Checking in with all the new mommas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It seems that many of us have ventured into life with a newborn. I was wondering how it's going with everyone?

So far it's been pretty great for me, aside from the exhaustion.But getting to breastfeed and see her eyes looking up at me, just fills me with so much love. I haven't had problems with breastfeeding yet, except my milk has started coming out so fast it makes Isabel furious. I just have to express a little before she latches on and she's a happy little girl.

Other than that I have felt a bit immobilized, it's been tough to get anything done. I don't know how this would work with any other LO's in the house, my SIL visited yesterday with her two kids, and I just felt exhausted by the time they left. They did leave the house in disarray, the 2 year old mixed the cats water and food together, they both pulled every toy and kid friendly musical instrument off the shelves, scattering them about the house, the 4 year old went around blowing in the harmonica as loudly as possible producing horrible shrieking noises, 2 year old started throwing tantrums because she wanted in the baby swing, and then they all left leaving us to clean it up. This was In stark contrast to our friend who visited bringing her well behaved 1 year old, food she'd prepared for us, and cloth diapers to give us. Friend is visiting again on Thursday, hopefully SIL can give us time to get in the swing of things before bringing her whirlwind for another visit.

Other than that, it's been a mellow week, learning Isabel's cries and figuring out her needs. Lots of picture taking and just staring at her amazed she's mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 PM

Wow, SIL sounds very rude! I would be super angry if someone showed up to make a mess in my house, can't believe she didn't clean up after her kids- I always make a point to when visiting friends just on normal playdate sheesh! I still haven't organized & put away the toys from Xmas so our LOs are making messes all over but grandma was here and finished putting away all my Xmas decorations, doing the laundry and cooking a lot which was so nice. Today is pur first day without grandmas extra set of hands... I'm not exhausted at all surprisingly, but ask me again in a week when my husband goes back to work~~ 

The baby is so awesome. I'm super in love. Everything in my life feels changed, it's such a great feeling. My emotions were a little up & down & all over the first day home though. I suspect more hormonal crying to come, but right now I'm feeling great. So happy to not be pregnant anymore & headed back to feeling like a normal person :P 

Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 AM

Other than the exhaustion I'm enjoying being a mom for the first time.  I am especially enjoying watching my husband be a dad, he's just so amazing with Olive and has been such a help to me too.  I think I love him more now :)

Breastfeeding started out rocky but is getting better.  I still have a hard time keeping her awake at my breast.  Sometimes she is fussing and crying and sucking on her fingers because she is hungry but the instant she gets close to my breast her eyes start to close and she's asleep!  

off topic but- I thought when I wasn't pregnant anymore I wouldn't be hungry in the middle of the night anymore either.  I was wrong! Breastfeeding makes me feel like I've been stranded in the desert without food or water for a month.  I've never been so hungry and thirsty in my life!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinwoo View Post

I am especially enjoying watching my husband be a dad

ditto!

one week postpartum, still recovering with stitches and getting the hang of breastfeeding.  Not as easy as I thought it would be. First couple of days felt like nursing a shark! We have worked really hard on getting he latch right. Still not perfect, but getting better--whew! Seems like he wants to nurse constantly but it takes three or four feedings to empty one side. Not sure if this is inefficient sucking or oversupply, but planning to ask the doc aout it.

Really hope I can be up and about soon! My husband has been doing all the cooking and cleaning, which is a lifesaver. I am going a little nuts with being essentially bedridden, but when I try to cheat and "just do a few things" the swelling gets bad and the stitches pull something awful :(

Still, the little guy is magical.  I love watching him run through all his random facial expressions while he sleeps.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Immobilized is right on for how I'm feeling! E is 9 days old and the only thing I've accomplished since his birth is nursing non-stop 24 hours a day. 

I swear I have up to 3 letdowns per breast per nursing session! He just loves to nurse. I cannot put him down at all...we have to hold him all the time

Anyone else's baby like this too? I swear I must only create babies who love to be held...whats the deal with all the stories of sleepy babies who sleep in swings, bouncing seats and cribs!??!?! I want one---well sort of. I love holding my boy and staring at his absolute perfected creation. Times I wish I had a sleepy baby are when I have to use the bathroom, take a shower and when I really want to sleep all snuggled up with a pillow on my side! I miss that! 

I'm a little concerned that I have absolutely NO appetite or sense of thirst AT ALL. I have to literally force myself to eat every 2 hours and force myself to drink a glass of water. I remember being super hungry when I breastfed in the past. I'm worried about it. My midwife says I have to continue to force myself to eat and drink. She even got my DH on board because I'm finding it hard to remember since my body isn't giving me any cues whatsoever. Thank God he's off of work until the 15th. Anyone else with no appetite? Seems to go against nature here. I might seek out a homeopathic remedy to get my body back on track! 

Anyone else having weird thoughts.....I keep thinking about all the mothers and babies throughout history who have suffered through losses and traumas. I start crying when I think about them. Then I start to feel anxious about how fragile life is and it just makes me cry more! I think I'm losing it! Darn hormones!

To the OP: SIL be gone! That sucks! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunteater View Post

. I am going a little nuts with being essentially bedridden, but when I try to cheat and "just do a few things" the swelling gets bad and the stitches pull something awful :(

Homeopathic Arnica and Calendula are great for healing up quickly after stitches! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys

User Tag List