Taking baby to the pediatrician - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I interviewed a pediatrician I really liked, but the only thing that bugged me was when I asked her when the first visit should be and she said "one or two days after the birth".   There's no way that I'm taking my baby out two days after she's born (we're having a home birth), and especially not to a pediatrician's office.

For all you homebirth mamas, when are you planning on taking your baby to the first pediatrician's visit?  My midwife will be visiting us 24 and 48 hours after the birth, so I figure if she says we need to go, then we will but if she says baby is doing fine we'll put it off.  I would love to know other people's views...

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#2 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in a *very* un-MW-friendly state and most people deliver in the hospital.  So the Ped comes the next morning for a quick check and then the standard is to visit their office on day 4.  I know many, many people that were thankful they went on day 4 because their baby needed help that the parents didn't recognize (nursing help, billi bed, etc).

My kids' Ped office has a regular waiting area with all the toys and fun stuff and a separate area for the newborns so they're not mingling with the main kid germs.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#3 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM

As far as I'm concerned..you're the mother and YOU decide when the baby sees a ped. My current issue is that I'm going to be charged an office visit to interview a ped and I simply do not have the money so I'm left at the mercy of the doctor/hospital basically. It's really quite upsetting. However, again - we are the mothers and we call the shots. If you want to take your baby in a week after birth..why not? It's YOUR choice. The way I see it - we employ the doctor's so what we say should go without question. IMHO. 

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#4 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn811 View Post
The way I see it - we employ the doctor's so what we say should go without question. IMHO. 

Valid point, but you also need to understand that the Ped is acting in the best interest of your child (as they see it) and if they feel you're not working as a team then they have every right to ask you to leave the practice.  So, no, what you say shouldn't go without question...or there would be no need for DFS.

I'm not saying that you have to do everything by their time frame, but they deserve the respect of a conversation if you feel uncomfortable about something.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#5 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 12:55 PM

I think they usually visit the hospital at that visit around here, too.

On the other hand, a MW usually/often handles the first couple of weeks after a HB, then you would transfer care to the ped after that. That is what we did last time (birth center in another state) and will do this time. Did you mention that you're planning a HB? My ped is used to working with my MW, so they have an understanding (just by chance, actually, I had been taking my son to this ped already, but that worked out great!) but I could see that being an issue if there is any issue with communication or legality. You could ask your MW about that, too, she may have a standard way that she does things or she may be familiar (or not) with your pediatrician and that would be good for you to know.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#6 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 12:58 PM

My MW practice sees me and baby until 6 weeks postpartum, which is when I'll then transfer to my family doctor (for the 6-week or 2-month checkup...have to look into that...).  Even so, I'm not asked to go out to the MW office until 2 weeks after baby's born; they come and see me on days 1, 3, and 5...I was astonished when I found that out!!

Theatre-techie at heart, married to a theatre-techie hubby,and mama to an incredible baby girl, (h20homebirth.gifJan 14, 2012) and expecting a surprise in July 2014!  We are having a blastbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif, andfemalesling.GIF.
#7 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Part of the advantage of having a HB is that you don't have to go out for a couple of weeks, so it would be a shame to have to go to the ped's office (and risk exposure to bigger kids' illnesses!)

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#8 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 02:09 PM

It just depends on your situation. Some MWs cover infant care and some don't. You'll most likely take comfort in the fact that someone is checking on your babe at that point, in your home or outside of it. I'm a freak and don't leave my house until the baby is 3 months aside from going to the doctors. Don't discount the pediatrician if you liked her, a checkup a few days after birth is very standard. Usually after that (at least in my experience), a newborn sees the doctor at 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, and 12 months. 

#9 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 03:26 PM

i'm having a home birth and will get post partum and newborn care from my MW for several weeks - however i am in a similar boat, i interviewed and really liked my sister's pediatrician (who knows i'm having a HB) and she said to bring in babe at two weeks old. THAT seemed way too soon to me, so i can totally see how a couple days sounds crazy. i will not be bringing in the baby until at least 4 weeks, more like 6 probably, and if the ped has an issue with it i will tell her that i felt the need to stay home. i know she's looking out for baby and i appreciate that, but i think the peds will also understand our needs as well. there is no reason why 6 weeks is TOO late, especially if they know the baby has been cared for by a MW. then again i also live in a very MW friendly place. 

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

#10 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 06:33 PM

I think a ped visit at day 3 or 4 is pretty standard.  I think their main concern is weight especially if your milk is late coming in.  I also live in a very MW UN-friendly state so we really have no options for MW care at home after birth (or homebirths at this time). :(  With my first son my milk took 3-4 days to come in so he was a little jaundiced but my ped was wonderful and just said if my milk didn't come in by day 4 to give them a call.  Never mentioned supplementing.  I also agree that the peds office should have a "well-care" waiting area and a "sick" waiting area.  I always wore my son so he was right up against me and completely covered until we went into our own exam room.

#11 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 PM

I do not usually align with western medical practices and actually do almost no pediatrician care at all.  My midwife covers up until 6 weeks so she takes care of the early concerns and questions.  For my son, after the initial care with my midwife, I just home treated for colds and things.  We don't vaccinate, so no office visits for that.  I take him in only for yearly checkups and if he is really sick with something that concerned me, which has only been a handful of times to date.  I am actually more scared of catching something from the doctor's office than I am worried to keep my child at home when he's feeling yucky.  When we have had to go I have been hesitant to follow their advice anyway, as they often go straight to heavy duty medication.  Now though, I have finally found a pediatrician that is non-vac friendly and seems reasonable about alternative treatments, so I'm a bit more comfortable than I was.  The vaccination and well-baby checkup schedules seem thoroughly insane to me...

#12 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't remember taking my son to the doctor until the third or fourth day.  I was nervous and had questions, so it didn't bother me much.  This time around, I think I will be nervous about taking the little one out in the middle of winter...

Having a pediatrician who has a sick kids waiting room and a well kids waiting room is fantastic!  I would highly suggest inquiring with the office on their standard procedures with those cases.

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#13 of 26 Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonSnail View Post
  For my son, after the initial care with my midwife, I just home treated for colds and things.  We don't vaccinate, so no office visits for that.  I am actually more scared of catching something from the doctor's office than I am worried to keep my child at home when he's feeling yucky.  When we have had to go I have been hesitant to follow their advice anyway, as they often go straight to heavy duty medication.  Now though, I have finally found a pediatrician that is non-vac friendly and seems reasonable about alternative treatments, so I'm a bit more comfortable than I was.  The vaccination and well-baby checkup schedules seem thoroughly insane to me...

i feel the SAME way - i dont even know when i will be going to the pediatrician's office, we aren't planning to vac for at least a year or two if at all, and i wouldn't give my child the meds they prescribe anyway. and all the well baby visits do is tell you what percentile your baby is in, and is that really medically necessary? this ped that i found is also non vac and alternative treatment friendly, and i feel like to establish care with her i do have to take baby in for the first time at least. but really, after that i'm not sure how often we'll really be going in!

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

#14 of 26 Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

That's the thing... My MW will be seeing the baby several times in the first few weeks, and she's an acupuncturist as well as a MW so if baby needs any sort of treatment she can suggest herbal and homemade remedies.  I don't care about percentiles and if my milk isn't coming in then the MW will help with that.  However, my MW did highlight the fact that we should establish a "record" with the pediatrician, so that they have a file on the baby in the off chance that we ever need referrals or hospital admission.  The ped I found does have different entrances for sick and healthy children, but what good does that do once you're in an examining room with all those gross germs flying around?  I don't align with western medicine either, but at the same time I want to make sure we have someone for a "just in case" basis... 

I'm seeing my MW on Tuesday so I'll ask her opinion... I really appreciate everyone's input!  

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#15 of 26 Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I will be bringing in our baby within the first few weeks for a checkup to our family practice doctor. I will be doing so just to establish care somewhere. I realized how important this could be after my homeborn son hadn't seen a doctor until he was 2 and was injured. I realized how fortunate we were that the doctor didn't really blink about the fact that our kid had been born at home, had never seen a doctor, had no vaccines, and was now coming in with an injury. At least when there is a relationship established, it feels less overwhelming to bring a child in if they are sick or hurt and the doctor knows that you aren't a case of medical neglect (or abuse). We won't be keeping a super regular schedule of well baby appointments, but since this is our 4th kid and my other 3 are all in school, we are dropping by often enough with one or more kids with strep throat, pink eye, etc :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#16 of 26 Old 12-29-2011, 10:09 AM

I totally agree with establishing a relationship with a pediatrician for those times when their care may be necessary.  It truly is awful to have to see a doctor that thinks you are whack job due to your family's alternative treatment ideas or lack of vaccinations.  Some peds can be horribly condescending and insulting.  It is well worth seeking out the best, most understanding pediatrician you can find and establishing at least a basic relationship.  However, I don't think you need to do that within the first few days at all... especially if you have midwifery care.  I think to worry about bringing in a baby before your midwifery care is even over is unnecessary.  I think you should just curl up in bed with baby for a while where you both belong!  (Unless, of course, you have other little ones already.... in which case, I am assuming since this will be my second, put the baby in a cozy sling and wander around the safety of your own home for a while!)

#17 of 26 Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM

I am also having a hb and ped wants to see baby on day 2!  MW doesn't come for a visit until day 3. I know this isn't ideal. I'm not happy about going out and to a doc's office but I also think it will be a relief if baby gets a clean bill of health.

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#18 of 26 Old 12-29-2011, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It is standard here where I live for homeborn babies to see a pediatrician at around 24 to 48 hours.  There is actually one pediatrician here in town who will do home visits for homeborn babies!  Unfortunately, they don't accept Medicaid, so many homebirthing mamas have to leave the house at 2 days postpartum, which is when they should be resting in bed with their little ones to establish breastfeeding, heal from the birth, rest, etc. *sigh*  Maybe you can ask your midwife if there are any pediatricians in your area who do home visits?

We will not be bringing our little one to a ped at all unless medically necessary.  I do understand wanting to establish a relationship with a pediatrician, though.  There have definitely been documented cases of CPS/DCF being called on families who refuse medical care for healthy newborns. 

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#19 of 26 Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 PM

My family practice doc doesn't expect to see my LO until she's 2 months.  She was happy to hear that the midwives will do the first checks and said she doesn't think it's a good idea for postpartum moms and brand new babies to be running around to well baby visits if they're being monitored elsewhere.

Her response made me really happy that I found her!

Healthcare is a human right!
#20 of 26 Old 12-29-2011, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We are planning our second homebirth and will need to take our babe to the ped for the PKU test. We need the paperwork for filing the birth certificate.

Mother, wife, doula, and lactivist.
#21 of 26 Old 12-30-2011, 06:43 AM

I am planning on taking the baby in to see the ped within the first couple of days.  My cousin's baby had a heart defect, so now I am paranoid about doing the pulse-ox (the same way I was paranoid about having an ultrasound done.)  Our ped's office has a separate waiting room for well-baby visits up to 12 months, so I'm not overly concerned about germs or anything like that.

We delay vaxes (as in, for years), so I won't do another well baby visit until 6 months at the earliest.

I'm doing a homebirth more because I hate being stuck in the hospital (especially with two other kids at home), and after every other child, I've been itching to get up and GO somewhere after giving birth.  (I have zero desire to go anywhere until this baby comes out, so I'll likely have a little bit of cabin fever by the time she makes her appearance.)

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#22 of 26 Old 12-30-2011, 06:52 AM

Redbirlady, I am also doing a pulse ox at my first visit. :)

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#23 of 26 Old 12-30-2011, 12:31 PM

I am starting my interviews next week (finally got my car fixed, yay!).  I'm actually not sure what I should be asking the peds?  Does anyone care to share what their questions and concerns were before choosing a ped?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#24 of 26 Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

I am starting my interviews next week (finally got my car fixed, yay!).  I'm actually not sure what I should be asking the peds?  Does anyone care to share what their questions and concerns were before choosing a ped?

There was a thread about that back in September, it came in quite handy to re-read it before I went to the interviews: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1330244/pediatricians

#25 of 26 Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 PM

Awesome, thank you for the find! My brain is too full of "duh" right now, lol!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#26 of 26 Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 PM

I'm not really sure when to go in either. I found a great homebirth friendly and homeopathic ped. They said to just call a few weeks after the birth to decide when I should come in. We are not vac so no rush there. Our midwives do come for a couple of weeks after the birth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page