Fan for the crib?... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI everyone!

SO... I know that it's very good to have a fan in the baby's room, (but not pointing directly at the baby) - to create air flow and to make sure that there is no stagnant air around him/her...

I had an idea, but I want to hear some feedback before I purchase anything... I found this fan at amazon... It's for keeping electronics cool in enclosed spaces like entertainment centers... 

I was thinking of setting it up on the outside of the crib, sucking the air out.  

It got great reviews, and is supposedly really quiet.  I can add screens on the inside so no fingers can be injured.  I figured I would stick it below the bumper just above the mattress.  I could temporarily attach it to the crib without going crazy, and it seems like it would do the job that I need...

Here is the link...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NJ4J6I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2F13KK758WMXQ

If you look at the related images you can see how small it is.  

I just am trying to avoid having a box fan in the baby's room in the middle of the winter....

:) thanks for any tips or advice you may have!

wool.gif   homebirth.jpg   treehugger.gif

#2 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

I totally didn't spell check that post oooops!

#3 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM

I don't know about fans, I co-sleep & have never had a fan in the room, but crib bumpers are considered a suffocation risk & should not be used

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#4 of 6 Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

I actually have the bumpers at the top of my crib walls,  not near the mattress.  when baby is old enough to reach them, I plan on taking them off completely.  I may change my mind and take them off when baby arrives anyway, but for now I don't think there is any chance of them coming in contact with a newborn at all!  

Thanks for the warning though! :)  You think there would be some kind of warning on the packaging... Every bedding set comes with one, and aside from directions on how to attach them (directly above the mattress) there is nothing... at least on the one I bought.  I was curious to see if there would be something on it.  

I know that when you co-sleep, the parents in the bed create enough air flow just sleeping.  It's a swaddled still newborn who doesn't move around and has a tiny breath that is in the most danger of ending up in a pocket of co2.  

My own mattress is no good for co-sleeping, It has a soft pillow top, and I have a slumber nest type thing with mesh sides for the first couple of weeks, but I have heard that babies out grow those really really quickly!

#5 of 6 Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Does anyone know about the suffocation risks for moses basket liners? They are just a thin sheet that covers the side wall of the basket, not padded.

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 6 Old 12-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Put it up to your face & try breathing through it for a few minutes. That should give you some idea if it's likely to be an issue.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page