I went to my midwife today, and she's informed me that my results are positive. I'm really bummed out. I have a friend who is very much into natural remedies (amongst other things, you know, attachment parenting, natural birth, etc) and she's giving me some pointers and suggested maybe I get retested.
Any other ladies positive? Are you receiving the antibiotics they "recommend" during labor? Or are you forgoing them and accepting the risks?
Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:
I just got my positive results too, and am pretty bummed as well :(
I had a nice talk with my midwife about what that means for me - basically that she'll be less willing to have my water broken for a looooooooong time before baby comes, and that she'll be even more cautious if a fever develops. She suggested several things to me to do between now and birth (daily: 1000mg Vit C, 2000mg Vit D, echinacea, and a good probiotic supplement) and we will do the Hibiclens protocol instead of IV antibiotics. We're having a homebirth, and I don't think they do Hibiclens rinses in the hospital? The protocol is to do a vaginal rinse once every six hours during labor.
I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James!
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! We're happily planning a and intend to
I'm GBS+ too :( I'm going to be retested at 38.5 weeks if baby's still staying put... I'm not sure what will be recommended if test negative at that point.
I have decided to accept the antibiotics in the meantime. Since I'm allergic to several of them I am getting a less-frequently used one, I figure that's not such a bad thing. I am able to have the IV at home and it takes about 20 minutes to run through... the midwives are going to do their best to ensure I only receive one dose, and I'm starting now on all natural preventative measures that I can do to prevent yeast overgrowth after the antibiotic. Typically I don't take them, and I've never had an antibiotic-related yeast overgrowth (nor have I had trouble this pregnancy) so I hope my body chemistry continues to work in my favor. However, all that said, I am still not 100% sure what to do. My midwives don't do the hibiclens rinse but have said that if it's something I want to do and can do myself, they aren't going to fuss about it.
I had a hard time deciding with this one, but lately I've been experiencing some UTI symptoms and that sort of solidified things... I think if I was totally asymptomatic it would still be up in the air, and as I said if I test negative at 38.5 weeks... I might change my mind yet. The midwives are open to my changing my mind in labour as well. I think if I had to have the antibiotics in hospital I might refuse, just because the hospital here has some antibiotic-resistant infections going around and I would really worry about that since they'd probably just do the IV in the ER (it's a small-ish hospital) and send me back home. With (hopefully) just my own germs to contend with, I am feeling it's less of a risk at home.
Out of all the tests I've had (or refused) this one was one of the scarier ones for me. I was really, really upset when I found out (and mad because it was a vag-rectal test and I felt like there wasn't much I could do to make sure my rectum was clean, I mean, come on).
Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home, and yoga teacher planning a with our second, due mid-january. Trying to & & more... We like to
I took the antibiotics, more to appease the hospital than because I really believed I was at high risk. I had a full term baby, my membranes didn't rupture until 8 minutes before he was born, no fever or anything. But they get all twitchy at the hospital if you don't do it and want to observe the baby longer, which I didn't want.
I ended up not getting the 4 hours (soooo close. 3.5 hours. and 8 minutes of ROM!) and they still wanted to do a blood culture on the baby, which I allowed and it came back fine.
I found out I am GBS+ at 38 weeks. My MW gave me a protocol to clear it up, and we'll test again next week. I don't *think* baby will come before then. If I am still GBS+ after that, my MW will use IV antibiotics, didn't offer any other choice. I am really surprised and upset that I am GBS+, I *never* have candida issues so I really thought everything down there was in tip top shape. I really hope the hibiclens works. Since this thread is older, did anyone have any luck clearing it up?
Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12
Om'ing to Peace
Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog
I was GBS+ with my last LO and am GBS+ again with this one. It was detected early in pregnancy - in a urine culture. If it's in your urine as it was in mine, that means that you have a high count for the bacteria. There's nothing you can do about it - really, it's natural. They say you've got a 30% chance at any point in time of being GBS+. I accepted the antibiotics last time (hospital birth, epidural, etc. - despite all my other crunchy aspects!) :-) Everything went fine. I will accept antibiotics again and get there early so as to avoid the baby being kept longer or any additional tests being done.