Anyone "preparing" for GBS screen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll have this test done at my next ob appt in 10 days. I think the whole GBS thing is highly overblown (except for those who are actually at high risk for infection) but since I'll be delivering in a hospital, which is essentially my only choice in this area, if I don't have the screen they'll give me the antibiotics anyways. I know there are some things to do to prepare and I'm going to do some of them...just wondering if anyone else is preparing for this in any special way?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 PM

I'm taking extra probiotics and trying to cut down on extra sugars in my diet, but nothing too extreme. I'm not even sure if my midwives would do the antibiotics during labour anyways (which they do AT HOME if that is your choice, how nice is that...) At my last appointment they said we'd get into the debate if we absolutely had to, and that there was a lot of information to consider... but first, getting the test out of the way (on Monday!)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#3 of 25 Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 PM

You know, I wonder how specific the hospital is over this information.  For some reason, my hospital never got my pre-admission paperwork - It also never arrived during my stay.  They never once questioned anything and never made me take antibiotics.

The only thing they did was *strongly request* I take an HIV test so they would know if added precautions were needed for their staff as they came to check my tear.  I told them I was negative, but they still requested I give blood.  No sweat off my back.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 25 Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM

OK, I'm dense...I interpreted what you were asking as if people were doing anything to prepare for the physical test itself.  Like if people were washing their butts with a certain type of soap or something.  LOL.  I need to wake up more.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 25 Old 12-03-2011, 02:14 AM

My midwife said a couple of nights of raw garlic followed by 10 days of Gynatren vaginal probiotics help get rid of Group B. I don't have it but that is what she said she would have recommended. They also apparently do a wash (aka douche) that helps get rid of it too. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#6 of 25 Old 12-03-2011, 07:43 PM

(I'm planning a home birth, so this might not be an option for hospital births.)

After talking about it with my midwife, I decided to skip the screening for GBS and use chlorhexadine/hibiclens rinse during labor. I was GBS positive last pregnancy, and I had abx, but I'd like to avoid that this time since I'm not a fan of abx and I'm allergic to penicillin. Screening for GBS does not necessarily determine if you will be GBS positive when you actually go into labor. Hibiclens is the preferred method of dealing with GBS in Europe, from my understanding, and it is as good as abx at preventing infection in the newborn, plus if your newborn needs abx later, they are less likely to be resistant to the bacteria. I figure, if I just use the hibiclens rinse (every 6 hours during labor) then I should be OK. 

Here's an article with some info:

http://www.drmomma.org/2009/09/chlorhexidine-hibiclens-protocol-for.html

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#7 of 25 Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Why would one person be high risk for infection over another? I thought it was naturally occurring in everyone..? I'm going in two weeks to be tested. I don't really see any reason not to be tested in just your regular state so that you get an accurate reading from your body. I duno~ 

#8 of 25 Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 PM

For starters, just because you're positive when tested, doesn't mean you will be in labour (& vice versa) & getting a positive, especially if you're birthing in the hospital, means a huge amount of pressure to get antibiotics in labour, something which may decrease GBS in babies, but also increases other problems so that the overall rate of illness/death is unchanged, not to mention contributing to the ever increasing dangers of antibiotic resistance. So, it's better to just not test positive if you can avoid it.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#9 of 25 Old 12-06-2011, 05:45 AM

I know GBS levels change all the time but I didn't know that treating it caused any problems.. although I know that it's not known what causes late cases of it so treatment in that instance isn't helpful anyway. It's just such a scary outcome, I'm all for getting tested and taking antibiotics (which I NEVER take) if I need to. Again, I've never tested positive or had to deal with treatment in labor so I duno~

#10 of 25 Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Did my GBS swab yesterday... now to obsessively check my lab results online for the next couple of days! I'm nervous :(

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#11 of 25 Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 AM

I did mine yesterday as well...it didn't seem like a big deal? 

belly.gif Nova born on 12/15/11 
belly.gifCapri expected 1/26/14

#12 of 25 Old 12-07-2011, 09:05 AM

I tested positive for GBS so now they tell me I HAVE to have an IV and I HAVE to have penicillin...not happy about being told I HAVE to do something...and an IV just freaks me out as I feel trapped in one spot whenever I get one...I read the article posted here and hope maybe, yet again, I can talk (or argue, as I often have to repeat myself) about other options...although I keep saying to DH that I don't want to use the same clinic if we have another baby...in fact, I'd rather stay home and use a midwife...

#13 of 25 Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

My midwife gave me an article on GBS (from Mothering, actually)... I found it online here: http://mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/treating-group-b-strep

Only 1 in 200 babies whose mothers test positive will contract GBS, and mostly will be if the mother has one or more of these conditions:

· previous baby with GBS disease
· urinary tract infection due to GBS
· GBS carriage late in pregnancy
· fever during labor
· rupture of membranes 18 hours or more before delivery
· labor or rupture of membranes before 37 weeks

Can you change your mind about where to birth?  I hope this article gives you some ammo!!  Good luck!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#14 of 25 Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Thank you for the article!

They are concerned because I've had a UTI during this pregnancy (but also in the past...I am prone to them) and I also am running what they called a low grade fever (99.2 F). 

Either way, I've been researching my options and printing out articles to discuss. I'm just so frustrated because I have had one "issue" after another and yet I just don't want to jump into any kind of "treatment" without being educated about it first, but the staff at my clinic take my questions to mean that I am questioning their ability to do their jobs and get defensive rather than accepting my questions as valid concerns. It's my body and my baby and I just don't feel comfortable nodding my head and letting them do whatever they want without an explanation. At this point, I don't think going somewhere else to give birth is an option...but at least maybe my experiences can help others in the area or even help me choose medical care better in the future...

My biggest concern that I want to discuss with my doctor is the side effects of treating with penicillin...I've been reading that it can open up doorways for antibiotic-resistant bacteria to cause havoc (nevermind the fact that it can't 100% protect my baby from being infected with GBS anyway) and that it can also cause more minor issues, like thrush...so I also want to know if my baby would benefit from probiotics...

#15 of 25 Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 AM

I hope your next appointment goes well... I'm getting a bit anxious about my test results! Could you ask your doctor to send another test to see which antibiotics kill the strain of GBS you have, if you MUST go the antibiotics route? That way at least you'd know if penicillin was the right choice, and that your GBS was not resistant to it.

#16 of 25 Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! I'm thinking of doing the hibiclens before the test and then during labor too (assuming the test is negative and they don't make me get the abx).

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'lee View Post

(I'm planning a home birth, so this might not be an option for hospital births.)

After talking about it with my midwife, I decided to skip the screening for GBS and use chlorhexadine/hibiclens rinse during labor. I was GBS positive last pregnancy, and I had abx, but I'd like to avoid that this time since I'm not a fan of abx and I'm allergic to penicillin. Screening for GBS does not necessarily determine if you will be GBS positive when you actually go into labor. Hibiclens is the preferred method of dealing with GBS in Europe, from my understanding, and it is as good as abx at preventing infection in the newborn, plus if your newborn needs abx later, they are less likely to be resistant to the bacteria. I figure, if I just use the hibiclens rinse (every 6 hours during labor) then I should be OK. 

Here's an article with some info:

http://www.drmomma.org/2009/09/chlorhexidine-hibiclens-protocol-for.html

#17 of 25 Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

THis is the main reason I'd prefer to not test positive. I don't want to be stuck with an IV during labor (I know you can get a hep-lock, sometimes) but its one less thing to be forced to advocate about while I'm in labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabob View Post

I tested positive for GBS so now they tell me I HAVE to have an IV and I HAVE to have penicillin...not happy about being told I HAVE to do something...and an IV just freaks me out as I feel trapped in one spot whenever I get one...I read the article posted here and hope maybe, yet again, I can talk (or argue, as I often have to repeat myself) about other options...although I keep saying to DH that I don't want to use the same clinic if we have another baby...in fact, I'd rather stay home and use a midwife...

#18 of 25 Old 12-07-2011, 12:24 PM

I was tested around 27 weeks when I had pre-term labor issues and it came back positive. My OB retested me at 35 weeks and it came back negative. A few weeks before the re-test, I took extra probiotics, garlic pills, echinacea, astragalus, C, and inserted garlic vaginally a few times. I plan to keep doing most of that (except echinacea, which I was told not to do more than 2 weeks) until labor to keep the gbs away. 

I am planning a homebirth and my midwife said if I was still gbs positive she may suggest a hibiclens wash during labor depending on the circumstances (if water broken, etc).  Because I have concurrent care through an OB, I also discussed it with my OB and told her even if I was still positive (and ended up in the hospital) I would decline the antibiotics. She said that was fine, but the pediatrician would probably just want to test the baby's blood after birth. Most peds I have talked to have said they would be fine just having me closely monitor the baby for infection signs post-birth, but the hospital protocol is to test the baby's blood if you decline the antibiotics (I'm sure this varies by hospital). 

The reason I would decline antiobiotics is because my daughter had a lot of immune issues and food intolerances after her birth (c-section) and I want this baby to have the best possible start to health. Antiobitics kill the good gut bacteria as well as the bad and that contributes to immune issues, food intolerances, etc. Therefore, I will only take antibiotics (or give my child antibiotics) if they are truly necessary, and not merely as a precautionary measure (especially since there is a test/monitoring that can be done post-birth to check for infection).

#19 of 25 Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Frick. Of course the stupid thing comes back positive... AND I'm allergic to penicillin and the 'next in line' antibiotic of choice. Anyone have any good information I can read on the hibiclens rinse thing? Wishing I'd stuck some garlic up there at the moment :(

#20 of 25 Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 PM

Hibiclens protocol for labour http://www.drmomma.org/2009/09/chlorhexidine-hibiclens-protocol-for.html

Great summary about GBS http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbs.html

Personally, if I tested positive, I'd say I wanted a re-test in a week, then do a couple hibiclens washes, stick some garlic up myself overnight & take probiotics every day.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#21 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

oh blah. did the hibiclens rinse this morning and then they didn't do the test. said they'd wait until next week. oh well. that's what i get for being prepared shrug.gif

#22 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 12:52 PM

Ladies, is it typical where you are to do both a vag and rectal swab?

I felt like that was 'unfair' (although I totally understand the potential for transmission) because there wasn't much I could do to help out "back there" aside from taking probiotics and reducing dietary sugar as much as possible. 

#23 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 12:58 PM

The OB who did my first swab did vaginal and rectal (and was quite aggressive about it) and I failed it. When my regular OB redid the test recently, she only did vaginal (and I passed). I understand protocol may be to do both, but I think the first OB was much too aggressive with it. I understand the potential for transmission as well, but I would think a light rectal swab would be enough.

#24 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 01:07 PM

I actually used hibiclens rectally before the test (same logic... baby isn't coming out of my butt even though it does feel that way during pushing!) but I still came back +.  I also did femdophilous, vitamin C, and vitamin D.  I didn't do the garlic, mostly bc I forgot, but it didn't work for me last time.

I will get the abx if I have time, just so they don't pressure me to test/watch the baby.  I know it's not evidence based but it's also not the hill I want to die on.  The bag only takes 20 minutes and then they cap off the IV. I will keep taking the probiotics through labor and after the birth to help with the flora, and I should only need 2 doses (might get less) because I have had fast labors in the past.

#25 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

For my previous pregnancy, they did a vaginal and rectal but it was a light swab, only external. I'm not sure what they'll do at my current practice so we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post

Ladies, is it typical where you are to do both a vag and rectal swab?

I felt like that was 'unfair' (although I totally understand the potential for transmission) because there wasn't much I could do to help out "back there" aside from taking probiotics and reducing dietary sugar as much as possible. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page