Tell me I'm doing the right thing..I'm going to the ER - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-25-2011, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Of course, I left town for the holiday so I'm here with my family in PA and now I've been having mouth pain/tooth pain for over a month now. The last dentist I went to said 'It's just gingivitis and things will get better in a couple days' K well fast forward..and yesterday things got AWFUL. Shooting pain in my teeth, my face is swelling and my head hurts constantly. The pain hasn't been this bad, it's been painful..but not to the point where I can't eat. Now I can't eat, or sleep. I was going to go to the express care at the local hospital but they closed at 6 today - of course, that's my luck. 

So now I'm sitting here crying, feeling stupid for going to an ER for a tooth..but I'm in so much pain I can't eat or even sleep and I feel so bad for my child. 

On top of that, the costs! I don't have insurance so I really don't want to go but what am I supposed to do until Monday when I have a dentist appointment? I called 6 dentists around here today and NO ONE was in. So I had to call back home to make an appt asap and then they wanted a fax from my midwife to be able to work on me..and logically speaking in my mind Monday doesn't seem so far away and I should be able to tough it out..but then I think oh my God MONDAY is a century away how am I not supposed to eat or sleep til Monday afternoon? 

This is NOT what I ordered for the week. Tell me I'm doing the right thing..somebody..anybody..

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#2 of 15 Old 11-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Sounds like you could have an abscess. Can you do urgent care instead? If that is an option in your area, it is a LOT less expensive. I hope you feel better soon.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 15 Old 11-25-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

The urgent care closed at 6 today. That's the only hospital around here for an hour and a half. I know for sure I have an abscess, at least one of them - if not more. It is ridiculously painful, what's even more awful is not being able to eat. It is literally so painful to chew my eyes water. I wish the urgent care was still open - I really feel stupid going to the ER for a tooth. 

#4 of 15 Old 11-25-2011, 03:44 PM

I know it feels stupid, but it is even more important to treat infections in the mouth if you're pregnant. If you can't eat, you can't feed that baby. hug2.gif

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#5 of 15 Old 11-25-2011, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Don't feel stupid. I had a tooth abscess last year that was so insanely painful and caused my face to swell and for me to not be able to sleep. I needed hard core antibiotics before they could even do a root canal and then I also ended up on some heavy duty pain killers during that time. It was insanely painful and I do not blame you at all for heading to the ER for it. I hope they are able to get you started on some antibiotics and maybe give you something for the pain so that it is more tolerable waiting for Monday to come.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#6 of 15 Old 11-25-2011, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I agree with everyone; go and get some antibiotics and painkillers.  The stress you are under is not healthy... You'll find a way to pay for the bills over the long run, right now take care of yourself and your baby.  Hang in there, girl...

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#7 of 15 Old 11-25-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwifeErika View Post

Don't feel stupid. I had a tooth abscess last year that was so insanely painful and caused my face to swell and for me to not be able to sleep. I needed hard core antibiotics before they could even do a root canal and then I also ended up on some heavy duty pain killers during that time. It was insanely painful and I do not blame you at all for heading to the ER for it. I hope they are able to get you started on some antibiotics and maybe give you something for the pain so that it is more tolerable waiting for Monday to come.

You're right - they hurt like crazy. I had an abscessed tooth at 38 weeks with DD, and didn't have a regular dentist because we had just switched insurance companies. I went to the only dentist in town, and he was trying to refuse treatment. I told him that I KNEW it was more dangerous to wait than to treat an infection in pregnancy, and he finally relented by giving me antibiotics. I had to call my OB on call for pain relief because I couldn't eat or sleep, either. She called the dentist some not so nice names, and got me some meds for the pain.

Don't beat yourself up over it - abscesses stink.

#8 of 15 Old 11-25-2011, 04:53 PM

My sister once collapsed and had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance while suffering from an abcess when she was 13. The doctors weren't sure but thought the infection may have entered her blood stream and caused a systemic reaction. So yes, get help, you're not over reacting.

Edit: Sorry for DDC crashing, just saw the thread on the main page and didn't realize which forum it was in... oops!

#9 of 15 Old 11-25-2011, 07:02 PM

Absolutely you're doing the right thing. (And if you don't end up going for whatever reason, keep an eye on yourself for fever... that would mean the infection has gotten worse and MUST be treated ASAP - I would then go right away.)

Let us know how you are doing when you get a chance...

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#10 of 15 Old 11-26-2011, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

I still hate the fact I had to go to an ER. If I was at home..I'd have a dozen urgent cares to choose from..around here. There's one hospital about 15 minutes away and then next nearest one is an hour and a half away. I feel 'silly' almost for taking up an ER doctor's time (even though they weren't busy..I also used to work at said hospital lol)..but Monday just seemed SO FAR AWAY with no relief. 

I was doing hydrogen peroxide rinses, using orajel, ice packs..the works and NOTHING was dulling the pain. If my labor pain is more painful than this I will be shocked! lmbo. 

Anyway, the doctor comes in..we start talking about my pain..etc. And I told him I felt foolish coming to an ER for dental pain and that the only reason I was here is because I'm pregnant and in serious dental pain..and he said..you're pregnant? Yes doc..34 weeks. He says oh dear! Please don't go into labor tonight. Haha. I said trust me I really don't want to either! 

He said he was going to give me a shot for the pain. I HATE needles, I absolutely without a doubt hate them more than anything in this world..so I asked if it was possible to get an oral dose instead. He also told me the shot would have been in my butt! I said "But doctor..we just met" ahaha I'm funny..ya know. (: 

Anyway, I finally got some decent sleep last night. He prescribed percocet (I know..they had me take a whole one last night and it nearly made me sick) and cleocin for the antibiotic. Need to go get them filled today..he did send me home with some percs though. I woke up around 145 this morning in pain again and took HALF of one. I have my fingers crossed I'll only need like half of one for the day and then take either a half or whole one before bedtime so I can sleep. 

Sorry for the essay. It is just absolutely incredible that something so SMALL can be so insanely PAINFUL! I've had abscesses before but these are just totally unrelenting. 

#11 of 15 Old 11-26-2011, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I'm so happy you got some relief!!  Feel better!!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#12 of 15 Old 11-26-2011, 04:44 PM

i'm happy you were able to get some help, kaitlyn- it sounds like you were feeling simply miserable.  you're still planning to see your dentist on monday, yes?

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#13 of 15 Old 11-26-2011, 05:29 PM

OMG tooth pain is, for me, way worse than labor pain! I've been there....within hours of my last DD's birth, my gum and teeth were excruciating. They don't really know why...they said it was a combo of hormones and some moderate gum disease. Holy hell....it was awful so I'm glad you are getting relief! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#14 of 15 Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

I WAS absolutely miserable..yesterday I hardly ate a thing because it was THAT painful and NO sleep. Incredible..the amount of pain teeth/gums can cause. I'm hoping labor pains are about the same or less than what I was experiencing the last 24-36 hours! I cried because it hurt to eat..that's how bad it was getting. 

I'm rescheduling my dentist appointment from Monday to..I think Friday? When I'm done taking the course of antibiotics, but I'll be calling on Monday morning to see what they advise. 

The doctor did tell me because of hormones and gingivitis (due to hormones) I was a lot worse off..

Knock on wood..I'm feeling pretty good considering. I've been eating today..my appetite is a bit weak and I'm a wee bit concerned about one of the side effects of this antibiotic so I'll be calling my midwife on Monday if it isn't any better. I haven't taken any percocet since 2 am this morning and I don't have any intentions of taking any tonight. *fingers crossed* I didn't get the script filled since  the pharmacies (a whole two of them) around here either a) won't fill the script for me since I was paying cash and I don't have a pharmacy..no really..that's what she told me..even though I had a prescription from the doctor who works right down the road, and an ID or b) they don't carry any in stock. My fingers are crossed that I won't need to get it filled now and I still have some that the hospital gave me. 

#15 of 15 Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn811 View Post

I'm hoping labor pains are about the same or less than what I was experiencing the last 24-36 hours! I cried because it hurt to eat..that's how bad it was getting. 

Glad you are on the mend Kaitlyn... OT, but your comment made me remember a passage from La Leche League's "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" about labour (which I found very comforting, as mentally I'd been comparing potential labour pain to pain from illness/injury)... 

"Natural contractions always stop with your ability to cope because its your own unmedicated muscles that are doing the work. You get a break from every surge of work. And you relax from each surge almost instantly, just as you do at the gym. It's very different from injury-based pain. Labour is an effort-based pain and nothing more."

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page