January DDC Birth Bead Exchange? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 11-11-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I’d really like to get this started! A little about Birth Beads... http://www.birthbeads.com/Birthbeads.html

From futuremamaheather: “The Dec 2011 DDC has organized a bead swap, you could look at those posts to see how to do it. Basically, it was just that people signed up, once the sign up was done each person bought one bead for every person in the swap (including themself) and sent it to a central person. The central person then strung the beads, included a list of which bead was from who, and mailed them out to everyone in the group. To make it easier for the central person, each packet of beads contained a self addressed, stamped envelope for the return trip.”

So as I understand it, the steps are:

1. Express interest in the exchange

2. Officially ‘sign up’ by PMing me so I can add you to the Google group.

3. At the end of the sign-up period, check the number of people on the list as seen on this thread. Collect the appropriate number of beads.

4. Send your beads PLUS a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the volunteer organizer. Because we have limited time, I think it might be best to begin collecting beads as soon as you know you are interested, (or keeping an eye out for them) in order to send within a week after the sign-up closes.

5. The organizer receives all the beads, divides them up among participants, and returns the newly exchanged beads to each mama in the envelope they provided.

6. We hope the mails cooperates for us!

(Here’s a link to the December DDC’s thread... as you can see they got started way early!: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1326966/birth-beads#post_16621157 )

I’ve taken the step of starting a Google Group for us to discuss the exchange. Let’s run a sign-up period until the end of Novemberish... let’s say the 25th, a solid two weeks to sign up. The sign up period is now over... time to collect your beads!

Please reply to this thread if you are interested. Send me a PM with your email address if you are certain you’d like to participate, and I will add you to the Google Group. Once you have PM’ed me and been successfully added to the group, I’ll add your username to the list below as ‘officially participating’. 

I would appreciate if someone in the US could volunteer to be the person to whom we send beads to and act as our bead organizer/distributor. Because I’m in Canada I worry that border-crossing could hold things up! ONLY the person organizing the exchange will have access to your mailing address. 

Thanks to montessorimama1 for volunteering! She'll be our 'organiz-a-trix/central bead hub' - we will send our beads and envelopes to her, and she will divide and redistribute them.

Participants:

1. cedarwoman (confirmed)

2. AfricanQueen99 (confirmed)

3. HardCoreMom (confirmed)

4. juneboymom (confirmed)

5. montessorimama1 (confirmed)

6. moonSnail (confirmed)

7. sarah_bella1050 (confirmed, email only)

8. Milly_P (confirmed)

9. hannabee (confirmed)

10. coldandsleepy (confirmed)

11. Psmythe (confirmed)

12. chiroinparadise (confirmed)

13. indigoscot (confirmed)

14.. L'lee (confirmed)

15.. waluso (confirmed)

16. HippieIncognito (confirmed)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 36 Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM

I'm in.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#3 of 36 Old 11-11-2011, 02:38 PM

i'm in, and i'll PM you.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#4 of 36 Old 11-11-2011, 03:04 PM

I just PMed you!  Thanks!

#5 of 36 Old 11-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'm in.  I'll PM you right now.  And if you still need a volunteer to receive and mail the beads in the US, count on me.  I don't work, I'm always home, and I'm in major craft mode.  :)

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#6 of 36 Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 PM

Me, too!  Me, too!  I'll PM you!

#7 of 36 Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 PM

awe yes, please! 

#8 of 36 Old 11-11-2011, 10:49 PM

I'm in.  I loved doing this with my last DDC.  I made a bracelet out of mine and found it so comforting to look at while in labor knowing that there were so many other women taking the journey as I was.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#9 of 36 Old 11-12-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

If anyone has a Gmail address, those seem to work better in terms of getting added to the group! Please PM me if you have trouble getting in or would like me to exchange the original email address you sent along for your Gmail one.

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#10 of 36 Old 11-12-2011, 05:26 PM

I posted that my gmail account overrode my hotmail account (the one you were given).  Do you want to just delete my hotmail one and keep me with the gmail?  Your call.

Angela
#11 of 36 Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 PM

One more thing...

In my last exchange we were given the option of either sending a SASE *or* a padded envelope with a book of stamps.  Sending the book of stamps was easier for the in country girls because it's so hard to judge postage and that way the organizer just knew how much to toss on the envelope, threw the extras inside, and then sealed before sending.  Just a thought.

Angela
#12 of 36 Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 PM

same thing happened with me.  i'd prefer to use my AOL account over my gmail, but since i need to stay logged into my gmail all the time, i don't know if google will automatically revert to that identity whenever i try to use the googlegroup.  oh well.  i'm just happy to participate.  :)

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#13 of 36 Old 11-12-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom View Post

same thing happened with me.  i'd prefer to use my AOL account over my gmail, but since i need to stay logged into my gmail all the time, i don't know if google will automatically revert to that identity whenever i try to use the googlegroup.  oh well.  i'm just happy to participate.  :)

That's my issue.  I'm always logged in to google for work so I don't think it will let me use hotmail.  Funny how computers think they're smarter than people!

Angela
#14 of 36 Old 11-12-2011, 05:32 PM

I got on immediately with the gmail address, so it's OK to just delete my hotmail one.  That way no one will get confused about the number of people.

Thanks!

#15 of 36 Old 11-12-2011, 05:33 PM

yeahthat.gif  exactly!  word for word, my very response.

#16 of 36 Old 11-12-2011, 07:08 PM

I did this in another due date club years ago and it was so fun! Count me in!

Milly, stumbling horribly on God's path, married to my amazing Superhero, and mama to my 3 awesome boys, and my amazing rainbow baby girl!  Missing our Little One, lost 11/09, and our son, stillborn 11/10

#17 of 36 Old 11-12-2011, 07:15 PM

Also, I don't know how complicated it would be, but in the last ddc I did it in, we each printed out (or wrote out) why we chose that bead and then cut in strips (enough "explanations" for each bead/mama) and they went with the bead. OR, we could have a thread on the group that explains why...you just have to explain what your bead looked like for those receiving...

Milly, stumbling horribly on God's path, married to my amazing Superhero, and mama to my 3 awesome boys, and my amazing rainbow baby girl!  Missing our Little One, lost 11/09, and our son, stillborn 11/10

#18 of 36 Old 11-13-2011, 04:59 PM

I'm in!  I've been interested in the idea of birth beads for a few months, and this would be cool!  Like sarah_bella said, it would be neat to have a reminder that other women are on the same journey...

Theatre-techie at heart, married to a theatre-techie hubby,and mama to an incredible baby girl, (h20homebirth.gifJan 14, 2012) and expecting a surprise in July 2014!  We are having a blastbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif, andfemalesling.GIF.
#19 of 36 Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 PM

I'm in! :)

#20 of 36 Old 11-14-2011, 01:02 PM

I'm new to the whole idea of birth beads.

Is it just some random bead that catches your eye?  Is it a different bead for each individual person, or do you buy bulk of the same bead for everyone?

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#21 of 36 Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 AM

Sounds like fun! I'd like to do it!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#22 of 36 Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 AM

i'm interested but where do you buy the beads?  Michaels?  Help!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#23 of 36 Old 11-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoscot View Post

i'm interested but where do you buy the beads?  Michaels?  Help!

g

You can buy them at any place that has a craft department - Michael's, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, etc.  There are also specialty bead stores - they're a bit more expensive, but the options are endless.  Additionally, you can make them.

Angela
#24 of 36 Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 AM

thanks!!  i'm in then - there's a michaels close to work that i can visit at lunchtime.  :)

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#25 of 36 Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 PM

Still haven't gotten my email for the group....

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#26 of 36 Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 PM

I'm in, I love this idea. Thank you for starting it!!

#27 of 36 Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm in!  I like the idea of sending a 'why I chose this bead'.  Would it be too much work for the mailer if I happen to spot a bead that I think might be meaningful for a particular participant to have one or two intended for someone specific?  Are we aiming for any particular size?

#28 of 36 Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

@Psmythe you've been added to the group! Best to ask montessorimama1 about how much time she's able to devote to organizing/mailing... and we have a thread up in the group talking about bead types/sizes (I think, if not, feel free to add one)

#29 of 36 Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

@sarah_bella1050,  @imakecutebabies ... I've tried adding you to the group again! Let me know if it hasn't gone through.

#30 of 36 Old 11-17-2011, 07:01 PM

We have quite a list... so exciting! 

The organizer of the Dec. bead swap took a picture of each bead she received and posted it with the name of the sender, then gave them an opportunity to write a little about the bead in the posting.... that just one other option for finding out a little something about why each bead was chosen, if our wonderful organizer is so inclined..... 

I think writing about the bead you send for each participant is also a great idea, and maybe more personal.... as long as it's evident which bead goes with which description. 

This is so fun..... It is so neat to think about getting so many tiny surprises from women so far away, yet going through the same thing.

I have ideas for my beads already!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page