Only wool? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2011, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i wanna see!  i bet they're really funky! smile.gif

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by writinglove View Post

I should take photos of the wool soakers my mom made me from ugly 70s era wool sweaters. I know they will work great, but, uh, they are particularly aesthetically pleasing. My baby will look like a hipster in his ironic 70s sweater soakers. twins.gif

Hey, who knows, your baby might start a new trend!  I'd love to see them, now I'm curious!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

Hee hee hee, glad to hear I'm not the only one sewing bands inside out.  :) 

As for the thread, I normally use polyester, so it didn't throw me.  I like that it's more resistant than cotton.  I'm using a 90/14 ballpoint needle, if that's any help.  Seems to be working fine.

Oh, another tip (uses more thread but...): I sew the two layers of the leg and waist bands closed before sewing each to the main part of the underwear (instead of trying to sew three layers together).  It has made things soooo much easier!  Does that make sense?

Oh, thanks!  Here's a little more excitement to my adventures in wool covers.....I went to Goodwill with my 2 yr old son today to look for more wool sweaters and while we were there the store was robbed at gun point!!  Thankfully, no one was hurt and the guy ran off.  All I saw was the guy running away.  We all got locked in the store and had to wait for the police so we could show our IDs and give statements/phone numbers, etc.  I had found 2 huge sweaters but no one was allowed to check out so I had to put them back.  My son was quite entertained by all the police cars, helicopters, and police dogs outside the store.  I kind of stayed away from the drama so he wouldn't get scared and I don't think he even has a clue that anything happened.  I'm actually pretty unphased by the whole thing, but it was still a bit more than I bargained for this morning!!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Holy cow, that was quite the adventure!!  Who would rob a Goodwill, though??  Bizarre...  Sorry you couldn't get your hands on those two sweaters, it's so much fun when you find XXL wool sweaters!!  I showed my covers to a friend with a 2 month old, and she begged me to give her sewing lessons next week!  Who would've thunk!! 

Well, I hope you can find some time to go back and grab those sweaters... Oh, and post some pics, I would love to see your handiwork!  Happy sewing!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM

wow, that's gotta get your heart racing!  i'm glad you guys were ok!

i agree- why rob the goodwill?

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 11-14-2011, 06:34 PM

I've knitted these covers for LO. A couple girly just in case :) Sorry for the pic overload innocent.gif

My first knitted project (lots of errors but baby won't care :lol ) NB Sized

IMG_8608.jpg

More NB sizes

IMG_9278.jpg

IMG_8643.jpg

Smalls

IMG_8809.jpg

IMG_9573.jpg

IMG_8941.jpg

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 11-14-2011, 09:00 PM

Beautiful MommytoanAngel!  Can I ask what yarn and colorways you used on the 1st, 2nd and 5th pictures?

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 PM

Might as well add the 3rd and 4th for me, please?  lol

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mommy2anangel - Those are amazing!!  So beautiful... I can't believe they were your first knitting projects, they seem perfect!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

Mommy2anangel - Those are amazing!!  So beautiful... I can't believe they were your first knitting projects, they seem perfect!

Thank you!!! love.gif I frogged and re knitted that first one too many times! Lol.

Sarah and Conchobar, the colorways are

1. Unknown colorway that I bought from a mama on hyenacart.com

2. Mosaic Moon chocolate lollipop

3. The colorway is sweethearts or something like that, I can't remember who the dyer was redface.gif

4. Body is gaia bulky yarn and the trim is dashing dachs horsie 

5. Lots of Scraps from Family roots 

6. Mosaic Moon girly owl 

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

User Tag List