Forum Jump: 

#61 of 88 Old 11-17-2011, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejax View Post

A random thought/vent

So every now and then I'll wake up with a pounding heart to the point of it hurting. Even when I'm sitting around it will happen from the middle of no where....besides my random pelvic pain. I don't understand whats wrong or if anything is wrong. Every lab test Iv taken comes back good, BP is good and so on.  So what in the world is happening to me? I just don't want anything to effect my little guy. The stress from it puts me in tears bawling.gif

Sounds sort of like anxiety...I get feeling like that sometimes. Even subconsiously in my sleep.

Random thought here...maybe your little one is stretched out when you are sleeping and compressing everything even more, which may explain the heart beating harder because of the compression....just throwing an idea out.

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#62 of 88 Old 11-17-2011, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

I haven't read it, but the fact that I was borderline gestational diabetic last pregnancy AND my mom has diabetes AND my maternal grandma AND my maternal great grandma  had it, I'm guess the possibility of me having it this time is fairly high.

I think my doctor is pretty set in his ways too...this is the only thing I have butted heads with him on.  I hate, hate, hate the damned glucose tests.  I'm thinking if I want to go another route, I am going to have to make an appointment and personally go in there and discuss it with him.  Honestly, part of me just wants to say "ok, I am diabetic, screw this three hour test, lets just go straight to the dietician and having me test my sugar."  Even if I am not, the diet and finger pokes wouldn't hurt me.

Maybe thats what I will do....

Of course Thanksgiving would be next week. Damn.

That's a bummer that you have to deal with chilichiki!  Sorry.  I think the article states that monitoring BG daily is more accurate anyway, so seeing the dietician and testing BG daily would be a good way to go.  You'll see for sure how your body is responding to what you eat.    Good Luck!

On another note ~ semi preg related ~, we're a selective vax family and one vax that I don't agree with is the chicken pox vax.  I truely believe that our kids are much better off being exposed to chicken pox and aquiring natural immunity for life.  Well, chicken pox are incredibly hard to find around here, but there is a supposed case not too far from here.  I had my midwife add a titer to my last BW and I have immunity so supposedly it would be no risk to myself, or baby.  I just don't know if I have the energy to deal with a sick toddler, especially with Thanksgiving coming up.  I also can't really afford to miss work at this point to stay home with him.  It's so frustrating that the 1 case I've seen around here since we moved has to happen during pregnancy/holidays/etc.  If only you could bottle up the virus and use it later!! 

#63 of 88 Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneboymum View Post

On another note ~ semi preg related ~, we're a selective vax family and one vax that I don't agree with is the chicken pox vax.  I truely believe that our kids are much better off being exposed to chicken pox and aquiring natural immunity for life.  Well, chicken pox are incredibly hard to find around here, but there is a supposed case not too far from here.  I had my midwife add a titer to my last BW and I have immunity so supposedly it would be no risk to myself, or baby.  I just don't know if I have the energy to deal with a sick toddler, especially with Thanksgiving coming up.  I also can't really afford to miss work at this point to stay home with him.  It's so frustrating that the 1 case I've seen around here since we moved has to happen during pregnancy/holidays/etc.  If only you could bottle up the virus and use it later!! 

My daughter will be six in a few months and I *still* haven't found someone with the chicken pox.  They're impossible to find!!  I went against my gut and just gave her the damn vaccination a few months ago.  So annoying.  My thing is that I've never had them so getting them while pregnant wouldn't be good for any of us.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#64 of 88 Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:

I haven't read it, but the fact that I was borderline gestational diabetic last pregnancy AND my mom has diabetes AND my maternal grandma AND my maternal great grandma  had it, I'm guess the possibility of me having it this time is fairly high.

I think my doctor is pretty set in his ways too...this is the only thing I have butted heads with him on.  I hate, hate, hate the damned glucose tests.  I'm thinking if I want to go another route, I am going to have to make an appointment and personally go in there and discuss it with him.  Honestly, part of me just wants to say "ok, I am diabetic, screw this three hour test, lets just go straight to the dietician and having me test my sugar."  Even if I am not, the diet and finger pokes wouldn't hurt me.

My dad, all his brothers and sisters, and my paternal grandfather are/were diabetic... It does not mean that you are or ever will be, as long as you monitor your food intake and eat a good balanced diet.  Never, EVER, would you consume pure glucose except for this test... Matter of fact, the test is only 25% accurate (read the article, woman, it will shed a lot of light on your situation!!).  The jury is still out on whether GD even exists!  You'd be better off like you say, going straight to the dietician and doing finger pokes!  Don't put your body and your baby in harm's way because a male doctor who has never had to do this test or be pregnant is set in his ways!!!  It's your body and your baby...

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#65 of 88 Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM

Keep in mind that the article is a blog post, not a news article, and you may want to check out your own sources.  

Conchobhar likes this.
#66 of 88 Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 PM

I have read the article along with some other ones.  What is comes down to is, I know how I feel when I take the damned test and I know how it messes with me for a couple of days.  Since my doctor has already told me if it determines I am diabetic that I will go to the dietician and test my sugar daily, it just seems like the smart thing to skip to that step.  Even if I am not diabetic, following the diet and poking myself will not hurt me or the baby.

My thoughts are that the doctor is going to tell me either 1) My insurance won't pay for me to see the dietician UNTIL I fail the three hour test or 2) He wants me to take the test to determine if my possible GD is severe and I need to start taking insulin or other medications right away.

It seems like if the second is the case, that could still be determined fairly quickly with a controlled diet and home testing. Hopefully.

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#67 of 88 Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 PM

RE:  Chicken pox - Around Christmastime last year, my then-5 year old DD acquired the chicken pox.  Since she pretty much only went to Kindergarten and hung out at home, with trips to the grocery store thrown in, we're guessing she somehow got it from someone in school.

Of course, the school says they don't know of any students who had the chicken pox the entire year.  I'm still lost as to where she managed to get them from.

If it makes any of you feel any better, she got a mild case and other than a little bit of itching, she acted like her normal self. She had them on Christmas morning, and we took her to the pediatrician a few days later to get the official diagnosis.

My DS used to share a bed with her back then (their decision, not mine.  They'd start the night out in separate beds, but we'd always find them cuddling together in the mornings) and he never got them. 

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#68 of 88 Old 11-19-2011, 08:28 AM

Ugh, totally off the subject of chicken pox, but I just need to vent... How can I get my husband to stop inviting people over for dinner/the weekend???  He seems to think that since I'm not working outside the home, I have plenty of energy to cook up a storm, clean the house for guests, host a dinner, and clean up the mountain of dishes afterwards.  I've already told him that I can't muster up that much energy and that mopping and vacuuming make me throw out my back.  Being on my feet for such a long time is exhausting, and the baby is more active in the evenings, which makes it even harder to move around. 

My family tried to invite themselves over for the week of Christmas and I turned them down.  And yet, knowing that, my husband has invited a couple of his friends from LA down for the Thanksgiving weekend.  Then he wanted me to make dinner for his sister, her husband, and their three kids under 6 this Sunday (I firmly put my foot down for that one, I hate cooking for spoiled kids who hate all food that's not mac & cheese).  And his other sister is coming down the weekend after Thanksgiving and staying for close to a week.  I just hosted his mother for five days... Can't an 8-month pregnant person get a break around here??  He sees what little sleep I get and how I waddle instead of walk... I hate to say no because I'm not working and he is, and we really can't afford to go out to restaurants all the time with all these guests, and also because I told him I didn't want guests visiting from out-of-town in the two months after the baby is born (which is why everyone wants to come now!!).   Grrrrrrrrrr... I hate being the bad guy... He doesn't cook, and I would feel bad saying "Fine, you want them to come, you clean the house" but that's what it's boiling down to...

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#69 of 88 Old 11-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Montessori Mama---just say NO and come from a place of truth when you say it. What I mean is really say it aloud and really hear yourself so you can honor where you are right now. You need rest and space and that needs to be honored. Friends and family can wait. Honor yourself and the others will follow!

Another off-topic thing.....so we've picked out a first name and have a potential middle name but then baby's initials will be "EEL". Any advice or thoughts on that one? How bad is it? I'm not so worried about monogramming because these days you can monogram with the last name initial in the middle and make it "ELE" and really my kids don't have many things monogrammed with initials. What do you guys think?

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#70 of 88 Old 11-19-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

Another off-topic thing.....so we've picked out a first name and have a potential middle name but then baby's initials will be "EEL". Any advice or thoughts on that one? How bad is it? I'm not so worried about monogramming because these days you can monogram with the last name initial in the middle and make it "ELE" and really my kids don't have many things monogrammed with initials. What do you guys think?

I don't think that's so terrible, and like you say, the monogram can be with the last name initial in the middle... My husband has a cousin who was named Ashley Susan Stephens.  Yeah, parents weren't really thinking...  lol.gif

#71 of 88 Old 11-19-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

I don't think that's so terrible, and like you say, the monogram can be with the last name initial in the middle... My husband has a cousin who was named Ashley Susan Stephens.  Yeah, parents weren't really thinking...  lol.gif

Oh man, that's not cool! moon.gif

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#72 of 88 Old 11-19-2011, 02:07 PM

I say if you like the names, go for it. One of our potential middle name choices would make our little one's initials "OMG" - I don't love it, but if that's what we come to agree on for a middle name, I"m not going to let that stop me. Who knows if it'll even be a "thing" when he gets older *shrugs*

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#73 of 88 Old 11-19-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Sounds sort of like anxiety...I get feeling like that sometimes. Even subconsiously in my sleep.

Random thought here...maybe your little one is stretched out when you are sleeping and compressing everything even more, which may explain the heart beating harder because of the compression....just throwing an idea out.

Im almost sure its him stretched out, sometimes when I sit up I cant sit straight bc it feels like hes right under my ribs.

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

#74 of 88 Old 11-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Just looking for an "anybody else?" as this is the first time I've dealt with this...

I have been spending more and more time on my yoga ball to sit while I'm hanging out in the living room.  It feels all wonderful and soft while I'm sitting.  And then I try to get up...and everything hurts.  My pelvis feels all spread out and won't go back together.  I can't walk for a few minutes.  It just...sucks.  Yet I can sit on the sofa and nothing hurts when I get up.  Logic tells me to stop with the ball, but I've used it for both kids and I've never had an issue before.

Thoughts?

Angela
#75 of 88 Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 PM

Angela, I'm getting that frequently when I stand from sitting in a chair or on the snowmachine.  Sucks.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#76 of 88 Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 AM

Just wanted to share a priceless exchange I had with hubby this morning... (preface: I just received 5 dozen pre-folds that I'm turning into fitteds...)

Me: I'm so glad I got these prefolds.  Now I just have to wash them a few times in hot water so they'll be ready to sew into fitteds.

Hubby (with opinionated, know-it-all tone that annoys me to no end): I really think one washing is enough, because otherwise you waste water and use too much energy, it's not necessary to wash them more than once, blah blah...

Me (totally calm and cheerful): OK, if you know so much about cloth diapers, maybe you should be the one in charge of changing diapers.

Hubby: Uh, maybe you're right, washing them several times in hot water makes sense.

Victory!!  biggrinbounce.gif

#77 of 88 Old 11-30-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Angela, I just bought a ball for my office, and I really had a hard time sitting on it all day yesterday. Today I'm back in my chair for 3/4 of the day, and I'm going to try the ball for a bit this afternoon. P'haps you just need to get used to it? 

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#78 of 88 Old 11-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writinglove View Post

Angela, I just bought a ball for my office, and I really had a hard time sitting on it all day yesterday. Today I'm back in my chair for 3/4 of the day, and I'm going to try the ball for a bit this afternoon. P'haps you just need to get used to it? 

I've been using it for months.  It's just *now* starting to bother me.  It just seems so odd as I know I used it up through labor for my other two.

Angela
#79 of 88 Old 11-30-2011, 10:30 AM

I'm sitting on a ball as we speak.  I think I can sit on it for like a half hour until my body starts asking me to try a different seating arrangement.  Oddly I am most comfortable on the hard dining room table chairs sitting cross-legged.  My hips are a bit screwy this week, like loose and pop-y, so maybe our hips are settling into their birthing size....

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#80 of 88 Old 11-30-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

I've been using it for months.  It's just *now* starting to bother me.  It just seems so odd as I know I used it up through labor for my other two.

Well, you have stumped me. ROTFLMAO.gif Sounds like your bod is saying "no." Maybe your hips are doing something new this time? Hope they are feeling better soon.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

#81 of 88 Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM

sounds like SPD.  I haven't been able to sit on a ball for long periods of time in this pregnancy or my last.

#82 of 88 Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Ok, I just want to be a whiney mess right now...

I took my son out for lunch at a thai place.  The lady went to seat us and asked when I was due.  I said "8 weeks to go" with a big smile and she said "Why you so big?" with this huge gasp.  I just sort of looked at her and, again, "Why you so big?!" with a bigger gasp.

I've never wanted to cry so much in my life.  I'm *not* big.  I'm 32 weeks...I measure 32 weeks...I've gained about 15 pounds and I started out at a size 6-8.  I'm an average size woman!  But it's not about that it's about feeling assaulted because someone said something that made me feel wrong.  Blah.

I would have walked out, but I was using a Groupon and it expired today. :(  Plus, this place has the best damn pad thai in town.

Angela
#83 of 88 Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Angela, heaven only knows what prompted her to say that to you, but I do know one thing: People can be really thoughtless.

It sounds like you have taken really good care of your body, and I am absolutely certain it shows. If her words come back to haunt you, try to catch and change the thought, and remind yourself that they came from a thoughtless person.

Keep on shining you 32-week Goddess! candle.gif

#84 of 88 Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Its funny that you say that...today, i have had no less than five people comment on how I look like I am due any day now.  One woman, when I told her I was almost 32 weeks said "But you are so huge!" Wow, thanks.

My stomach is really the only part of me right now that is big...and it feels huge to me, but I thought that was just part of me being sick of being pregnant.  Having so many people comment on it makes me paranoid!!

#85 of 88 Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 PM

I have more of the opposite reaction....the "wow your still so small". I'm thinking well what size am I suppose to be? Doctor never said anything is wrong....  People really are thoughtless and just bc were showing doesn't mean were open to talking about the size of our bodies. Pregnant  or not. I don't feel people are purposely being rude but they really should be more aware of what they say and their reactions... 

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

#86 of 88 Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 PM

So is it just me or does anyone else get weird out by people wanting to touch your stomach? This isn't my first baby and I didn't like being touched with that pregnancy either. All that runs through my head is.."yeah there's a baby in there but your not touching the baby, you trying to stroke my enlarged uterus!" Maybe I'm just being weird but I find it very personal to be touched period...sooo what makes people think its okay to touch someones belly when shes pregnant?  

#87 of 88 Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Ok, I just want to be a whiney mess right now...

I took my son out for lunch at a thai place.  The lady went to seat us and asked when I was due.  I said "8 weeks to go" with a big smile and she said "Why you so big?" with this huge gasp.  I just sort of looked at her and, again, "Why you so big?!" with a bigger gasp.

I've never wanted to cry so much in my life.  I'm *not* big.  I'm 32 weeks...I measure 32 weeks...I've gained about 15 pounds and I started out at a size 6-8.  I'm an average size woman!  But it's not about that it's about feeling assaulted because someone said something that made me feel wrong.  Blah.

I would have walked out, but I was using a Groupon and it expired today. :(  Plus, this place has the best damn pad thai in town.

angela, you're awesome and you know it.  you've been taking great care of yourself, and you rock this pregnancy thing.

some people can be really lame.

i have a friend who keeps remarking about some old wives tale about how baby girls are supposed to steal their mothers' good looks during pregnancy, and she keeps mentioning that i'm going to be getting uglier before this is over.  some people just don't realize that their judgement reflects worse on them.  i think i look fantastic, and i am sure you do, too.  :)

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#88 of 88 Old 12-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Had a doctors appt today. I'm 36 weeks and found out I'm dilated 3cm already! I'm excited but really want him to be completely develop before he makes his debut. luxlove.gif **cook a little longer baby at least a week longer**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page