Breech anyone? Baby is breech at 30 weeks. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Great. My baby is breech. I am planning a homebirth. One of the main reasons is so i can avoid all those almost teenage interns who delivered my first baby,  and gave me all these unnecessary interventions. Then in my first trimester this time, i was appalled by the incompetency of similarly teenaged interns and know it all doctors who described a bit of spotting as ''á missed abortion''. I was  so relieved to transfer to my midwife who actually has some experience in childbirth.

But if baby stays breech...dunno. Im a bit reluctant to do a manual inversion.  I hope  baby turns by herself.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

Oh, and another thing,  i think its better for the baby to keep the umbilical cord in tact for at least an hour after birth. They wouldnt even consider the option last time at the hospital, which was one reason among many others i opted for a homebirth (and kept cord intact)

#2 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There's still plenty of time for a baby to turn at 30 weeks, especially in a multip.  I personally would just wait and not be concerned until at least 32+ weeks, but if you want, you can try many techniques at home.  Also regular chiropractic adjustments by a Webster certified chiro may help.  

MOST babies breech at 30 weeks will turn without you doing anything. 

If you have a provider in your area who is good at versions, I would try that as well though.  Despite a lot of scare tactics used by OBs who either suck at ECV or just would prefer not to try, it is a very safe procedure.

#3 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 08:09 AM

Mine was and recently turned.  I did a whole bunch of inverted positioning, lots of yoga (specifically cat-cow and downward facing dog) and, my favorite, ate ice cream and frozen yogurt in a hot bathtub when my feet were up.  I've also heard that moxibustion on your little toe and chiropractic adjustments can help.

Check out the Spinning Babies website and try not to stress too much, you still have lots of time.

Healthcare is a human right!
#4 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Both my kids turned the week before birth.  So I am not worried about the newb.  You still have plenty of time, but if you're concerned start googling Optimal Fetal Positioning to get your kid in the correct spot.

Will your midwife attend a breech birth?

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#5 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 AM

My 2nd daughter was break up until about 34 weeks if I remember correctly. I didn't do anything crazy to get her to turn, but I spent a lot of time stretching and trying to lay/sit in good positions. We also had a homebirth after a hospital birth. And yay for not cutting the cord too soon! :) Which reminds me, I need to go post my birth story....

#6 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM

breech here, too.  trying not to worry about it too much, at this point (keyword: trying).

i can't use the birth center if the baby is breech. : /

(turn babies, turn!)

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#7 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 10:52 AM

I just went to my MW check up at 30 weeks, my LO is still breech too.  Of course, this has ME a bit stressed out, but my MW was totally unconcerned.  It might be worth calling your midwife to find out what her stance is on delivering breech, just so you know.  For my MW, she has delivered a few breech babies, but in her experience it's very uncommon for the baby to still be breech at delivery time.  She told me most babies settle into delivery position by 32 weeks, but a lot of mamas have said their babes take even longer than that.  I did buy an exercise ball to sit on for computer work, like spinning babies recommend, and will also spend a little time every day elevating my pelvis to help baby come into the right position.  So take some comfort in the fact that statistically it's very unlikely that the baby will still be breech at delivery time, and that we still have 2 and half months to turn those babies!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#8 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

31 weeks here now and still breech. I really have no interest in having a vaginal breech birth.... I very much prefer for babies to come head first, but it is still too early to panic or worry too much. I am giving it another few weeks before I start working more seriously on getting the baby to turn.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#9 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 03:31 PM

If it makes anyone feel better (or maybe scares the heck out of them!)  when my mother was pregnant with me, I was in position the whole last trimester...but flipped the night before she went into labor.  She said she was lying in bed and knew exactly what was happening but could not keep me where I was.  About ten hours later she went into labor with me and eventually ended up getting a c-section.

So- for those of you with stubborn breech babies...they may just move at the last minute.  And for those of us with babies head down...fingers crossed they stay where they are!!!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#10 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 PM

i'm interested to read more about external versions- i've heard differing perspectives, but i haven't formed my own opinion on them, or considered/ruled them out should this baby decide to stay put.  anyone with articles to share?   lurk.gif

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#11 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 08:27 PM

http://www.chifountain.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ecv-related-risks-meta-analysis.pdf

This is a meta-analysis from 2005 which looked at 84 studies - totalling 12,955 cases of ECV.  There were 12 fetal deaths total in the study (0.19%), only 2 were directly attributable to the ECV (0.0015%).  

How the procedure is done will vary by provider, by their experience and comfort level, and of course yours as well.  Most providers want to do it in the hospital, with IV access, use uterine relaxers and some even want an epidural going.  Some will insist that if the version is successful, you immediately induce, so they make you wait until 37+ weeks to try it.  Others will tell you that 37 weeks is "too late" so you have to schedule a cesarean.

My provider does them in his office, pretty frequently, and he is wicked good at it.  I think my personal comfort level would be if the baby was still breech at 34 weeks to go ahead and let him try, but not before then, and I wouldn't want to wait TOO long because I'm pretty small and I would worry that the baby wouldn't have room to turn. 

I am a candidate for vaginal breech birth but I would prefer, all things considered, to have a vertex baby :)

#12 of 15 Old 11-19-2011, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There are tons of babies who turn right towards the end. If you're 37+ weeks and baby is still breech, I'd worry about trying to turn her. A friend of mine had a breech homebirth though and it went wonderfully. redheadmusings.blogspot.com/2010/06/story-of-miriams-breech-homebirth.html

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#13 of 15 Old 11-19-2011, 11:16 AM

spinning babies.com!

My baby goes back n forth still at almost 34 weeks. The birth center I am using doesnt really worry till at least 34-35 weeks. So Try not to stress yet. Def check out spinning babies though! great site :)

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#14 of 15 Old 11-19-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thanks everyone. Very reassuring and informative.

I guess my plan of action would be, schedule an external version only towards the very end.  I wonder how late i should leave it? My first ds was inducued due to being overdue at 41 weeks, and ds2 came right on his due date at home. Im not worried about going early(i worry about going overdue), but if i did,  and was still breech. What then? Would that qualify for an emergency c section?  As for a home vaginal birth with a breech baby, my babies were both over 8lbs, and my guess is number 3 is going to follow suit, so i dont expect to  be able to deliver breech vaginally if it comes to that ( i read on spinning babies that a vaginal birth is possible, but baby is supposed to be under 8lbs)

I look forward to updates from others with breech babies :-)

Btw, right now im getting poking sensations from the other side of my abdomen, the left side rather than the right side. I wish i could figure out the baby's position...

#15 of 15 Old 11-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Thanks everyone. Very reassuring and informative.

I guess my plan of action would be, schedule an external version only towards the very end.  I wonder how late i should leave it? My first ds was inducued due to being overdue at 41 weeks, and ds2 came right on his due date at home. Im not worried about going early(i worry about going overdue), but if i did,  and was still breech. What then? Would that qualify for an emergency c section?  As for a home vaginal birth with a breech baby, my babies were both over 8lbs, and my guess is number 3 is going to follow suit, so i dont expect to  be able to deliver breech vaginally if it comes to that ( i read on spinning babies that a vaginal birth is possible, but baby is supposed to be under 8lbs)

I look forward to updates from others with breech babies :-)

Btw, right now im getting poking sensations from the other side of my abdomen, the left side rather than the right side. I wish i could figure out the baby's position...

Those are just Gail's personal guidelines, so I would ask your midwife and/or any care provider who does hospital breeches in your area (if you would consider that).  You have a twice proven pelvis which I think definitely works in your favor.

I think they usually look for an EFW of 2500-4000g, which is 8lbs8oz.  The presentation would probably matter more - most providers are only comfortable with frank breech although some are ok with a TOL for complete breech, watching to see if the feet drop down first or not (which would then switch you to a c/s)

Have you tried belly mapping? http://spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/belly-mapping

Lie down and take some deep breaths to relax, and try using the directions on the site.  You might be surprised what you can tell :)

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page