Advice for C section?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The closer it gets to my EDD, the more it is looking like I am going to have to get a c section (which I am none too thrilled about!)

My little guy is now breach (formerly transverse) and consistently measuring at least two weeks ahead of schedule. He has already exceeded the weight of my firstborn (who came exactly on his due date!)

The doctor hasn't given me the official verdict, but with every visit, its looking like an inevitability.

So, was wondering:

- what was your planned c section like?

-how long were you in recovery after and were you able to be with the baby right away?

-did it make breast feeding harder?

-was managing the pain difficult?

-how long did it really take you to heal?

-was it harder to bond with baby?

-how long was your hospital stay?

I plan on asking my doctor all of these questions and more if he decides this is the route we are going, but right now with the many sleepless nights, my mind is racing nonstop.

Also, any advice is always appreciated!!

As of right now, all I have are my mom's c section stories to go on...and those are twenty plus years old smile.gif

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't any advice for your situation from my own personal experience, but I do hope you get some wonderful advice and that your birth and recovery goes smooth and is as painless as possible *no matter how it happens*!

A little offtopic:

Something that may be helpful to you concerning possibly avoiding the c-section (if you have enough time) are things like your doctor doing an ECV (here is a video, don't try this at home - but just so you know what it looks like)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AM6wDwTjmc

You still may have a month, so baby could turn with some help. Just wanted to show my support but also show you something that might be an option...

Hope you didn't mind the DDC crash. Best of luck and love as you approach your due date!

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#3 of 10 Old 12-29-2011, 05:47 AM

My daughter didn't turn until the eleventh hour so there might still be time!

I had a friend get an external version during labor so she could have a vaginal birth...and that was in a standard military hospital.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 10 Old 12-29-2011, 07:04 AM

Have you considered going to a chiropractor? I've heard of people having good luck with that! The ICPA has a great search engine you can use to look for someone who can do the Webster technique, which is much less invasive than external version, but is supposed to have even better results.

http://icpa4kids.org/Find-a-Chiropractor/

Good luck! I would personally try to do what I could to avoid a CS, but it is your choice what you do!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 10 Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:I had my third c-section last january so I can answer soem of these for you. 
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

The closer it gets to my EDD, the more it is looking like I am going to have to get a c section (which I am none too thrilled about!)

My little guy is now breach (formerly transverse) and consistently measuring at least two weeks ahead of schedule. He has already exceeded the weight of my firstborn (who came exactly on his due date!)

The doctor hasn't given me the official verdict, but with every visit, its looking like an inevitability.

So, was wondering:

- what was your planned c section like? Relaxed. Everyone was was cheerful and ready to a baby. I was a little bummed about the repeat c but it was far better then the emergency c section where there was no joyful chit chat about the new baby coming. 

-how long were you in recovery after and were you able to be with the baby right away? Baby stayed with me in OR went in my bed with me to recovery never left my side the whole time I was in the hospital. 

-did it make breast feeding harder? No, But all I have had is c-sections. But I can say I have never ever had any trouble nursing. nursed baby in recovery and it was a snap. DH did have to help me prop up a few pillows but no latching or sucking problems. 

-was managing the pain difficult? No, Take the meds on time, don't try and be a hero. IMHO the pain does more damage then the meds. 

-how long did it really take you to heal? A couple of weeks to feel normal a couple of days to feel well.

-was it harder to bond with baby? NO

-how long was your hospital stay? three c-sestions three times I was released after two nights. less than 48 hours. I could have stayed longer but I spoke to the OB and Ped, babe and I were fine and they were happy release me. 

I plan on asking my doctor all of these questions and more if he decides this is the route we are going, but right now with the many sleepless nights, my mind is racing nonstop.

Also, any advice is always appreciated!! Ask to have the catheter out as soon as you can feel your legs and get up to go to the bathroom. The sooner I got up the better I felt. Also stitches were waaaaay better than stapels. 

As of right now, all I have are my mom's c section stories to go on...and those are twenty plus years old smile.gif

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#6 of 10 Old 12-29-2011, 01:18 PM

I had a planned c-section at 40+1.  My guy kept going from footling breech (fun!  tried to kick his way out) to transverse and back again despite an ECV, Webster, etc. 

what was your planned c section like?

Uneventful.  Arrived at the hospital at 8:00, had a baby by 12:30.  The only nasty thing was that the spinal made my blood pressure drop and when they were sewing me up, I threw up a few times.  It's the weirdest feeling knowing you're going to vomit and not be able to feel it until it's coming out of your mouth while you're lying down.  If this baby's breech/sideways, I'm not looking forward to this again although it was over with fairly quickly.

-how long were you in recovery after and were you able to be with the baby right away?

I was in recovery for about 1-2 hours.  I got to be with DS about 45 min after DH took him to the nursery.  I wasn't too happy about this, but after the vomiting, I was actually glad to have a few minutes to clean up and brush my teeth and shake off some of the wooziness.

No experience to go on with a vaginal birth, but moving about and picking up the baby wasn't the easiest after the spinal wore off.  However, we got things going and kept nursing for 18 months. 

No, as long as I kept on my percocet and then advil.  But, I don't like taking drugs, so I'd often let it go and then things would get tough for a few hours.  This only lasted a week or so.

I was 70% in a week, 90% in two weeks, and probably back to 100% in 4 weeks.  I had some migraine issues that weren't fun, but those didn't appear to be related to the section.

Nope.  What did make it difficult was just being completely exhausted all the time.  I don't think that's something that c-section deliveries have a monopoly on.

3 nights.  In on Thurs morning, out Sunday morning.  Not a fan of the hospital interruptions or the tiny room I was in.  This go-round, the rooms have been renovated and bigger and I'll be more assertive in kicking people out.  It's one thing to be interrupted by the baby.  It's another to be interrupted by the baby, nurse, doctor, pediatrician, etc. in 20 minute intervals all day and night long when everything's going well. 

I'm hoping for a VBAC this time, but I'm not going to go all crazy if it's another c-section.  The only major difference is that I think it'll be 100x harder to be at home with a newborn and a very active, snuggly almost-4 year old DS and a c-section incision.

#7 of 10 Old 12-29-2011, 04:51 PM

One thing you could do is not plan a c-section and just go in when you actually go into labour. That way, you decrease any risk of iatrogenic prematurity and your baby will get some of the hormones of labour, which will make for an easier transition than if you just schedule a cesarean.

Do remember that ultrasounds for size can officially be off by up to 2lbs. Unofficially, I know of women who've had them off by over 4lbs. That is a huge difference. Never make a decision for birth based on ultrasound sizing of a baby. Even ACOG's own guidelines say that big baby is not a reason for induction or cesarean. Neither is breech, but if you can't find someone experienced to catch, you're probably better off with a cesarean.

I second chiropractic & external version. Some women have also had luck with acupuncture and moxibustion to get a breech baby to turn.

I think I was in recovery a couple hours. Dh took pictures of them bathing ds1 and then held him while they waited for me. My milk too over 5 days to come in after my cesarean. I had the surgery on a Sunday night and I went home on Thursday. The doctor wanted me to stay until Friday, but I couldn't take it anymore.

It took me over a year to heal. It would have taken longer but I finally went to a physiotherapist who helped me. I slept downstairs for the first 4 weeks because I couldn't get up and down the stairs.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#8 of 10 Old 12-29-2011, 05:42 PM

I had a c-section in July due to footling breech presentation and I will answer the questions but some of my answers will be different because DD was born with an undiagnosed congenital heart defect.

- what was your planned c section like?   

My c-section was scheduled for a Wednesday but the Saturday before, I went in to labor. I got to the hospital about 12:30 AM Sunday morning and we went back for my surgery at 7 AM. It was very relaxed even though I went in to labor before the scheduled date. I was very happy that I went in to labor on my on for the hormonal effects.

DD was able to be with me for a few minutes in the OR and then they took her to the nursery to weigh and measure her. DH went with her as we had previously discussed. I got to recovery about an hour after my surgery started and I was there for about 1 1/2 hours. DD had to stay in the nursery because she was turning blue and needed oxygen support. She was not able to be with me in the recovery room.

I don't think it would have made it harder but due to DD's hospital stay, intubations and surgery, we were not able to establish a nursing relationship. I pump exclusively.

I needed to take the narcotic pain meds even after I was discharged from the hospital. Getting in and out of the car was a challenge as was getting in and out of the bed. When I was at DD's hospital (she was transferred when she was 3 hours old to another hospital w/a NICU) I would need to be transported in a wheelchair for the first week.

I'm still healing and DD is 5.5 months old. I can't lay on my stomach and anything more than vigorous walking hurts at my incision site.

I had a hard time bonding w/DD but that was more associated with not seeing her for the first two days of her life and not because of the c-section.

I begged my OB to discharge me at 48 hours so that I could go to the other hospital to be with DD. I wasn't ready physically but I couldn't be separated from her any longer.

Here are my tips. Try chiropractics to get your LO to turn. DD turned breech around 35 weeks so I had almost a month of every other day chiropractic adjustments to get DD to turn. She wouldn't budge. But it's worth a shot. Try to get your OB to just let you go in to labor instead of scheduling a date. My OB wasn't comfortable with that due to DD's footling breech presentation and the risk of cord prolapse but when I did go in to labor, she flipped to frank breech.

After the c-section, make sure you keep your bladder empty after they remove the catheter. The night after my surgery, I didn't go to the bathroom for about 3 hours. When I tried to get up, it was the worst pain of  my life. I could barely walk. The nurse said that my bladder had gotten too full and was pushing against the incision.

Rest as much as you can afterwards. Don't push yourself. A week after the surgery, I tried to get around DD's hospital w/out the wheelchair. BIG MISTAKE! I was in a lot of pain from that for a couple of days.

Expect that part of your stomach will be numb. No one told me that beforehand and it really freaked me out. There's still a section of my stomach that's numb and will probably always be.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#9 of 10 Old 01-04-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Updated this on another thread, but thought I would add it on here too:

Went to the Dr today for my weekly BPP and found out that LO turned and is now in position!!  Couldn't be happier.

Was up this morning with a lot of pain/discomfort down low in my uterus..I am thinking now that was him finally moving, but at the time I just thought he was doing his usual crazy stretches and that it was being amplified by my own gas...

Now just hoping he decides he's comfortable where he is and decides to stay there!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#10 of 10 Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 PM

Do some squats to get that boy waaay down there and invest in a good girdle so he can't move back!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page