daily check-in, january 4th! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sort of off topic because I feel like a total jerk..

My appointments have been on Thursdays for the last several months..so I assumed this appointment was for Thursday..it was for today ): I missed it - I never got a call from the office saying I missed it, or a reminder call yesterday for today. So now I have to call tomorrow and tell them how sorry I am for being such an unintentional jerk. For whatever stupid reason this is really eating at me..I feel terrible. But I can't understand why no one called to tell me I missed my appointment. ): 

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 01-04-2012, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn811 View Post

Sort of off topic because I feel like a total jerk..

My appointments have been on Thursdays for the last several months..so I assumed this appointment was for Thursday..it was for today ): I missed it - I never got a call from the office saying I missed it, or a reminder call yesterday for today. So now I have to call tomorrow and tell them how sorry I am for being such an unintentional jerk. For whatever stupid reason this is really eating at me..I feel terrible. But I can't understand why no one called to tell me I missed my appointment. ): 

I had that happen a couple of weeks ago.  i was never called for the reminder, and I had thought my appointment was for the usual Wednesday instead of Tuesday.  they called me a half hour after what time they had me coming in to ask where I was... they told me if I was able to come in anyways they would fit me in, which worked out.  They insisted that they had called me and left a message about the appointment, but they never did.  I figured it wasn't worth the argument.  We're pregnant women, we can always claim forgetfulness and people will nod in agreement :o)

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#33 of 40 Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Thinking about the hips thing... there is really no way to tell how wide a woman's hips open to birth a baby from what I've read! The angles change so dramatically during birth (well, little tiny changes really, but in the big picture... dramatic...) Like the way the tailbone opens on hands and knees - you can check this by placing a hand on your pubic bone and a hand on your tailbone... as you bend forward the angle increases and I find that reassuring ;)

This link http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/birth-positions.html talks a little more about it and is well-cited imho.

I think a lot of it is about the head-and-shoulder sizing too - you can have a heavy baby with a regular-sized head, like my 9+ lbs and 27-inches-at-birth DH apparently was! 

This is what I'm telling myself. MW commented that the baby was "heavy" as she helped me turn over the other day and I just went "heavy? um..." 

And no one in my family has guess less than 8.5lbs ;P

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#34 of 40 Old 01-04-2012, 07:57 PM

Also, any tips for nausea, headache, discomfort? I can't be comfy sitting, or laying down. I feel sick to my stomach. My head and neck hurt..thus not being able to get comfy. Anyone else experiencing this? And what are you doing? Is this what my first trimester was like? It feels so far away now lol that it's hard to remember. 

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#35 of 40 Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 PM

chilichicki, also, don't forget that hormones do amazing things to a woman's pelvis when she is birthing.  I totally believe that a woman grows a baby that within her capabilities of birthing... barring pelvic abnormalities of some sort.  I went to 42 weeks with my son... he was 9 lb. 14 oz, 23 inches long..... and posterior.  I was vegan at the time so he grew this huge regardless of my worry that I was eating enough protein.  Everything was fine.  I had a beautiful homebirth.  I am certain that had I been in the hospital and had all sorts of ultrasound dating to let them take a guess at his size (and given that he was posterior and I had a long labor), I would have been a cesarean.  Don't let the doctor pressure you into doing anything with your baby and your body that you are uncomfortable with.  It is YOUR decision.  Your little guy may not be ready at 39 weeks!

#36 of 40 Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 PM

Barring medical issues (diabetes, broken pelvis), your body won't grow a baby too big to birth. So long as you allow labour to start naturally & labour and push in positions which allow gravity and your pelvis to work.

Despite what drs believe, the research shows that inducing for suspected "big baby" only increases the cesarean rate. Several reasons for that. Big one is that induction ties you to the bed & increases pain, making you more likely to get an epidural, all of which means you can't work with your body and your pelvic outlet is much smaller.  The other big reason is that when you go into labour naturally, your body is ready for birthing. You have more relaxin so that your pelvis can give the baby more space, you have the right hormones in the right amounts, and so does baby. When you induce, neither of you is ready (or you'd be in labour already), which means if the baby is actually big, you're decreasing your chances of being able to birth.

Shoulder dystocia is a genuine concern but a) while bigger babies are more likely to get stuck, dystocia happens "commonly" with smaller babies too (the commonly is in quotes because shoulder dystocia itself is extremely rare, occurring in between .5-1% of births) and b) one reason drs are so terrified of it is that their methods to deal with it are..not the greatest. And a lot of them have panicked and caused damage trying to yank the baby out.The best way to resolve it is to change the position of the mother, which with an epidural can be very difficult, so instead of using the FLIPFLOP method http://www.spinningbabies.com/spinning-babies-and/resolving-shoulder-dystocia they use HELPERR http://midwifethinking.com/2010/12/03/shoulder-dystocia-the-real-story/ (great article in general, you'll have to read down for the info on HELPERR)

Sorry if that's a bit much info, hopefully you'll find something reassuring in all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post
His reason for not wanting me to go past 39 weeks is the size of the baby.  I know the ultrasounds aren't 100% accurate, but there is definitely a big difference between this baby and my first son.  He worries that the baby may grow too big and get stuck in the birth canal...which I have to admit I worry about too. 

My mom tells me not to worry about that since I have already had one child (even if he was small) and that my hips are more than sufficient enough to pass a bigger kid.  She also thinks that the U/S weight measurements are off.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#37 of 40 Old 01-04-2012, 10:54 PM

I'm still here waiting for baby too.  Having prodominal labor for 4 days now but it obviously isn't producing anything.  I'm 39+2 and baby is still not engaged.   Trying my best to stay distracted and keep myself busy.  I have reorganized, cleaned and spruced up every room in the house and might just have to tackle th garage if I make it to the weekend!  Today I got a pedicure, tomorrow I am going out to lunch for my birthday (which is on the 8th) and the next day I have coffee and thrifting with a friend planned.  Also going on tons of walks with dh which are kinda like mini dates.  Having a good time but seriously ready to meet this babe!!!

Oh and I totally rocked dinner tonight and made 3 chicken pot pies! 2 are for the freezer of course.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#38 of 40 Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 PM

baby arrived today at 39 weeks 1 day!!!! born at home after about 9 hours of labor - definitely THE most adventurous day of my life. crazy. will post birth story soon, thanks for all your support girls!

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

#39 of 40 Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begoniamama View Post

baby arrived today at 39 weeks 1 day!!!! born at home after about 9 hours of labor - definitely THE most adventurous day of my life. crazy. will post birth story soon, thanks for all your support girls!

CONGRATS mama!! 

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#40 of 40 Old 01-06-2012, 06:37 AM

Woot!  Another baby!!  Can't wait to hear the story!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page