Effacement vs. Dilation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, I know effacement is the thinning of the cervix, and I know what dilation is...

My question is, does one really effect the other?

My doctor has been telling me for two weeks now that my cervix is getting really thin, but he isn't worried.  He hasn't given me an actual percentage yet, but he is doing an exam after my u/s Wednesday, so i will find out then. 

I am wondering if because my cervix has thinned so much, if it is likely that I am dilated as well.  I don't want to get my hopes up and then have the check up and find out nothing is going on in that department.

For those of you who have already had children, did your cervix thin quicker with each birth?

What numbers has everyone else been getting with effacement and dilation lately? 

I can't remember how effaced I was with my previous pregnancy, but I know I was at 2-3 cm for a couple of weeks before I had my firstborn.

With all the BH I have had, i am hoping for some high numbers!!!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#2 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 PM

I'm probably not much help b/c I don't know the exact answer, but I've never heard of someone that was really effaced without being somewhat dilated.  With my first I don't remember my midwives saying anything about effacement at all.  This time, I'm not getting any cervical checks (until at least 41 weeks when I'll ask for membrane sweeps) because I don't want to get my hopes up and be disappointed, or get frustrated that nothing is happening.  I'm interested to learn/hear what others say!

#3 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Really, neither number matters that much in terms of when you'll go into labor. Some women walk around dilated to a 4 and 80% effaced for three weeks.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#4 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

crashing this thread..

When I was admitted into the hospital (first baby), I had contractions 2-3 minutes apart. I was 1 cm dilated and my cervix was 'paper thin'. I had been 1cm dilated the day before (at 40 weeks) and was really disappointed when I heard that I made no 'progress.' 

My baby came an hour later-- I had gone to sit on the toilet to ease the contractions, and delivered her into the toilet bowl. 

chilichiki likes this.

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#5 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It's common for first time moms to efface before dilating and for experienced moms to have more dilation than effacement before birth. They do have an effect on the other to a point, for example, a woman who is 6cm is not likely to be only 50% effaced. But you can be nearly 100% effaced and only 1-2cm dilated. It also seems to be more common that a woman is more likely to be closer to beginning labor once she reaches 80% effaced than if her cervix is any thicker, like at 70%-75%.

Mother, wife, doula, and lactivist.
#6 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

the doctor made it sound like I was effacing quicker because this was my second pregnancy.  They have been telling me for weeks now that my cervix was thinning and debating whether or not to put me on bedrest.

I am going to be really ticked off if it turns out I am not dilated/only dilated 1 or 2 cm!!!  I feel like with all this BH and discomfort there should be something more going on there!!!   irked.gif

Then again, maybe since this is my second and I am already effacing relatively quickly...I may be dilated more than that!!

AAAHHH!!! Wednesday get here already!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#7 of 7 Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 AM

My ob hasn't said anything about effacement and I didn't ask but I've been at ~2 cm since last week and have had loads and loads of bh (and maybe some "real" ctx) so i was a little aggravated after my appt today...but I guess that's why all the experienced mamas will tell you not to ask/get checks....and everyone says it doesn't matter so I'm trying to feel that orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

I am going to be really ticked off if it turns out I am not dilated/only dilated 1 or 2 cm!!!  I feel like with all this BH and discomfort there should be something more going on there!!!   irked.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page