Birth Chat - December - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 12-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure if you two are the "exceptions" or not..but you give me hope regardless lol so I'm going to roll with it. I'm glad some women have births they consider "easy" and they didn't get an epidural! I'm of the mindset that if the woman has an epidural it's of course going to be easy because they can't feel a darn thing! 

I'm also of the mindset that labor is NOT an emergency, and I ask that others don't treat it like one. (Of course I say this now since I'm not in labor lmbo) but I really want to be drama free as I think it'll make labor easier. 

My coworkers (especially the ones I'm very close to) turn and ask each other "well what should we do if she goes in labor?" and my response is "whatever you do DON'T call an ambulance!" First it's really expensive and second it's not an emergency, well, as far as we all know it won't be an emergency. (: 

Oh that's a good question, for the non-home birth ladies, who drove you to the birth center/hospital? 

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#32 of 52 Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 AM

I agree with conchobhar...the pain can be intense, but it's totally do-able.  And at the end there's this amazing high and you think about how relatively "easy" it was.

My husband drove me to the hospital, but it was a leisurely 7 minute drive.  No rush.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#33 of 52 Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchobhar View Post

I know my story might be a rarity (or at the very least, get something thrown at me), but I had no pain meds and while the contractions "paralyzed" me at the time, I do remember thinking right afterwords, "that's it?"  I honestly thought I'd be in a lot more pain than I ended up being in.  But again, I may the exception.

my 3rd birth was like that.  the one i had on friday, not so much.  every birth is different i guess!

#34 of 52 Old 12-19-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn811 View Post

Oh that's a good question, for the non-home birth ladies, who drove you to the birth center/hospital? 

My DH.  But I know your situation is different.  I'd recommend someone that you absolutely trust to be there, no matter the time, weather, how they're feeling, etc.  And I'd recommend making a Plan A, B, and C, just in case. 

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#35 of 52 Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 AM

Ok, I'm officially full term! I saw my doctor today and she says she's confident I'll be pregnant at least one more week. That's great news to me! At least one more week to relax, have Christmas, get things in order. She also asked if I'd like to schedule an induction so we could get the tax break! I was kind of surprised & annoyed by that. My own predictions change every day, but today I'm feeling like he'll be born Jan. 9 (just a complete guess) :P

My best friend & my babysitter will both be out of town from Christmas until Jan 5 so I need to line up a few more back up sitters for my kids just in case --- I'm having a little trouble thinking of people to ask who won't be wasted on New Years/ hungover on the 1st haha. 

I've never had a painless birth. My first was very painful, I actually thought people had down-played how painful it would be. That's just me though I guess. 

#36 of 52 Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

Or you on top leaning slightly back on your hands to accommodate the hanging belly.  Pillows are your friend, like cedarwoman said.  

OK, related question... I've been having orgasms in my sleep almost every night for the past two weeks (although during the day my sex drive is zip, nil, nothing).  What gives?  If this is my body's way of preparing for labor, I want to be pregnant forever!!  :)  (Just kidding, baby...)

yep! I had one last night and the night before that. Apparently happens to me the last week of pregnancy every time! Energy is moving down there....oh I'm also super sweaty...almost like hot flashes. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#37 of 52 Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Kaitlyn, remember you decide how much pain you actually feel. Mind over matter. Grab yourself some hypnosis tracks on Itunes. It really helps a lot. Kelly Howell has some good ones. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#38 of 52 Old 12-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn811 View Post

I'm not sure if you two are the "exceptions" or not..but you give me hope regardless lol so I'm going to roll with it. I'm glad some women have births they consider "easy" and they didn't get an epidural! I'm of the mindset that if the woman has an epidural it's of course going to be easy because they can't feel a darn thing! 

I'm also of the mindset that labor is NOT an emergency, and I ask that others don't treat it like one. (Of course I say this now since I'm not in labor lmbo) but I really want to be drama free as I think it'll make labor easier. 

My coworkers (especially the ones I'm very close to) turn and ask each other "well what should we do if she goes in labor?" and my response is "whatever you do DON'T call an ambulance!" First it's really expensive and second it's not an emergency, well, as far as we all know it won't be an emergency. (: 

I had an epidural for about an hour during labor with my first.  I was NOT numb...I still felt contractions.  I was experiencing horrid back labor though, and the epidural allowed me to relax and focus.  Looking back and realizing how close I was to the actual end of labor, I probably could have held out...

But honestly, don't be afraid if you feel the need to get an epidural.  I am not planning on it for this one, but I haven't thrown the idea out the window.

I was incredibly nervous/scared about delivering my first son.  Nothing I could do/read/think about helped to calm me. It seemed every where I turned stress was waiting!!

Once I actually went into labor and was at the hospital, I was focused.  Once I was there everything became so hectic (his heart rate was dropping), that I forgot all about my fears and concentrated on keeping my little man healthy and calm until he was ready to come out.

this time around... I am 34 weeks Wednesday and I am finding the anxiety is starting to creep back in.  this pregnancy has been sooo different from my last one that it makes me wonder how different labor will be.  And, since I have always been a wonderer/worrier...anxieties about birth are setting in again.

I have no idea why all of a sudden I have hit the "Oh my god, this kid is going to have to come out sometime soon!" thoughts.

Then, I have anxieties about bringing little man home.

My 4 year old son, who has been excited nearly this whole pregnancy, has now decided he wants to be an only child and I am seeing a totally different side of him.  Even my parents have commented on how hard they think he is going to take having the new baby around.  We talk to him about it all the time and explain how important he is to us and how much we love him, but it doesn't seem to change his opinions.

Then, yesterday I read in the paper about a 3 week old baby that suddenly died (SIDS I am guessing) not too far from here...and a whole new set of anxieties have cropped up.

Oh, the joys of being a mommy!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#39 of 52 Old 12-21-2011, 02:00 AM

We met with one of the midwives at the birthing house this morning, and I'm cleared for a home birth! Baby is head down, active, and I will be full term on xmas day. The midwife said that even if baby came in the next few days, it's close enough to full term that we can call them. smile.gif

Now to get everything ready. The midwives are bringing almost everything needed for the birth, but I still need to do things like organize the baby's closet.

And it's snowing like crazy here. Makes me glad we won't need to drive out when I'm in labor.

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

#40 of 52 Old 12-27-2011, 07:59 AM

we hosted family yesterday for christmas, and now that it's over, i feel like i'm going to pass out.  i'm so freaking tired.  it was a great holiday, it really was.  i'm just totally spent, and i feel like i could sleep from now till next friday.  the kids are all busy with their new books and toys.  maybe i could lay down here on the sofa with them and just close my eyes for a few minutes.  sleeping.gif

i'm eager to know who had a baby over the weekend.  surely someone must have!

i hope everyone had a great holiday!  next stop- new years and *january*!!!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#41 of 52 Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom View Post

we hosted family yesterday for christmas, and now that it's over, i feel like i'm going to pass out.  i'm so freaking tired.  it was a great holiday, it really was.  i'm just totally spent, and i feel like i could sleep from now till next friday.  the kids are all busy with their new books and toys.  maybe i could lay down here on the sofa with them and just close my eyes for a few minutes.  sleeping.gif

I'm with you!  We hosted as well and I did so much lifting and cleaning (and wrapping and walking...) the night before, the only thing I could do when family finally arrived on Christmas was sit in a chair with my feet up!  LOL.  I was even off work yesterday and still didn't feel like I caught up on sleep and relaxing (mostly because DD decided she HAD to play with her new toys at 6AM, more friends from out of town came over, and then we had to go to DH's dad's house for 2nd Christmas dinner).

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#42 of 52 Old 12-27-2011, 11:07 PM

We had a nice quiet Christmas, but it was still exhausting. 

I wish I could shake this pregnancy irritation. I'm such a grump I'm surprised my family hasn't shoved me in a snow bank. Too much stress, lack of sleep, hormones combined with a desperate need to have things tidy & peaceful and not even remotely close to either of those.

It doesn't help I'm finally admitting to myself just how terrified I am of another cesarean. I'm doing everything I can think of to have an amazing last birth, but the fear is still there.  Trying to use the Hypnobabies fear release to deal with it

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#43 of 52 Old 12-28-2011, 06:33 PM

MWErika- how are you hanging in there?  i know your pain has been pretty intense lately, but you also lost your plug days ago, and, well, i've never lost my plug more than a few hours before labor... so i'm thinking of you!  hope you're doing well.  think baby will stay put till this weekend?

and devaskyla, you're the last one here that i would think would be fearful of birth.  seriously, woman!  you're so well-educated and experienced on the topic!  if anyone can do this, you can!  (but if you want to talk about your fears, i know we're all ears!)

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#44 of 52 Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 AM

It just occurred to me, in my bout of insomnia, that the past few days or weeks I've been waiting for signs of impending labor HOWEVER I've never previously noticed the baby drop, lost my mucus plug, or had my waters break until I was already in labor. Ha! It's been 4 years since my last pregnancy so I guess I wasn't thinking! Just a thought~ 

#45 of 52 Old 12-29-2011, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know! I was just reading this over @ dr.momma... about how the baby contributes to the start of labor...

http://www.drmomma.org/2008/01/fetal-lungs-protein-release-triggers.html

made me feel a bit silly about the things I thought I was "doing" to help things along to be honest! I'm hoping I can relax a bit about watching for labor to start. Also had a chat with mom/mil about how neither of them even *knew* they were in labor until their babies were mere short hours away from greeting the world... Feeling a bit more like "it will happen when it happens" and not "I'm 38.5 weeks and I want to put my head through a wall" (despite the insomnia ;)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#46 of 52 Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

@cedarwoman - I had been looking for this information!!!  Thank you for sharing, this is awesome!!!!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#47 of 52 Old 12-29-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Arg... so did a cervical check @ mw appt today, and it's still closed and pointed back! Baby's head is "right there" but still moveable (she could float it up out of my pelvis a little that is)... by this sort of thing I feel like labor is far away...I know it all can change quickly but was still kinda discouraging to hear :P

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#48 of 52 Old 12-29-2011, 04:37 PM

One reason why cervical checks are useless. I know of so many women who had "nothing" happening and were holding their babies within days or even hours and other women who walk around at 6+cm for weeks.

HCM, I think the problem is that I do know so much, I know everything that can go wrong (although I know how to prevent/mitigate a lot of it). And since I've had one cesarean, it's really easy for me to worry about having another. If I did, it would be necessary, I know too much now to end up with another unnecessary one, but it's still something that scares me. It took me over a year to heal from the first one and I have a spot on my back that still hurts when it's touched and it's right where dh says it looks like I have some scarring from the spinal. And even though I know it's got nothing to do with luck, I feel like my luck must be running out. Which is silly, because most women have good births, even when they have lots of kids.

I dunno, it's probably hormones and sleep deprivation. And remembering how hideous transition was with ds3.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#49 of 52 Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM

I've told my midwives that I don't want any cervical checks before or during labor.  I know they are useless and would likely only get my hopes up or discourage me.  While part of me is still quite curious...I know this little guy will come when he's ready.

#50 of 52 Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
 I know of so many women who had "nothing" happening and were holding their babies within days or even hours and other women who walk around at 6+cm for weeks.

I totally agree. I've also never dilated at all in the weeks leading up to my labors, but I've had several women tell me they were dilated a lot for weeks. I've also had two uncomplicated vaginal births so that's just the way my body handles labor~ I had a cervical check yesterday, baby is still high and posterior... I'm not too worried about it though. 

#51 of 52 Old 12-29-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Good to hear ladies, thank you... I know this is true (cervical checks being a picture of your state at that moment, not a crystal ball), another reason why, although I'll be fine with checks if the midwives really want to do them for their own information, I don't want to know how my 'progress' is. I have a hard enough time letting go of my left brain without medical information to draw me back into it!

#52 of 52 Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 AM

had my appt yesterday and this is right where I am: baby not yet engaged and cervix closed. i know i'm a full two weeks from my due date though and likely to go at least a week late so not discouraged...yet :) and actually, i sort of like having this information so when people say "that baby's going to come any day now" I can say "probably not!"  and give them more info than they probably care to hearROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post

Arg... so did a cervical check @ mw appt today, and it's still closed and pointed back! Baby's head is "right there" but still moveable (she could float it up out of my pelvis a little that is)... by this sort of thing I feel like labor is far away...I know it all can change quickly but was still kinda discouraging to hear :P

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page