Only wool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 11-06-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hey CD mamas, have any of you used only (or mainly) wool covers over prefolds (as opposed to PUL), and what are your thoughts?  I've been reading great things about wool, and I've already made eight wool covers in different sizes from 100% wool sweaters (so fun!), so I was wondering if I could swing the "just wool" thing or if PUL is still the way to go for daytime (I'm definitely doing wool for night).  I know there's a whole CD forum, but I was hoping you guys might have an opinion.  Thanks!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#2 of 40 Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can totally go wool full time.  Newborn is a great time to start b/c you can see how you like it when they are still so small and they knit up quick.  I personally love wool, mostly b/c I love to knit and it's all natural instead of more plastic on them.  I won't lie though, it is more work.  Not a ton, but hey I just thought I should mention it.  I only use fitted with wool, b/c prefolds do not contain the poo.  If poo gets on your wool you have to handwash it out, not so fun.  With PUL you just toss it in the diaper pail with the poo'd prefold.  You have to lanolize every 2 weeks to avoid leakage.  It still wins for me though b/c it's super cute and it's a natural breathable fiber.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#3 of 40 Old 11-07-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, good tip on the fitteds vs. pre-folds!  Never would've thought of that... Thanks!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#4 of 40 Old 11-07-2011, 07:52 AM

If you're using old wool sweaters are they already felted?  Because then they're much easier to clean - just toss them in the washing machine.  They won't have as much stretch, but they'll be bullet-proof.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#5 of 40 Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 AM

I just got some feedback from a Mama I made some wool covers for, and she said that that wool is her favorite option. She uses prefolds,with a newborn prefold doubled up and a fleece liner. She also has fitteds and covers, that she says are good for when her kids or others are doing the diapering. Her problem with PUL covers or any plastic cover is that over time they eventually start to hold smells, which means they could have lingering bacteria in them.

The biggest inconvenience is washing and drying the wool covers, but since you only have to wash every few weeks, or when poop leaks onto them it might not be so bad.

This is a question I've been looking for answers on as well, because I can make wool covers, and it would make cloth diapering almost free for me if it's a feasible option.

#6 of 40 Old 11-07-2011, 12:55 PM

I use wool as a cover about 85% of the time. With flats and prefolds during the day and a fitted during the night. All of my woolens are either hand-knit and felted, or made from old sweaters and felted, so I can throw them in the wash. They aren't the stretchiest, but my sweater-covers have elastic waistbands. I wash them every two-three weeks and lanolize in the sink afterward. Never had troubles with leaking,wicking, stains, stink, or rash.

#7 of 40 Old 11-07-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

If you're using old wool sweaters are they already felted?  Because then they're much easier to clean - just toss them in the washing machine.  They won't have as much stretch, but they'll be bullet-proof.

Yes, I've felted them before making them.  Glad to know they're safe to wash over and over! 

Thanks everyone, you've just made my life easier (and saved me a ton of money)!  :)

#8 of 40 Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post

I only use fitted with wool, b/c prefolds do not contain the poo.  

Erm... how "not contained" are we talking here? I was planning on some wool & some PUL, both with prefolds - very new to CD, is this a common problem w/prefolds?

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 40 Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post

Erm... how "not contained" are we talking here? I was planning on some wool & some PUL, both with prefolds - very new to CD, is this a common problem w/prefolds?

Exclusively breastfed babies can have some pretty explosive diapers (think down the leg and up the back).  The prefold may catch it, but don't count on it ;).  Elastic is your friend LOL.  There are great online tutorials on how to convert prefolds into fitteds with minimal sewing and some elastic.  Also greenmountaindiapers.com has Workhorse fitteds that are made out of prefolds and aren't that expensive.  

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#10 of 40 Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 PM

I wish we had a Canadian GMD! They ONLY ship their Cloth-eez prefolds to Canada :P

If anyone's curious I looked up coverting prefolds to fitteds and it looks pretty easy http://cloth-crazy.blogspot.com/2009/04/prefold-to-fitted.html (there's a few other links but this one has LOTS of photos... this one was good too: http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold_to_fitted.htm)

I'm going to try knitting some wool covers while I wait for baby and see how far I get, have already lined up some patterns on ravely.com!

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#11 of 40 Old 11-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post

I wish we had a Canadian GMD! They ONLY ship their Cloth-eez prefolds to Canada :P

If anyone's curious I looked up coverting prefolds to fitteds and it looks pretty easy http://cloth-crazy.blogspot.com/2009/04/prefold-to-fitted.html (there's a few other links but this one has LOTS of photos... this one was good too: http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold_to_fitted.htm)

I'm going to try knitting some wool covers while I wait for baby and see how far I get, have already lined up some patterns on ravely.com!

The WHW wrap was really fast and easy.  It has great reviews for use too.

#12 of 40 Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Yup, that's my plan now: turn GMD prefolds into fitteds and use them with pull-up wool covers made from felted wool sweaters.  Thank goodness for the Internet, so many tutorials!!  I spent at least an hour yesterday researching... I'm excited about how much money I'm going to save, and the wool covers I'm making are totally adorable!!  :)

#13 of 40 Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 AM

i LOVE wool, and it's all that i use.  my MIL is a knitting fanatic, and always makes some really beautiful covers/longies/etc (we're so lucky, i know).  once my kids get older and sleep for longer stretches, i pull out the fleece pockets, but we don't do PUL, either.  fitteds and prefolds under wool- love it.

i'm so excited to get to change diapers again!  i must be crazy.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#14 of 40 Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

It's actually been super easy making wool covers, even for a sewing newbie like me!  Each pure wool sweater at Goodwill costs $5, and I can get about 3 covers out of each sweater (or 2 covers and one pair of longies from the sleeves).  Even with factoring in the hot water wash, the machine drying, the thread and the time involved, each cover is costing me about 10 times less than they cost online!  I was so sad when I first saw prices on wool and thought I'd never be able to afford any wool items for my baby... Now I have covers, longies, and even a cashmere sleeper!!  :)  I have a stack of multi-colored sweaters I just bought yesterday, so it's back to the sewing machine!!

covers.jpg

#15 of 40 Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Montesorrimama- those are awesome! I guess I need to try to sew some! I never knew you could machine wash them (once felted). So, once the wool is washed once (I'm guessing in hot water) it doesn't shrink any more and can then be washed over and over (even in hot water!)? DH once washed a wool cover, and I saved it since I thought I might could sqeeze a newborn into it.. That means I can now wash it again in the machine? Exciting news!

I'm excited, too, to have a newborn to diaper! My friend gave up on CDing and just sent me a ton of prefolds (they don't even look like they were prepped)! It was like Christmas morning opening up the box! She also sent all of her wipes, wetbags and covers! Such a wonderful present, and I didn't need anything since I have everything from DS1 still!

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#16 of 40 Old 11-08-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlaj11 View Post

Montesorrimama- those are awesome! I guess I need to try to sew some! I never knew you could machine wash them (once felted). So, once the wool is washed once (I'm guessing in hot water) it doesn't shrink any more and can then be washed over and over (even in hot water!)? DH once washed a wool cover, and I saved it since I thought I might could sqeeze a newborn into it.. That means I can now wash it again in the machine? Exciting news!

I'm excited, too, to have a newborn to diaper! My friend gave up on CDing and just sent me a ton of prefolds (they don't even look like they were prepped)! It was like Christmas morning opening up the box! She also sent all of her wipes, wetbags and covers! Such a wonderful present, and I didn't need anything since I have everything from DS1 still!

I wash the sweaters twice in hot water (once with very little soap and the second time w/o soap) and then dry them on high.  They come out beautifully felted and according to what the other ladies have said, now I can toss 'em in any time I need to!  You're so lucky to have gotten so many supplies from your friend, what a great coup!!  :)

#17 of 40 Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 PM

Today I made my first wool soaker from a felted sweater from Goodwill.  I used the Borntolove.com pattern and added a waist band.  I'm a very novice sewer and it probably took 4 times as long for me than it should have.  The tiny leg cuffs were tricky and I had to re-do them a few times and one is still messed up....plus my crappy sewing machine jammed about 1000 times.  Anyway, it's finished.....not great looking.....but looks somewhat functional.  Hopefully it will fit!  I have a few more patterns/tutorials to try out and a couple more sweaters to use.  I'm very excited to hear that we can just throw the felted soakers in the wash!! 

Montessorimama - what pattern/tutorial are you using?  Is it Katrina's Sew Quick Pattern?

#18 of 40 Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Looking at all those beautiful soakers makes me want to pull out the sewing machine. They're really cute.

#19 of 40 Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 PM

I love all this talk about wool, I just knit up these in a size small last month (not the best pic).  I plan to have at least 2 pairs of longies in size newborn and 2 in small and then two wool wraps in each size as well before the baby is born.  I think 4 covers is enough, but I may want to make some felted ones like you all have now too ;)

photo 1.JPG

#20 of 40 Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 AM

Only wool users here too. I've knitted up a couple and have some still from when DD was a NB, so I'm pretty set with NB. Now to start on the smalls :) I also make and sell interlock covers so I'm pretty set with the interlock. I love wool!!!

We use primarily fitteds, but I've made a few prefolds too. 

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#21 of 40 Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneboymum View Post

Montessorimama - what pattern/tutorial are you using?  Is it Katrina's Sew Quick Pattern?

Yep, here's the link if anyone's interested: http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/2007/10/free-soaker-pattern.html

juneboymum - If you keep at it you'll notice that it gets much easier!  The first one took me forever, too, and then there was the one where I sewed the leg band on inside-out and had to remove the whole thing!  The newborn ones are more difficult because they're so tiny but the size small are easier to handle.  It's best if you keep the main underwear part inside-out when you're sewing on the legs and waist bands, IMO, and having a good ballpoint needle helps, too.  Happy sewing!!

#22 of 40 Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post

I love all this talk about wool, I just knit up these in a size small last month (not the best pic).  I plan to have at least 2 pairs of longies in size newborn and 2 in small and then two wool wraps in each size as well before the baby is born.  I think 4 covers is enough, but I may want to make some felted ones like you all have now too ;)

They are just adorable!!!  :)  I was wondering how many would be enough, thanks for suggesting 4! 

#23 of 40 Old 11-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks, Montessorimama!

Sarah, those are cute!

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#24 of 40 Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM

pilar and sarah- those are beautiful!  i'm impressed with both of your skills- all i've ever sewn with a machine are curtains.  and i love the longies, sarah- they look so soft and squishy, and the cables down the sides are very pretty!

here's one of the soakers that my MIL made for the new baby.  she's very talented, and we're very spoiled!  i think knitting diaper covers is one of grandma's favorite things about getting a new grandchild!

GooseFront.jpg

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#25 of 40 Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 AM

Okay, that is just ridiculously cute! 

#26 of 40 Old 11-09-2011, 11:48 AM

Those are spectacular. Honestly, wow! I'm off to Ravelry to find a pattern....

#27 of 40 Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow!!  That's the cutest cover I've ever seen!  I'm jealous. :)

#28 of 40 Old 11-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

juneboymum - If you keep at it you'll notice that it gets much easier!  The first one took me forever, too, and then there was the one where I sewed the leg band on inside-out and had to remove the whole thing!  The newborn ones are more difficult because they're so tiny but the size small are easier to handle.  It's best if you keep the main underwear part inside-out when you're sewing on the legs and waist bands, IMO, and having a good ballpoint needle helps, too.  Happy sewing!!

Yup, I sewed one of the leg bands inside out already...on the first one!  It was a lot of trial and error!!  I'll have to get a ballpoint needle.  Do you find the 100% polyester thread to be really thick.  I was wondering if that was why I had so many probs, or maybe it was the wrong type of needle.  Thanks for the info  and support!!

#29 of 40 Old 11-09-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneboymum View Post

Yup, I sewed one of the leg bands inside out already...on the first one!  It was a lot of trial and error!!  I'll have to get a ballpoint needle.  Do you find the 100% polyester thread to be really thick.  I was wondering if that was why I had so many probs, or maybe it was the wrong type of needle.  Thanks for the info  and support!!

Hee hee hee, glad to hear I'm not the only one sewing bands inside out.  :) 

As for the thread, I normally use polyester, so it didn't throw me.  I like that it's more resistant than cotton.  I'm using a 90/14 ballpoint needle, if that's any help.  Seems to be working fine.

Oh, another tip (uses more thread but...): I sew the two layers of the leg and waist bands closed before sewing each to the main part of the underwear (instead of trying to sew three layers together).  It has made things soooo much easier!  Does that make sense?

#30 of 40 Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 PM

I should take photos of the wool soakers my mom made me from ugly 70s era wool sweaters. I know they will work great, but, uh, they are particularly aesthetically pleasing. My baby will look like a hipster in his ironic 70s sweater soakers. twins.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page