He's Here with a BANG! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No pics yet, we're still at the hospital.  

Ulysses Almon

Born January 2nd, 2012 at 4:13 PM

7lbs, 12oz.  19 and a half inches.

Via surprise vaginal explosion!

Ulysses Almon Ourlastname decided that January 2nd would be a lovely day to be born, despite my pleas to the contrary.  After a few hours of what I thought was either false or just early labor (contractions lasting only a little while, but 10-12 minutes apart) he came tearing out of me in a couple of minutes flat in our bathroom!  Husband faked being calm long enough to tie off the cord and the paramedics had to wait to take us to the hospital because Uly got a good latch going while we waited for them!

Accidental home birth with virtually no segway from early labor to birth.  Husband had only been home from work for about 10 minutes!  He was rummaging around on the shelves for our hypnobirthing cd's to take with us to the hospital later that night (so we thought!).  My water hadn't broken, there was no spotting, nothing.  Boom.  All at once, Baby Bungee!  I didn't expect to not make it to the hospital on time while living 1.3 miles away from it!  I barely made it into the bathroom!

He's doing well, I'm doing fine.  I have a very minor tear.  We've consulted with a Pediatric Neurosurgeon because his soft spots are a little small, and my Husband was born with his fused.  Decided against a CT Scan, will monitor over the next several weeks.  I still haven't really gotten any sleep, but I thought I'd chime in quickly while I'm online emailing family.  Big brother isn't paying him much attention yet unless a stranger (nurse) comes to check his vitals, then he's very protective.

#2 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 08:05 PM

Wow!  Congratulations!!  And I love the name Ulysses! love.gif

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#3 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Crashing to say WOW! Great story and congrats! orngbiggrin.gif
#4 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 PM

What an entrance! I just read your story out to DH, his eyes got pretty wide ;)

Congratulations!

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 PM

Holy cow, what a birthing story! Congrats!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#6 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 PM

How amazing! Congratulations! That boy knows how to make an entrance!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#7 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 PM

WHOOOO! freaking awesome!!!  welcome, baby uly!  you have such a strong name, and you've really made a powerful entrance into the world!

congrats, mama.  you must feel like a superwoman!  i hope you get to take it easy now!

very happy for you!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#8 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 PM

Wow!  That is incredible!  Watch out when that little guy makes up his mind!  Congratulations and enjoy your babymoon!

#9 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 05:08 AM

Wow!  What a story!  :)  Congrats mama!

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#10 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 05:30 AM

Damn! You go girl! Congrats! thumb.gif

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#11 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 AM

Oh my!!  Congrats!!  That is an incredible story!!

#12 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 AM

Welcome to the world, Uly!  Sounds like you were ready to get started with this crazy thing called LIFE!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#13 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Wow and wow!!!! Congratulations!!!! Love the name....love how they had to wait while your baby was nursing. 

#14 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 08:42 AM

Holy smokes! Congratulations! That's really quite an incredible birth story. 

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#15 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM

Holy cow!!!  I love the phrase "vaginal explosion"...hehe.  Congrats!

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#16 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

That is just awesome!!!!!  Talk about a fabulous birth story, glad to hear everyone's doing fine!!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#17 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM

That is a great birth story!! Can't wait to see pics of the little guy :) Here's to getting some rest and a healthy mama and baby joy.gif

#18 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Wow! Congratulations mama :)

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#19 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 05:48 PM

wow! That's amazing. Congrats!! Enjoy your little one :)

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#20 of 27 Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Wow!  Congratulations and welcome Ulysses!  (Love that name by the way.)  How exciting!  I'm glad you're all okay!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#21 of 27 Old 01-05-2012, 12:20 PM

It must be something about Jan. 2nd! Despite my protests that I still had time (lots of it), my husband dragged me to the hospital. I arrived just in time to push. I can't wait to tell DH about your story! He was so freaked out about just barely making it there! Glad you guys are doing great! Way to go mama!!

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#22 of 27 Old 01-06-2012, 09:40 AM

If you had the opportunity.... y'know, new baby and all winky.gif..... I'd love to know how this birth compared to your last!

#23 of 27 Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 AM

Congratulations!

#24 of 27 Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonSnail View Post

If you had the opportunity.... y'know, new baby and all winky.gif..... I'd love to know how this birth compared to your last!

They could not have been more different!  With my first birth it was obvious that we were 'really' in labor, even though it was pain-free.  I'd had some contractions in the night, and then my water broke when I got up in the morning.  We went to the hospital for monitoring, and they sent us back home to wait it out since my contractions were still 10-12 minutes apart.  We puttered around, watched the Life series for a while, measured contraction times, called my Mom to come give us a ride back to the hospital later (she's an hour away).  We went back when the pressure was more intense and the spacing of contractions was 5ish minutes apart, they had been getting closer together at a slow but steady rate while we waited (hours had passed).  As we got in it looked to the midwives that we might deliver in the hall, all passageways open, all systems were GO!  That was not the case.  I labored a bit in the tub, did some slowdance labor with Husband, then finally felt an urge to push--I pushed for 6 hours.  The midwives were constantly monitoring the baby's heartbeat, he was cool as can be.  The attending OB asked if we were ready for a c-section for failure to progress, my midwife talked to him for a bit and made our wishes clear.  He came in to check a few more times until I started to show signs of fever (also I looked terrible according to my oh so tactful mother).  With the fever now the OB was pretty insistent that we get the baby out as soon as possible, so we chose to have a vacuum assist.  I ended up pushing through a contraction and was told to keep pushing even when it stopped.  Rocket tore his way into the world and I got stitched up for the next 45 minutes, nursing was postponed.  The labor nurses informed me that I was the only drug free birth on the floor that night, out of 14 babies born (sad huh?).  They also said I didn't make a peep until the last push!  This was amusing because the lady in the next room sounded like she was being attacked!

This time I had somewhat painful contractions (they were kind of like bad menstrual cramps), but I didn't feel like they were getting closer together at all, they pretty much stayed at 10-12 minutes from 11 AM until almost 4.  I spent a lot of that time home being busy with Rocket, so I thought they'd slow down or even taper off if I laid down.  A friend came by and I handed of toddler care to her and laid down.  The contractions didn't slow, but they became very light.  I called the midwives to see if they thought I was really in labor and they said to hang out, it sounded like I had plenty of time, but that they'd be ready to see me that night.  I almost didn't ask Husband to come home from work.  Luckily when I called to give him a tonight's the night heads up he decided to come home early.  Just as he came through the door I had three contractions within 10 minutes, intense enough that I had to hand him the phone when I called the midwives to say we were on our way.  As the third contraction faded and husband went to get Mom's car ready I decided to go pee!  CAUTIONARY TALE:  I think it was sitting down in the toilet position that triggered something, because at that point there was still no water breakage or sensation that he was crowning or anything.  I shouted for my husband, he came running in and tried to help me up and then down to the floor.  By that time my brother had gotten home, my Mom had arrived to return my nephew home from a visit with his mother, and my friend was still here with Rocket.  They report that they heard two quick shouts from me and then a baby crying!  It was that fast.  Husband didn't even get me back down to the floor, the baby fell the length of my legs!  (Eeep is that a scary feeling!)  Husband picked him up and we wrapped him in a towel, passed him back between my legs to the front of my body, put a towel on the toilet lid and sat me down.  There wasn't any gunk in his mouth or nose, I put him right on the breast within seconds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmythe View Post
After a few hours of what I thought was either false or just early labor (contractions lasting only a little while, but 10-12 minutes apart) he came tearing out of me in a couple of minutes flat in our bathroom!  Husband faked being calm long enough to tie off the cord and the paramedics had to wait to take us to the hospital because Uly got a good latch going while we waited for them!

Accidental home birth with virtually no segway from early labor to birth.  Husband had only been home from work for about 10 minutes!  He was rummaging around on the shelves for our hypnobirthing cd's to take with us to the hospital later that night (so we thought!).  My water hadn't broken, there was no spotting, nothing.  Boom.  All at once, Baby Bungee!  I didn't expect to not make it to the hospital on time while living 1.3 miles away from it!  I barely made it into the bathroom!

He's doing well, I'm doing fine.  I have a very minor tear.

#25 of 27 Old 01-08-2012, 02:55 PM

What an amazing story!

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#26 of 27 Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM

Congrats! And what a cool name!   Ours was in quite a rush, but not that fast! I hope you are ok.

#27 of 27 Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM

WOW! Unbelievable! I love his name! Congratulations and welcome Ulysses! Welcome.gif

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page