It's normal, right? (whine included) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That my baby only sleeps when held in arms (mostly mine--while using my boob as a pillow) or actually nursing?? If your breastfed baby can sleep even an hour at a time in a crib, swing, bouncy seat or what-not, how do you do it?? How do you put them down so they don't wake up 2 minutes later?? I tried swaddling. Doesn't work. I tried white noise, no lights...etc. Still doesn't work. I bought a bouncy seat yesterday that actually bounces ever so gently (kinda like it's on springs) and that doesn't work either. At night, I have to sleep with E in my arms, surrounded by pillows with a boppy under him. My whole body is aching from sleeping this position and I'm feeling kinda blah from not being able to really truly sleep. I wake to every whimper, fart and squirm with him right on my chest. Help!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Totally normal, sorry.  :)

Bring back the old MDC
Old 01-15-2012, 06:02 PM

Very normal.  When my daughter was a little older I would bounce her to sleep on my birthing ball.. kind of violently bounce.. in hopes that she would be fine when I stood up, walked through the house and laid her down.  Sometimes it worked, most of the time it didn't.  I thought I was going to have it easy with my son who has been in the NICU for 3 months.  He has learned to go to sleep in a crib with lots of noise and lights.  After being home for 3 days he has quickly decided he would much rather sleep on us than in the crib.  He now fusses every time I lay him down. 

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

ok, I thought so! I'll keep sticking to my mantra, "they are only this little once". I love my boy. I don't mind staring at him all day long. I really don't. It's the nighttime that's hard...I wish I could put him in the co-sleeper and fall into a deep sleep once or twice a night. Oh well. I know it goes so so fast. I need to let it go that my baby(ies) don't sleep through the night and they don't like to be put down etc....and just be grateful that they are here with me! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 PM

Awe I'm sorry :( I want to give ya a hug! And yep totally normal. Baby Nico will sleep great if I'm in bed right next to him but then as soon as I move away, he's instantly awake (but still sleepy). I didn't noticed right away because I was mostly resting all day last week, but now that I'm up and about it's because more apparent. We have a swing but he's only really slept in it once for a successful amount of time. The other day I put him down for a minute & noticed he really liked just sitting in his car seat... and he slept 3 hours in it! Yay, I did the dishes and laundry haha it was so nice! Ours is really snuggly so try that! Wrap him in a blanket and put him in the car seat. Good luck! I think the swings and bouncers seem to soothe them more when they are a month or so old. As for sleep, I'd say just lay him in bed next to you... if he's fussy keep nursing & burping, nursing & burping. 

PS- Are your babies gassy? Nico passes (loud) gas & poos CONSTANTLY haha. I don't remember quite as much farting from the previous babies~~ He also gets fussy anytime he has to pass gas or poo, but then is quickly relieved and comfortable again. 

Old 01-16-2012, 03:27 AM

Our little girl also likes physical contact. She can sleep through the circus of noises echoing through our place (her big brother is a wild 2.5-year-old), but she often wakes up when I move her. I think it's because she enjoys the warmth of contact.

A few things that (sometimes) work with her:

- Feeding her from a side-lying position at night, then leaving her next to me once she falls asleep.

- Setting her on a folded baby banket on my lap, then moving the entire blanket+baby to her bed.

- Setting hot water bottles in her side bed, then placing her there with blankets on top.

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Normal in our house as well.  I always have good swing-sleepers, but have never had a baby who will sleep in a crib on their own until at least 12 months or is into the bouncy seat.

Definitely try nursing side-lying.  That's how I always end my night - side lying nursing, and when the baby wakes up for the middle of the night feed, I barely have to move.  My babies tend to be "trained" after a few months to be able to find my boob all by themselves at night.

People always get on me when I whine at the end of my pregnancies about not being able to sleep, but I sleep SO WELL *after* the baby comes out, because they aren't moving INSIDE me anymore and I don't have to get up to pee 400 times a night.  Remember, the baby has been all curled up in a warm place listening to your heartbeat and breathing for months, so it's just what they are used to.  :)

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

Old 01-18-2012, 12:57 AM

I swaddle my babies and then nurse them side-lying.  If Liam gets fussy after a nursing I just put him in the crook of my arm.  I sleep pretty well, I can fall asleep nursing him and I can usually get a couple good stretches in.  I swaddle him and nursing him a couple of times a day, and lay him down in his cradle after he is asleep to try and get him used to taking naps alone.  Hope you manage to get some sleep!

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif

User Tag List