Preparing your body for labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yesterday I had prodomal labor for over 12 hours. It felt so real that the midwife actually came over. Getting closer together, stronger, and all that jazz. Finally decided to have her check me and I wasn't dilated at all! Well, I was 2cm, but that's what I was two weeks ago at my appointment.

Baby is in a great position and low. Cervix is ripe. I'm only 38 weeks so I don't feel like I need to actually start labor, but I'd really like it to be the real deal next time because last night was just such a huge letdown. 

My midwife had me buy calcium and I'm taking 1800 mg a day. I also got red raspberry leaf tea because someone recommended it on twitter. What else are you all doing to prepare your bodies for labor? I know that prodomal labor just happens and nothing I do will necessarily change that, but I feel like I need to be doing something regardless. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, that's a massive amount of calcium, unless you are not getting any in your diet. And I've never read anything about calcium doing anything for labour, but too much can cause problems.

Unfortunately, there's really not much you can do about prodromal labour. Did your midwfie check effacement too? Dilation isn't the only thing that matters.

You could also take Evening Primrose Oil, orally, vaginally or both.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 01-01-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

I get calcium in my diet. I'm not sure why she recommended so high. 

She told me at my appointment 2 weeks ago that I was 70% effaced I think. Didn't say anything last night about effacement. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 01-01-2012, 10:40 PM

I really wouldn't take that much, personally. Too much calcium has been linked to placental calcification, among other things.  Found this article with some of the other issues http://www.livestrong.com/article/515796-risks-of-taking-too-much-calcium-when-pregnant/

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

That article you posted said 2500 mg and I'm taking 1800 mg. I realize I also get some from dietary, but she also told me at my last appointment to not drink as much milk as I have been (4 cups a day) because the lactic acid is hard on my muscles. Maybe she's trying to compensate? I'll ask her about it at my next appointment.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 AM

I have a box of raspberry leaf tea that I've been sitting on for the past month now. I wish I would have been drinking it all along, but now I'm worried that if I start drinking it now then it will induce labor, and I don't want to go for another few weeks (although I'm due in two). This is just silly paranoia, right? I should just drink the darn tea, right? orngtongue.gif

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Whenever I drink the pregnancy blend tea I have with red raspberry leaf, I'll usually have braxton hicks shortly after...  and this coming from my lazy uterus that has barely had any BH until now.  Maybe try a light brew and see how you feel?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

Whenever I drink the pregnancy blend tea I have with red raspberry leaf, I'll usually have braxton hicks shortly after...  and this coming from my lazy uterus that has barely had any BH until now.  Maybe try a light brew and see how you feel?

Wow, that's interesting. Although my midwife says BH are a good sign of a healthy uterus, so I suppose the tea really does do its job!

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The tea won't induce, but helps to tone the uterus along with supplying iron and calcium in easily absorbed form. Drink the tea!

Mother, wife, doula, and lactivist.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM

Make love! We did after 10 days of prodromal labor & he was born 2.5 hrs later!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

Make love! We did after 10 days of prodromal labor & he was born 2.5 hrs later!

That's what sent me into labor last time. No such luck now. Certainly gives me uncomfortable cramps though.

User Tag List