Mothering Forum banner

Daily Check In - January 5th

848 views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  HippieIncognito 
#1 ·
How's everyone doing today?

Not much has changed here - I'm horribly sick with a 'flu' again so I'm definitely calling the midwife today. This just sucks! Hoping baby is OK and that I see her soon!

I need to get better soon anyway because my national certification exam is on the 10th! Talk about cutting this all really close.

Have a good day everyone :) Bring on the babies!

#2 ·
Oh Kaitlyn, I feel so bad for you! Let us know what the midwife says...

So my water broke last night around 9:20pm
jumpers.gif
Nothing much happened over the night, just a few surges but it didn't amount to anything...my midwife's checking in this morning and will probably be doing a non-stress test and making sure everything's good and baby's doing well.

Lots of bouncing on my ball today, and taking it easy and doing some more tidying up...ok baby, you can arrive any time now!!!

#3 ·
Not much here. My oldest finally went back to school today (!!!) so the boy and I are registering a car at the DMV and heading to the OB.

i went to Zumba last night and my pelvis is telling me about it right now!

All in all, things are going well. :)

#4 ·
oh kaitlyn, i'm so sorry you feel crappy still. let us know what you hear from your MW. i wish you a speedy recovery, so your body feels strong enough to give birth!

and hannabee- yay! i hope things get moving soon, and that labor is peaceful and everything you're hoping for. (don't tell your MIL!
lol.gif
)

i was up working too late again last night, but i am feeling much less "funky" today. i have a MW appt this afternoon, but i don't expect to have anything exciting to share. i'll be here, cheering the rest of you on! that full moon is coming soon- who can feel it??
orngbiggrin.gif

i'm eager to hear how imakecute babies is doing! i really like seeing these threads by the end of the day- it's good to hear how everyone is getting along. keep the updates coming, friends!

#5 ·
Hannabee - I can't wait for an update, this is exciting!!!

Kaytlin - Hang in there girl, take good care of yourself!

So, this morning I had a little bit of blood when I wiped after peeing... Nothing exciting but at least something's happening.
orngbiggrin.gif
I've been getting lots of cervical cramping, it feels like something's tearing inside... weird. I did three big hills yesterday, and I'm off to do them again right now! I've had really nice pregnancy dreams, about sweet babies and breastfeeding (no more crazy chickens coming out of my belly button!).

Have a good day everyone!!

#6 ·
Well, I have an appointment today at 2:40. Here's hoping I can find some relief, or answers..something at this point. The medical assistant thinks it might be a UTI (and since they can lead to kidney infections she wants to check right away) and I'll be having a nonstress test today. *sigh*

Keep your fingers crossed for me ladies. :)

#7 ·
Good luck with your appointment, Kaitlyn. The NST is a piece of cake. Take a magazine and just check out for 20 minutes. :) I hope you feel better soon!

Hannabee - I hope you're resting up for the marathon of labor. Enjoy your last few hours and easy birthing.

I just got back from the OB. Everything is great. He claims I'm 1cm...this is the first time I've ever dilated before 40w. Sadly, I can't wish the baby to come sooner than my EDD as my husband has a two day trip to Philly on 1/20 and I'd sort of like for him to be around!

#8 ·
Kaitlyn.. hang in there! Let us know when you know what's going on... and Hannabee YAY! Can't wait to hear there's a baby in your arms :)

I've still got nothing going on. Had to poop again rather urgently at 3am, hope that's not a pattern - and again led to absolutely nothing. I picked up the birth ball from my doula this am, planning to see if I can't get that baby head a little more engaged and get some good cervical pressure going on. Home life has been stressful, no doubt that is holding things up too. Five more days until my due date, I really didn't think it would be this long!

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Good luck with your appointment, Kaitlyn. The NST is a piece of cake. Take a magazine and just check out for 20 minutes. :) I hope you feel better soon!

Hannabee - I hope you're resting up for the marathon of labor. Enjoy your last few hours and easy birthing.

I just got back from the OB. Everything is great. He claims I'm 1cm...this is the first time I've ever dilated before 40w. Sadly, I can't wish the baby to come sooner than my EDD as my husband has a two day trip to Philly on 1/20 and I'd sort of like for him to be around!
Katilyn- drink and eat something about a half hour before the NST. That's what the nurses tell me, and it has worked each time...otherwise, god only knows how long you will be there! I've been having them twice a week for about two weeks now, and will continue to do so until LO is born. My cousin had her baby new year's eve, and had to return to the hospital today because of a UTI, so good luck with that!

Hannabee- you sound so calm! I think I would be freaking out :eek:) My water has never broke on its own...how long can you go before labor starts? Is there a time frame they wait for and then intervene? I hope not and that everything goes smoothly for you.

AfricanQueen- I don't blame you on hoping the baby stays put for awhile. My husband has to leave the last weekend of January, and because of his paranoia and my mom's over eagerness, I have agreed to stay with my parents that weekend. Ought to be interesting...

Returned home yesterday from my doctors appointment and various other errands to discover that Consumers had been to our house and worked on the gas. It was briefly shut off and since no one was home, they weren't able to come in and re light pilot lights. Luckily, I returned home about ten minutes before the office hours closed and was able to get a hold of someone to come out and take care of it. My husband was at work for the night and I have no idea how to light pilots lights, and I am paranoid!!

Two hours later a tech came out, lit our water heater and informed he could not light the furnace and that it looked like it was broken, but he would send a tech out. Three hours later, my husband returns from work, walks in the house, and informs me that it reeks of gas.

So my husband, our four year old and I bundled into the car outside and waited for Consumers to send someone out to check for a leak. Meanwhile, when I was on the phone reporting the leak, my husband went to look at the furnace and after about five minutes had it working. Apparently all he did was look at the diagram on it and voila!!

Everything turned out alright in the end. We had a minor leak and were able to re-enter the house at about midnight. By then it was around 55 degrees inside. The new tech informed us the furnace had been continuously spitting out gas in efforts to reignite itself and that it was something the first tech should have seen right away and taken care of. For that matter, the first tech should have been able to turn it on with no problem. He also informed us that the reason work had been done was that a meter reader had came out the other day and reported a smell of gas outside the house near the meter, so they came and changed the lock and fixed the leak.

Very annoyed that they reported a leak, but didn't bother to inform us in the meantime. OR bother to inform us that they had been there to fix it. When I questioned the first tech, he had told me that they had changed to a new meter...

Wow, sorry guys that was a ridiculously long story!!

So, other than a cold house for most of the night and a cranky kid this morning, things are going well here
biglaugh.gif

#11 ·
hannabee - sending good thoughts your way! Hope everything is going well!

Kaitlyn - hope you are feeling better!

montessorimama - blood is a good thing! Speaking of which...

I forced DH to have sex with me last night, moaning or no moaning. ;) (Actually, I said something to the effect of, "I'd let you make a deposit if you wanted to," and four seconds later, he was naked. Poor guy, having spent all these weeks with a whiny wife who wants nothing to do with sex.) I woke up at 1am with hard contractions, 10min apart. By 3am they were 7min, DH checked on me and I told him to turn off his alarm, but go back to sleep, because I was sure I was in labor. At 6am, they were 5 minutes apart, the hardest I've had yet, but I was still able to talk through them, but I was so exhausted I could barely keep my eyes open, so I went back to bed. Woke up at 8am, still 5 minutes apart, decided to call the midwife to give her a heads up, but we didn't need her yet.

Shortly after, they petered out.
bawling.gif
And yes, I literally cried, having just spent that much time fully believing that the weeks of prodromal labor were over and this was the real thing.

We decided to head to a store to do some walking, and I sent a text to my midwife, who told me that if I was going to be in her area, I could stop by and she'd do another stretch and sweep if I wanted.

When we got there, I told her that if nothing had changed since she checked me on Monday, she needed to lie to me, otherwise I'd be really upset! Turns out, I dilated another centimeter/centimeter and a half, effaced more, my cervix was a smidge more forward, but very very stretchy and soft. And she could feel a bulging bag of water and baby's head. And this time, unlike on Monday, when her hand came out, there was blood on the glove.

I have never been more excited to see blood in my life.

We stopped for a spicy lunch and walked an entire grocery store. Now we're just relaxing and hoping things pick up again.

#12 ·
I agree ^ that's not OK ever!

Here's my update from my appointment:

Cervix is 80% effaced, no dilation, head is LOW. Blood pressure is a bit higher, lost weight, Nonstress Test turned out really well.

However, mere moments after the Midwife asked me "Are you puking fluids?" of which I answer "Nope" I have to dart for the bathroom and puked all the Gatorade I had consumed in the last several hours. I had three members of the staff waiting outside the bathroom asking if I was OK. lol!

Anyway, tomorrow I have to call to update them IF I'm keeping fluids down, if not I have to go to the hospital and get an IV for fluids. Another appointment Monday to see how I am and have a hopefully "normal" appointment.

She thinks I'm just horribly dehydrated, it doesn't look likely that I have a kidney infection or uti but she prescribed antibiotics just incase, and would rather have me start them and not need them than vice versa. She did want me to go to the hospital after I puked and get hooked up to an IV for fluids but I declined as this was the first time I puked fluids. *sigh* This just sucks!

That's about it in a nutshell..

#13 ·
As someone that spent the majority of my first pregnancy dehydrated...if it does keep up, I would definitely go get the IV. It sucks to have to sit there, but it will make you feel a million times better!!

Hope you get feeling better soon.

#14 ·
Yay Hannabee! Hope labour starts soon for you. Just remember, use towels to catch the gushes, vitamin C every few hours to reduce the (slim) chance of infection, keep an eye on your temperature (every 3 hours or so) and nothing inside you (including exams) if it takes a little while for labour to start.

We finally have a faucet adaptor so test fill of the pool sometime today. I found some plastic to go under it a few weeks ago, but no clue where that is now.

The mess and fighting are really getting to me. I think it's nesting. I just want someplace clean & soothing to birth in & I'm clearly not going to get it. I have done so much work clearing out stuff and it's utterly impossible to tell. There's at least 10 big bags of stuff in the crawl space to donate/sell & I still can't get into my closet to put baby clothes in there. I've literally been in tears a few times. Even when I do get something clean, it's a disaster again with a couple days at most.

Sorry, feeling sorry for myself. *sigh*

My mom called last night; from the hospital. She fell, again. They didn't find any fresh breaks, but she can't put her weight on one leg, so they were keeping her over night at least & sending her for a CT scan today. Hopefully it's minor and she's not going to have to stay with my sister or me while she recovers. Giving birth with her here would be a nightmare. Feel guilty I can't get out to help her since we don't have a car.

Hope everyone is having a great day

#15 ·
Awww Devaskyla... big hugs. Sorry you're still not getting the space you need, and best wishes for your mom's recovery.

Kaitlyn, good to hear it's just dehydration. I hope you're able to keep some fluids down soon and stop feeling so bad!

Redbirdlady, I laughed so hard about your exchange with your husband. I hope things start picking up for you again soon! As another person with ongoing prodromal labor, I so get wanting to be done and being psyched to see blood!

Pilar, yay for your blood too, heh.

And Angela, good luck holding that little one in there til the 20th! How crazy is it to think that even though that sounds sooooo far away (the 20th!), that's still only 2 weeks from now?

Hannabee, I hope things go/are going/went well for you!!

I had a checkup today with a different doctor than I usually see. (Actually, this was one of the CNMs at the same practice.) She did a cervical check at my request and I'm 2.5cm dilated (same as last week) and 50% effaced (up from 0% last week). I had thought that was the case-- I have been doing self-checks every couple of days in the shower and noticed a BIG change in my cervix a couple of days ago. So it's exciting to have that confirmed by a care provider. Though as she and I discussed, this doesn't really mean anything and it could still be weeeeeks...

In other news, I think we finally finally settled on a name for this little guy, which is a huge relief and one bright point in an otherwise pretty gloomy day. My cold is abating too, and all of our "stuff" for the baby is here now, so I'm feeling close to ready to actually have him soon.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

I have done so much work clearing out stuff and it's utterly impossible to tell. There's at least 10 big bags of stuff in the crawl space to donate/sell & I still can't get into my closet to put baby clothes in there. I've literally been in tears a few times. Even when I do get something clean, it's a disaster again with a couple days at most.
Offering at least my understanding... this is me right now. Yesterday I had a total freakout because there are still boxes (stacked to the ceiling in the mama and baby room) to unpack from moving in September. They aren't going to get unpacked. I cried about it yesterday for several hours (which, despite my dry-heaving didn't do anything to help ctx along so I felt really silly). I feel like it's holding me back from birthing some days, even though I know the baby will come eventually... I just want to feel secure in my house and I don't, and it sucks.

I'm sending you all the peace and clarity around cleaning that can be had!

#17 ·
Again, nothing new here today. Had a MW appt this AM but I decline all cervical exams so nothing to report. We mostly just talked about birth plan, how DS1 is going to adjust, and our homes in Maine (which I didn't know she had one too). He's just hanging out in there which I'm good with for now. I got home from work after 8 PM and just got a very stubborn 2 yr old to sleep at 10 PM. Grrrr! This is the first time I've gotten to sit down all day! I guess some of my BH contractions are a bit different....concentrated lower and can feel it a bit in my cervix, but they are still pretty boring and light. Oh well, another day down.

#18 ·
we are now a week overdue. had an nst and checkup yesterday and dp was 2cm and 60% effaced. we are scheduled for an induction on monday if she doesn't come before then. this baby is already large (big brothers were 8lbs 12oz and 8lbs 13oz respectively) and we fully expect at least a 9lb-er.

we've tried walking, epo, acupuncture, membrane sweep....she's just too comfy in there.

please send dp go into labour vibes!! ds2 did not tolerate pitocin and we don't want to go there unless we absolutely have to.

g

#19 ·
Thinking of you both, indigoscot, and sending lots of labor and birth vibes your way!!
goodvibes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoscot View Post

we are now a week overdue. had an nst and checkup yesterday and dp was 2cm and 60% effaced. we are scheduled for an induction on monday if she doesn't come before then. this baby is already large (big brothers were 8lbs 12oz and 8lbs 13oz respectively) and we fully expect at least a 9lb-er.

we've tried walking, epo, acupuncture, membrane sweep....she's just too comfy in there.

please send dp go into labour vibes!! ds2 did not tolerate pitocin and we don't want to go there unless we absolutely have to.

g

#20 ·
39 weeks 3 days and still hanging in there. Not much to report. Got a pedicure last night and they refused to massage my legs and feet because of the pressure points. Kinda annoying because it would have felt so nice. DH promised to give me a good massage tonight though :) I have been eating horribly because all I am craving is carbs and since I am carrying so low I am able to eat a crap ton. Getting a little worried about the baby's size especially if I go 2 weeks late, but I can't say no to buffalo chicken pizza. Oy. One of our two toilets broke and the plumber can't come until Monday so wouldn't mind if baby waited until then as I am sure it will be more convenient for the homebirth if we have two working bathrooms.

Love seeing all your updates each day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.