of 113 Old 11-17-2011, 10:53 AM

I guess my 70 lbs weight gain takes the cake... literally. I'm barely 30 weeks and averaging a weight gain of 3 lbs a week. irked.gif On Monday I was 200 lbs. Yesterday I asked the nurse not to say my weight aloud because I didn't want to hear it. I see the doc 3x a week and I turn my back to the scale when I step on. 

#10 of 113 Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette2 View Post

I guess my 70 lbs weight gain takes the cake... literally. I'm barely 30 weeks and averaging a weight gain of 3 lbs a week. irked.gif On Monday I was 200 lbs. Yesterday I asked the nurse not to say my weight aloud because I didn't want to hear it. I see the doc 3x a week and I turn my back to the scale when I step on. 

OK, but you're carrying twins!  My mom gained 60 lbs. carrying just one baby... It can all come off so don't fret.

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#11 of 113 Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 AM

I gained 55 lbs with my older son.  (Just one baby.)  Almost all of it was in the third tri, for no clear reason.  About 25 lbs dropped off in the first few days after birth, and the rest went away over the course of 9 months or so.

This time I'd gained about 30 at 30 weeks, which I want to say is about where I was at in my last pregnancy too.  I eat healthily and actually *don't* have a crazy appetite this time around, and I exercise for at least an hour every weekday, so what gives?  It makes me kinda cranky because I feel like my body is just hellbent on gaining like this and there's nothing I can do about it and then I read snarky people on the internet (*not* on MDC!) saying things like there's no reason anyone who's not gorging themselves on peanut butter ripple would ever gain more than the perfect 25 lbs and it provokes my pregnant lady raaaaaaaage.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#12 of 113 Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Sophia & Grace - 3/13/11  love.gif

Twins #2 coming - 2/3/12 heartbeat.gif  heartbeat.gif

Holy cow.  Am I reading this correctly?  You're going to have FOUR kids under ONE year for a good month?  Wow.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#13 of 113 Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM

This thread makes me appreciate that my midwives don't make me do a weigh in.  :)

Healthcare is a human right!
#14 of 113 Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

30 weeks here too, and i have gained 30 lbs since my pre pregnancy weight which was 145. Now i am at 175.

I was the same in previous pregnancies. I dont worry about it, but i wish other people would stop worrying about it. The idea that you should only gain 30lbs in a pregnancy just seems ridiculous. Am i supposed to go on a diet or something? I eat well, and exercise more than most people who arent pregnant. 

#15 of 113 Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM

30 weeks and 30 lbs here, too.  I gained 33 lbs with my first pregnancy so I'm definitely on track to gain more.  I was 10 lbs lighter getting pregnant this time, but I suspect by final weight will be very similar to the first pregnancy.  That's a little depressing, but I know it can all come off.  I honestly eat what my body feels like eating, and although I was in excellent physical shape when I got pregnant, I probably don't exercise as much as I should now.  I should work on that!

#16 of 113 Old 11-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Well, as of today I am officially heavier than my husband! Sheepish.gif  47 lbs. of baby-making machine!!

#17 of 113 Old 11-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Weighed in on Tuesday at my 32 weeks mark...gained 5 more lbs, So tally is 35lbs now.. Im gaining as I though I would. I am heavier then my husband too, like 20lbs ago! lol

#18 of 113 Old 11-19-2011, 04:44 PM

My ***hole of an ex was constantly on me about eating - for the short amount of time I was with him when I was pregnant. I was HUNGRY! 

My mother - tells me it's 'so strange' that I'm hungry all the time. I wake up hungry in the middle of the night - asked the midwife - she said it's normal. 

I used to fret about all the weight gain in the beginning (when I had a jerk in my life) but now..it's whatever. I'm too busy to fret about weight gain. If I'm happy - baby is happy. (: So no, you're definitely not alone. Food is my best friend. (: 

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#19 of 113 Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn811 View Post

My ***hole of an ex was constantly on me about eating - for the short amount of time I was with him when I was pregnant. I was HUNGRY! 

My mother - tells me it's 'so strange' that I'm hungry all the time. I wake up hungry in the middle of the night - asked the midwife - she said it's normal. 

I used to fret about all the weight gain in the beginning (when I had a jerk in my life) but now..it's whatever. I'm too busy to fret about weight gain. If I'm happy - baby is happy. (: So no, you're definitely not alone. Food is my best friend. (: 

It's not at all strange to be hungry in the middle of the night, it's understandable!  As long as you're eating healthy stuff that's good for you and the baby, gaining weight is a perfectly normal part of pregnancy... So chow down!  :)

#20 of 113 Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

This thread makes me appreciate that my midwives don't make me do a weigh in.  :)

Same here. I told my midwife months ago that I refuse to be weighed. I was expecting a fight but she just said "Ok, I'll mark it on your chart so the nurses know not to weigh you!"

The only reason I found out my weight recently was from a completely unrelated doctor who insisted eyesroll.gif

#21 of 113 Old 11-19-2011, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

How is everyone here dealing with holiday food/treats? Being an unofficial family cook, I find this to be the hardest time of year during pregnancy. I'll make like 3 batches of cookies a week along with other desserts and on Halloween I really couldn't resist my 5 year old's candy lol.gif I don't even want to think about Thankgiving right now and all the weight I'm going to gain. It's SO HARD to limit yourself sometimes!!!

#22 of 113 Old 11-20-2011, 05:48 AM

I'm feeling less hungry these days. I ate and ate and ate through the first and second trimester and now I'm losing weight. So strange because I'm craving really healthy foods and healthy portions now and I've never been one to do that, pregnant or not. I can't seem to fit tons of food in my stomach anymore and it gets so uncomfortable that my body has switched gears. Good thing because I might have gained 50lbs at the rate I was going! 

#23 of 113 Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 AM

I actually don't crave sugar that much, ever since chocolate made me want to puke during the first tri.  I limit myself to one pumpkin latte a week (decaf soy) and even though I have a few treats for my husband in the cupboard (ok, that sounds like he's a dog... I mean cookies and stuff), I don't really feel a strong desire to eat them.  My big addiction: butter.  Trader Joe's has this amazing irish butter that melts oh so beautifully, and I simply must have some on my morning toast and on my pancakes.  :)

I'm actually hungrier this third trimester than I was the last one, but of course I managed to gain a ton during the 1st and 2nd tri... Go figure.  Oh well, I've always had an easy time losing weight and I'm actually looking forward to going back to the gym, if only because that's the only time my husband will agree to take care of the baby (he's really keen on me losing the weight!).

#24 of 113 Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 AM

Yes!  huge huge huge appetite.  I don't realize how much I'm eating until I'm with friends and not eating, and then starving when I leave them.  33 weeks and up 30 pounds.  I don't think it's HUGE weight gain, but it probably higher than it's "supposed to be."

#25 of 113 Old 11-20-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post
 even though I have a few treats for my husband in the cupboard (ok, that sounds like he's a dog... I mean cookies and stuff),

spitdrink.gif

#26 of 113 Old 11-20-2011, 11:18 AM

i've been eating waaaay more than my share of fruit lately.  i've been craving something sweet, but i WILL.NOT.GIVE.IN.AND.MAKE.A.CHOCOLATE.CAKE.... (repeat this phrase liberally).  i think i've actually eaten 8 apples in the last 24 hours.  and a few pears.  and bananas.

yeah, i love fruit.  i'm trying to keep it balanced with greens/vegetables, but i'm definitely leaning towards the sweet these days.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#27 of 113 Old 11-21-2011, 11:22 AM

Full fat, cream on top, Brown Cow plain yogurt! Yuuuummmmm!!!

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#28 of 113 Old 11-21-2011, 04:53 PM

@HardCoreMom I've got an apple problem too ;) I gained 6lbs this past week, so up 30-35lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight... trying not to think too much of it as I'm measuring bang-on for dates. I also eat a TON of cheese, but that's not really anything new!

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#29 of 113 Old 11-21-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post

@HardCoreMom I've got an apple problem too ;)

Have you guys tried Honeycrisps?  They are the Rolls Royce of apples, IMO.  Mmmmmmmm...

writinglove likes this.

#30 of 113 Old 11-21-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

Have you guys tried Honeycrisps?  They are the Rolls Royce of apples, IMO.  Mmmmmmmm...

i wish!  we don't have a very big selection of organic apples around here.  total bummer.  i've been downing all the fujis and granny smiths i can eat, though!  with sunflower butter, just cause i love me some calories.... ;)

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page