Newborn Pulse Ox screening - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A friend on Twitter lost her newborn to an undiagnosed heat defect 2 years ago. Since then she has been working to get pulse ox screening for all newborns. It has been passed in a couple of states so far and has already saved at least 2 lives.

She asked me to pass on the following link for her http://www.scribd.com/doc/63697225/Pulse-Ox-Patient

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 PM

i had to go meet with our pediatrician the other day, to sign the forms to clear me to deliver at the birth center, and he was adamant that we bring the baby into the office 48 hours later, to see that the baby was getting enough oxygen, for this very reason.  they've actually seen a few babies who had the defect (and we don't live in a very urban/highly populated) area, so i feel ok following his request to see the baby.  i gently push back against other things, but not this.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 AM

This is exactly why I am taking my baby into the ped relatively quickly after she is born.  If she's born on a weekend, we'll be discussing whether or not to go to a minute clinic type place (we'll call ahead to see if they have a pulse ox machine.)  My cousin had a baby with a heart defect (diagnosed via u/s) that died this past year after spending every day of his 5 months of life in the hospital, and that was enough to convince me to both have an u/s and bring the baby in for the pulse ox machine just make sure.

Like a pp, I push back on some stuff, but this is one I won't mess with.  It's non-invasive and could save lives.

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM

I've never heard of this screening. How is it administered?

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 AM

there's a little clip they put over the baby's finger, and wait a couple of seconds, and it gives a readout of the baby's blood oxygen level.

like this, but the clip is bb sized

Handheld-Pulse-Oximeter-PM60A-.jpg

Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Or, in lieu of a clip, it's attached to this fabric, kind of like Ace bandage material.  It doesn't hurt, isn't invasive or anything like that, just sits on the finger or the foot/toe for less than a minute.

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

Old 01-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirdlady View Post

Or, in lieu of a clip, it's attached to this fabric, kind of like Ace bandage material.  It doesn't hurt, isn't invasive or anything like that, just sits on the finger or the foot/toe for less than a minute.

Every time my littles have been hooked up to a pulse ox machine its been with the fabric. Its easy, quick and harmless. I will have to ask my midwives about this. Its never occurred to me and this is baby number 6!

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Old 01-01-2012, 07:23 PM

We also talked to our ped and will be getting a pulse ox. Within how many hours do they need to get it? Not sure what we will do if it's born on a Friday...hmmm...

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

Old 01-02-2012, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a set time, but the sooner you do it, the sooner any issues can be found.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 01-02-2012, 07:29 AM

our ped said that you don't normally start to notice any problems until after 24 hours, that between one and two days, the defect starts to have an appreciable effect on the O2 levels in blood.  maybe someone else has heard something different, though.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the info! I'll ask my midwife about it Tuesday.

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

User Tag List