Mostly braless during nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone do this/planning to?

I'm expecting to roll in at about DDD to E when my milk comes in. (I'm a bit small-framed so this is going to be fairly hilarious!)

I REALLY don't like the idea of nursing bras (they are generally ugly and the pretty ones are expensive). Are they super necessary in your experience? I have one that someone passed along just in case...did you find them necessary for comfort? In general I'm finding clothing super offensive these days, so it *could* just be pregnancy... but in my 'regular life' I typically don't wear bras if I can get away with it. Not even soft sports-bra style ones... I just like the girls to be free. 

If you've gone mostly braless, how have you kept nursing pads stuck in place (eg. when out and about... I'm not really opposed to leaking milk if I'm at home, I figure a prefold and a sweater overtop will be plenty sexy around the house ;)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 03:26 PM

uh, no.  my nursing boobs are so huge and heavy that i have to hold them walking down the stairs if I'm not wearing a bra.  I wear at least a wrap style top that gives some support to them all the time even at home, but definitely bras when I am out.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm huge normally (somewhere between I & J) & never wear a bra at home, but I wear one 24/7 until I stop leaking while nursing. I will say that I leaked for so much longer with ds3 that eventually I couldn't stand it & stopped wearing one all the time. It was a huge mess & I went through shirts like crazy, despite putting a towel under whichever breast I wasn't using.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 12-11-2011, 04:04 PM

I also hate bras but I needed them to hold nursing pads for I think the first year while I nursed dd. I leaked a lot! I bought a lot of nursing tank tops and wore those.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:37 PM

I mainly wore the nursing tank tops (cheap ones from Target) with the built in shelf bra during the day.  I always sleep bra-less and just kept some prefold diapers in bed with me for leaks.  Occasionally I woke up soaked, but found that I nursed so much at night that it wasn't that often.  I barely make it from a B cup to a C cup when nursing so I don't have experience with the discomforts of being larger.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am another one who HATES bras.  They make me feel suffocated.  But, I am big-busted and small-framed (34 DD non-pregnant and I'm about 5'1.5" tall), and the girls have nowhere to go but down (ie not at all perky over here), so I'm too embarrassed to leave the house without a bra.  My husband laughs at me because the minute I get home, the first thing that comes off is the bra, lol.

Anyway, my normal bras stopped fitting at about 20 weeks.  I bought this bra (two of them, actually):

http://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/the-bliss-nursing-bra

I had to buy a size 36 F/G, and right now at 35 weeks, the bras are already snug!!  I don't think they will fit when my milk comes in, but I'm hoping that they'll fit again after the engorgement passes.  While I'm engorged, I'm planning on going braless AND shirtless, carrying prefolds and hand towels around with me to absorb any milk that I leak.  I haven't leaked at all during the pregnancy (though I am able to express droplets of colostrum), so I'm hoping I don't leak much when my milk comes in, but really, I have no idea what will happen, so I'm just gonna play it by ear.

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
Old 12-11-2011, 09:53 PM

I never wear a bra... generally only tank tops with those shelf bra linings in them.  I don't have huge boobs, though, and this always worked fine for me.  I did get really swollen and heavy when my milk came in with my son and needed to wear a bra for comfort just when I was walking around.  And I leaked profusely and had those just-when-you-don't-want-them type of milk letdowns.  After the initial period of my milk coming in the soreness wore off.... about 2 weeks or so.... and I went right back to tank tops.  I still needed to stuff them with nursing pads for leaking.  I always leaked on the other side when my son was nursing.  I nursed him for 3 and a half years and I leaked for a full 3 of those... Sometimes I couldn't even use a pad because it would be so much.  I eventually just kept an extra diaper in my bag to shove in my shirt... (that looked glamorous for sure :)  For bed, I never wore anything.  I just tucked a prefold or two under myself.  I always ended up with milk spots on the bed but, then again, you'll probably need a waterproof mattress cover for a few different reasons if you intend on bed sharing! 

Old 12-12-2011, 09:59 AM

I'm not big-chested, so I don't know if I'm any help.  When I was at home all the time, I wouldn't wear a bra, just a nursing tanktop with nursing pads in them (I leaked a lot!).  I did have to wear them 24/7, though, because of the leaking at night.  When I went out, I wore a nursing bra that didn't have an underwire and again, nursing pads.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

Old 12-12-2011, 11:57 AM

I think it really depends on what your breasts are like, so it's hard to say.  My breasts are huge-- and soft/floppy/heavy.  If I don't wear a bra, it's not just an aesthetic problem (which I could care less about in the first few months!) but a physical problem because not wearing a supportive bra (nursing tanks do NOT cut it) causes me immense back pain.  But I've known plenty of people with firmer large breasts who said they were happy to go braless or just wear loose sports bras or nursing tanks or the like.

For my own part, I only wore nursing-specific bras til I figured out how to pop my boobs up and out of normal bras.  Maybe around 3-4 months postpartum?  Normal (but larger sized) bras were SO MUCH more comfortable for me than nursing-specific bras that I'm hoping to go just that route this time.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM

I have had large breasts since they popped in at puberty so I need the support.  In the beginning I wear a nursing bra 24/7 to just allow for easier access.  Once my body regulates and my breasts stay the same size I go back to a normal bra and just pull the breast over the top.  Also, I pretty much leak from day 1 until child is weaned...so I need a nursing pad to soak up the extra as having a wet chest doesn't feel good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post
If you've gone mostly braless, how have you kept nursing pads stuck in place (eg. when out and about... I'm not really opposed to leaking milk if I'm at home, I figure a prefold and a sweater overtop will be plenty sexy around the house ;)

One thing that you might not have considered about leaking all over your clothes is that the spoiled milk will mold if you don't wash everything in a timely fashion.  It's not uncommon to lose a couple of pieces of your baby's clothes to mold when you set them down and don't realize things are wet, but your clothes are probably a better quality and you might not want to have to throw anything away.  Just a thought.  I know you mentioned using a prefold but if you go all Sexy Amazon Woman with nothing soaking up the milk there might be a problem.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

One thing that you might not have considered about leaking all over your clothes is that the spoiled milk will mold if you don't wash everything in a timely fashion.  It's not uncommon to lose a couple of pieces of your baby's clothes to mold when you set them down and don't realize things are wet, but your clothes are probably a better quality and you might not want to have to throw anything away.  Just a thought.  I know you mentioned using a prefold but if you go all Sexy Amazon Woman with nothing soaking up the milk there might be a problem.

Ooo that is super gross. Thank you for telling me that, because I DEFINITELY would have found out the hard way! 

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 12-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Yeah, the first time it happens it's pretty gross.  Maybe this is why rich people have help?!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012

User Tag List