Mothering Forum banner

Herbs in the 3rd Trimester

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Devaskyla 
#1 ·
Hi Ladies! Has anyone's provider recommended that you start taking any kind of herbs/ supplements to help with labor and delivery? I'm specifically looking for recommendations on Red Raspberry Leaf and Evening Primrose Oil. There seems to be a lot of mixed research out there so I'd love to hear your experiences w/ amount, type, and when to start. Thanks so much!

#3 ·
I've been drinking RRL "sweet" tea this whole pregnancy - the same as my second pregnancy. As it falls into the "may help, won't hurt" category I use it as my sweet treat every day, plus I really do believe it helped with my last labor.

I just make a gallon jug and drink at will.

#4 ·
i drink RRL tea once i hit term, and i start taking EPO as i near 40 weeks. i have gone quite late with all of my kiddos, so i have no hesitation to use either of these things, and i do think they help.

#5 ·
My midwife said I could drink RRL tea throughout the pregnancy with no issues, so I've been having 3-4 cups a day of Mother-to-be tea... Don't know about any other supplements, though.

#6 ·
I had RRL tea last time, 2 cups a day for 2nd trimester and 3 cups a day for the third trimester. That may have played a part in my 7 hour labor.

This time, I have sometimes had RRL, but I've been getting such strong BHs that I've stopped doing that. I think maybe my body knows what it's doing this time around. I may have a strong, hot RRL when I'm in labor and all my ducks are lined up.

#9 ·
I'll start drinking RRL at 37 wks. It caused contractions for me with ds3 & I've had quite enough issues that way this time around so I'm not taking chances. I need to get some alfalfa & start drinking nettle/alfalfa tea for the nutrients, esp Vit K.

#11 ·
I have been drinking RRL since 24 weeks. Currently I am 32 weeks and I just stepped up the amount I drink to 3 cups I day. I mix in some Nettle too. I want to start alfalfa as well. Not sure when I will do EPO.

I was told by my midwife to use tea tree oil suppositories for a week before my GBS test so I will be started those in a few weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.