Need Help with Registry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-05-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am kind of freaking out about all the baby stuff that I supposedly "need".  I lean towards minimalist, and the thought of having eleventy billion baby things in my house freaks me out.  Here are some of my concerns:

-I registered for a Pack N Play and a Rock N Play.  My friend said the Rock N Play was awesome for her baby to sleep in.  Is it that amazing that I need both the Rock N Play AND Pack N Play? The PnP we got has a newborn sleeper in it and both have been purchased (but I could take the RnP back)

-I didn't want a baby bathtub, just the bathing sponge.  Someone bought the bathtub my hubby wanted already; should we keep it, or is just the sponge good?

-Do I need a full sized high chair? We originally registered for one of the ones that just sits on the chair and then changed our minds. 

I'd appreciate any advice.  As you can tell, this is our first baby, and I don't want to be inundated with crap, but I also don't want to regret not getting things we need either. 

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-05-2011, 03:51 PM

A PNP is a personal decision.  Personally, I like having one because I have a dog and like the idea of having some place to set the babe that isn't covered in dog hair.  I have no idea what a RNP is, though.  If you want minimalist, you likely don't need one.

I have used a baby bathtub ONCE and found it a huge pain in the butt.  For me, I find it easier to just make a snuggly place on the counter with towels and bathe like that...until the kid can sit in the sink...and then take showers with me.  Again, you don't *need* this stuff, but if you want it that's great.

I like having a high chair for my kids, but only use it from about 6 mos - 1.5 yrs...and then we jump to a booster.  You absolutely don't need one for your registry because it's going to sit around for a long, long time before you can use it.  Plus, you might change your mind on what you would like once you meet your kid.

People will buy stuff for you after the baby is born and all it takes is a "Grandma/Aunt/Favorite Nanny, have you seen the new X?  It looks so cool!" before one shows up at your door.

Believe me, you don't *need* much, but BRU would never let you believe that!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#3 of 4 Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 PM

I think all those items are personal choices.  None are necessary, but some can be useful.  We used a PnP with the bassinet attachment on top as our co-sleeper right up beside our bed when our son was a newborn.  When he got a little bigger he slept in the bed with us.  Now we use it when we travel as his "crib" or when we have friends visiting with babies/toddlers.  I've never heard of a RockNPlay so I have no advice for you there.

We used the bathtub every day for almost 18 months.  It had a sling for the newborn stage, then he sat in it until he was well over a year old.  We just placed it inside the big tub but only needed to use a tiny amount of water.  We used to live where there was chronic drought and major water restrictions, so it was nice not to have to fill up the whole tub.  He HATED to be in the shower and still does.  I guess we could have put him in the sink for baths, but that would mean I'd have to do dishes every night....smile.gif

We never had a full sized high-chair.  They take up so much room.  We use a $20 booster (fisher price, I think) that we can also travel with and take to restaurants.  He didn't eat solid food until he was about 10 months old but it still worked when he was about 6 months old.  He just sat on our laps before that.  We only use it for eating - although I know some people put babies/toddlers in a high chair to play in while they cook, etc.

Friends, stores, etc will make you *think* you need tons of gear.  Honestly, you need next to nothing, but some things can be really helpful.  We got a fair amount of gear and really used almost all of it A LOT.  The only thing we could have waited a couple years to get was the crib (which of course was all set up and actually moved to two new houses before it was actually used)!

#4 of 4 Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorabelle View Post

I am kind of freaking out about all the baby stuff that I supposedly "need".  I lean towards minimalist, and the thought of having eleventy billion baby things in my house freaks me out.  Here are some of my concerns:

-I registered for a Pack N Play and a Rock N Play.  My friend said the Rock N Play was awesome for her baby to sleep in.  Is it that amazing that I need both the Rock N Play AND Pack N Play? The PnP we got has a newborn sleeper in it and both have been purchased (but I could take the RnP back)

-I didn't want a baby bathtub, just the bathing sponge.  Someone bought the bathtub my hubby wanted already; should we keep it, or is just the sponge good?

-Do I need a full sized high chair? We originally registered for one of the ones that just sits on the chair and then changed our minds. 

I'd appreciate any advice.  As you can tell, this is our first baby, and I don't want to be inundated with crap, but I also don't want to regret not getting things we need either. 

1) no you do not need a rock n play. I honestly dont get all the hype over them. If you want one that is one thing but no its not a NEED. I have looked at them at the store and dont really like the construction of them.

2) personal choice on the bath tub. I like having the baby bath but its not for everyone.

3) We have used a space saver high chair for the past 2 kids. I like it better then the full size. I dont need to try and find a spot for another large item in my already crowded house!

There are many things that you do not truly NEED. Some are nice to have. Others are just a waste of money :)

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page