Who's still working out? How do you feel? What are you doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I recently stopped my power walks and switched to swimming because my back and knees were not happy campers (and the whole "having to pee every two blocks" thing was getting annoying).  I am LOVING the swimming pool and feel like I can get a much better whole body workout than I did while walking.

Anybody else still working out?  What are you doing and how are you feeling these days??

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#2 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yep, still working out here! I just went for a nearly 3 mile run about 2 days ago and spent an hour in the pool today. I am just keeping  a mix of swimming, elliptical, running, and walking. I have big plans for 2012 including a marathon, so my goal is to just keep moving. I can't do long runs anymore, but I do what I can.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#3 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Still working out as much as I can, it's been about 4x/week the past few weeks, things keep coming up.

I am alternating walking with videos, although walking is getting harder to do both physically (it makes me cramp up like nothing else) and with timing, now with the time change, i have to either walk in the dark or on the treadmill, so i have been walking less.

I have several prenatal videos that I do, and occasionally will do a regular non-prenatal video, making sure to pay attention to my heart rate and fatigue level, take lots of breaks, and modify the core work.

My arms actually look fantastic, better than they did pre-pregnancy!  This is the first time I have ever done more than walk or swim during a pregnancy and it feels really awesome to be doing weights and squats and lunges and I know that it will help me bounce back even faster after the birth :)

#4 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 05:09 PM

wow, erika, you rock!  third trimester running?  you go!

i still workout religiously- it's one of the few things that i don't compromise on.  it's part of that whole "taking care of myself" excuse i get to pull when i'm pregnant- the rest of the time, i feel like everyone else's needs come first.  but i gotta exercise these days.  exercise really helped me through labor last time.  i walked the baby out.  :)

if i'm up early enough in the morning, i strap on weights and go hiking for a few miles.  usually, though, i'm up too late working the night before, so i end up on the treadmill for a few hours at night.  i crank up the incline and the speed and try to keep up.

i'm really tired these days.  i know i'm short on sleep, much shorter than i have been with any other pregnancy, and i feel like it's affecting my endurance.  but i still feel strong, so that's good.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#5 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 PM

well I took the last week off because we were traveling but I'm aiming for 3-4 days of exercise...mix of NIA classes, walking and prenatal yoga via DVD. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#6 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Here.  I'm still doing Zumba, but modifying the jumping actions.  Sometimes I hop on the treadmill or  in the pool.

Since my gym time is my only non-Mommy time I *always* go.  In fact, once I put my kids in daycare and then marched my ass down to the showers and spent the entire hour showering, sitting and drying my hair.  And I felt not one ounce of guilt...

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#7 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 05:21 PM

I forgot to include how I feel: TIRED. Seriously exhausted. Working out is getting harder and harder and harder to do. I used to be able to go for 90 minutes on the elliptical and now I can really only pull off 30 at a time. I would also do 90 minute runs, but now going for 30-45 minutes wipes me out. Oh, and running is starting to make my pelvis hurt so much that I am pretty sure it is about to be packed up. And yet, on weeks that I don't do any exercise (I cut way back due to more weight loss just recently) I feel that my stress level is much higher, so I know I need to keep going.

I was thinking about going to the YMCA tomorrow to try out some of the equipment they have. It is getting cold here and running outside, while fun, is a bit chilling.... and I really don't want to risk slipping on the ice that I know we will have here any day now :) I was also looking at my arms and realizing that they could use a bit of attention, so I want to try out the different weight machines.

I really, really, really want to do the Warrior Dash with my husband this year and so I figure that is motivation to step outside the running box and get myself fit in other ways so that I can really kick some butt on those obstacles :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#8 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 05:26 PM

At nearly 32 weeks, I am doing prenatal yoga twice a week and vinyasa yoga once a week.  I teach all three classes, so I don't spend every moment of each class on the mat, but I get a good workout each time.  The vinyasa leaves me a bit sore the next day, but I feel great doing it.  I try to walk (not powerwalk, more or less purposefully stroll on the beach in the soft sand for an hour), an additional once or twice a week, but that doesn't always happen. Swimming sounds wonderful...

Erika, I LOVE that you are still running!  I never saw myself as giving up running ever, but somehow it slipped away during this pregnancy :-(

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#9 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 05:42 PM

I'm tired too, i will be 35 weeks tomorrow and definitely slowing down.  But I definitely will try and keep it up at least every other day, as conditions allow (right now I'm laid up with a hugely painful hemorrhoid :(  but I actually did some pilates leg boxes and lifts in bed, lol)

#10 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Erika - I can't imagine how you're still running.  I was training for a half when I found out I was pregnant, and literally overnight I had to stop because I was so short of breath all the time. 

Angela - Your post made me laugh!  I was actually excited that the Y has childcare starting at 6 weeks of age, because I KNOW that's the only *me* time I'm going to get, so you'd better believe I'm going to milk it!  I'm not much for long-term childcare, but this kid better get used to being dropped off at the gym's center every day (if only so I can shower and blow dry my hair, haha)!!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#11 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

Erika - I can't imagine how you're still running.  I was training for a half when I found out I was pregnant, and literally overnight I had to stop because I was so short of breath all the time. 

You know how? VERY SLOWLY! ROTFLMAO.gif

I quit at different points. In the beginning my morning sickness was too horrible and then I did running again starting around week 15-20 or so and then my pelvis was always so sore that I quit again for about 5 weeks and focused on swimming and have been running again since that point. It is hard though, this is my 4th kid and my stomach muscles don't help me hold much in or give me much support at this point.

It is for sure a balancing act of challenging myself while not pushing too hard. Just a few years ago I was completely a couch potato (mostly bogged down with studying for school) with horrible joints and weighed close to double what I currently do (even at 32 weeks pregnant) and now that I have been really active and remembering this side of my person, I don't dare want it to slip away and fall back into my old habits again. So, I am trying to keep the balance of staying active and healthy without pushing my body harder than I should. Whenever I do, I spend all night awake with contractions just to remind me that sometimes I need to back off on myself a bit.

#12 of 44 Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 PM

I walk. That's about it. LMBO. Between six classes and working part time (I don't have a desk job..) that's all I have time for. I try walking every day though I've gotten pretty slooooow. I'm pretty exhausted. 

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#13 of 44 Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 AM

I'm still biking to and from work-- so about 8 miles a day, with some hills in each direction.  My pace has actually stayed pretty consistent since early pregnancy, though hills FEEL much harder now.  Also still taking long walks with my 2 year old, though I'm carrying him in the Ergo less and making him walk himself more.

Last pregnancy, I stopped exercising more or less entirely at 32 weeks, and that is exactly the point at which I started to feel super crappy all the time.  So I'm excited to still be going at 33 weeks this time and hoping it's going to help me continue to feel somewhat human as we get into the home stretch here.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#14 of 44 Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Im 32 weeks and the tiredness is really hitting me. Im gladdened to see other people are feeling the same thing, because i dont remember feeling like this in previous pregnancies (i think ive just completely forgotten) Ive been in the habit of walking 3-4 miles at least 4 times a week, usually to take my kid to school. I just cant do that anymore, and take public transport when i can.  I cant even do a walk around the block without having to have a few rests here and there. I just cant seem to get my body to pull me through it. My legs are definitely bigger and sort of chunk along. Im not getting any pain, but definitely get, what i think are braxton hicks (hardening of the uterus) when i pull  my stroller up  several flights of subway steps.

Today i planned a long walk, but all i wanted to do was go home and sleep.

Lately i havent been sleeping too well, (that U2 song ''ím wide awake! im wide awake, ....im not sleeping....'guitar solo...) just keeps going through my head i the middle of the night.

Last night however, i slept well. Still exhausted today though. 

Is it the progesterone or something? Does it go up dramatically at this stage of pregnancy? Someone said their husband ate some of their placenta, and felt like he was drugged. 

Anyway, i would like to keep the weight down, but...hey.

I will definitely try and keep up the walking, but why is it so hard??

Oh, and another thing, i will moving to an apartment with a 3 story walk up. The timing couldnt be better (scarcastic) in that i will be about 33/34 weeks then.

Im trying to look on the bright side, think of all the exercise ill be getting!!!!  Ill probably have to take it reeaally slowly, and take about 20 mins to climb the stairs, taking a long rest between each flight.  I hope this isnt actually dangerous.....

Does anyone know why its so hard to exercise at this stage of pregnancy?

#15 of 44 Old 11-28-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Does anyone know why its so hard to exercise at this stage of pregnancy?

Ummm... Other than the weight gain, sore joints, sleep deprivation, wiggly baby, BH's, incontinence, pelvic pressure, shortness of breath, swollen ankles, and squished lungs?  No idea.  winky.gif

writinglove likes this.

#16 of 44 Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 PM

I've had to slow down recently. No more jogging with DS in the stroller, just walking about three miles 3x per week. And yoga every day. And a swim once a week. But I must go SLOW or I feel terrible and get a bout of BH. Glad to read that other mamas are still sweatin' :)

#17 of 44 Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 PM

I'm walking the dog up and down Seattle's steep hills at least three times a week, doing my transverse abdominal exercises when I remember, and squatting/kegeling as much as I can. I'm hoping to make it to a few more prenatal yoga classes before I deliver, but lately I have been using the time to sleep in (Saturday morning) rather than get up and go. I'm looking forward to doing more rigorous exercise after the LO comes.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#18 of 44 Old 11-28-2011, 04:12 PM

Just walking and yoga over here. I'm missing some of the physicality of my yoga practice these days, and jogging... but honestly if there has to be a time of year when I don't jog, the cold November rain, the darkness of December and the inevitable snow in January are probably good things to skip ;) I wish I was a swimmer, but our public pool is just the NASTIEST place and this time of year there are so many colds/flus going around... (Add to that, there are signs requesting that people not SHAVE in the POOL for example, no doubt because it happened often enough to justify a sign!)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#19 of 44 Old 11-28-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post

(Add to that, there are signs requesting that people not SHAVE in the POOL for example, no doubt because it happened often enough to justify a sign!)

yikes2.gif

#20 of 44 Old 11-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:

(Add to that, there are signs requesting that people not SHAVE in the POOL for example, no doubt because it happened often enough to justify a sign!)

Our YMCA has a sign requesting people to not shave in the sauna, so I am assuming that it has been an issue in the past. I cannot imagine shaving in a swimming pool.... yuck!

#21 of 44 Old 11-28-2011, 07:45 PM

nastiness aside, wouldn't it be plain uncomfortable to shave in a swimming pool, and a public pool at that?  i can feel my eyes burning just at the thought of all that chlorine, and i can't imagine the pain from shaving in that water.  wouldn't it really sting?

yuck!  and ouch!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#22 of 44 Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 PM

I'm walking a couple of miles a couple of times a week, doing water aerobics once a week and doing a weekly prenatal yoga class.  I quit doing zumba and running early in the pregnancy and am so impressed by people who keep them up throughout!

Healthcare is a human right!
#23 of 44 Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 PM

At the gym 3x a week. Walking and doing a bit of swimming. I go for a walk at lunch every day too, my lower back is KILLING me so I'm trying to keep moving and stay strong. But it's definitely getting tougher....which is funny because with my last pregnancy I was on the treadmill 5 hours before DD's birth. I'm only 33 weeks and really struggling this time, but forcing myself to do it so I stay strong. My last birth was so awesome because I was super strong, that's my goal this time too. 

I'm super impressed with all of you mamas! It's easy to give up, hard to stay committed to health. Keep it up!

#24 of 44 Old 11-29-2011, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

Ummm... Other than the weight gain, sore joints, sleep deprivation, wiggly baby, BH's, incontinence, pelvic pressure, shortness of breath, swollen ankles, and squished lungs?  No idea.  winky.gif

Oh, squished lungs! That would explain the getting out of breath easily.

Yep, had the displeasure of stretched pelvic ligaments this morning.

All the other stuff aside, i wondered if the weight gain is the main issue.  I mean, i am overweight now, perhaps even obese (175lbs) I dont consider myself obese per se, because i am pregnant, but....my body still has to carry that weight around. I wonder how much this aversion to exercise is brought on simply by being overweight in pregnancy, and the discomforts that brings, or whether there is a hormonal reason too, like increased progesterone.  How about the increased blood volume? Also, i cant use my stomach muscles anymore very efficiently, so  that doesnt help.

#25 of 44 Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, the extra weight is definitely a factor!  As soon as I hit the 20 lb. mark I started to feel that my knees were not happy campers, my back is sore all the time, and I'm constantly short of breath.  I feel as if I've strapped on my SCUBA tank permanently; the pressure on my joints is NOT fun... It'll be nice to lose this weight and feel light again!  This may sound weird, but I'm actually looking forward to the challenge of losing the weight!

#26 of 44 Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Just walking and yoga over here. I'm missing some of the physicality of my yoga practice these days, and jogging... but honestly if there has to be a time of year when I don't jog, the cold November rain, the darkness of December and the inevitable snow in January are probably good things to skip ;) I wish I was a swimmer, but our public pool is just the NASTIEST place and this time of year there are so many colds/flus going around... (Add to that, there are signs requesting that people not SHAVE in the POOL for example, no doubt because it happened often enough to justify a sign!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwifeErika View Post

Our YMCA has a sign requesting people to not shave in the sauna, so I am assuming that it has been an issue in the past. I cannot imagine shaving in a swimming pool.... yuck!

So, ummmm...Why would a person want to shave in public? Maybe I am overly private, but I like to groom in the privacy of my own home...and in a CLEAN environment! I find this slightly disturbing, but to each their own! On a related note, the therapeutic whirlpool at our gym has a sign that says something like, "Please wear appropriate attire and do not add soap to therapy tub"....Are their nakey soldiers taking bubble baths in there?!?!

#27 of 44 Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM

I'm still going to the gym 4x a week.  Two of the days I go to a spin class, the other 2 I go to zumba.  I was doing a couple of miles on the treadmill after the classes but I just don't have enough energy to double up like that anymore!  I still have to come home and homeschool, care for 3 kids and clean my home so I can't use up all my energy at the gym.  Instead I have been sitting in the lobby for 45 minutes after my class, sometimes with a juice spritzer, knitting while my kids stay in the daycare thumb.gif

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#28 of 44 Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM

Wow all of you guys are amazing! I wish I was biking 8 miles a day. 

I crapped out around 27 weeks with my yoga because it became too painful and made me feel like poo. I'm still in good shape and active but no real exercise time. I can't believe some of you are running. I try to sprint race my daughter everyday and she always wins -- and I'm REALLY trying to win haha. It's close to impossible for me to move fast in anyway :P

#29 of 44 Old 11-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Here's a pat on the back for those of you who can still exercise like that!  I wish I could, I miss it.  Today (at 35 weeks) I made it about a half mile all together and felt afterwards like I used to when I would take an hour + long hike... I had to sit and rest with a snack lol!  I still do some floor exercises because I can rest in between when I need to.  Boy do I feel like an overweight geriatric lately.  shy.gif

#30 of 44 Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 PM

Looks like I might have to cut out the daily long walks... yesterday after I got in and took off my shoes my feet were SO swollen! There were even dents where my shoes were and it took most of the night for them to calm down... I did a shorter walk just with the dogs and while it was nice, and my feet didn't swell, it didn't do much for my crampy legs like my long walk does :(

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page