How's everyone doing??? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 99 Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tummy time - my older son HATED it and we never did it.  I read somewhere that wearing the baby is strengthening the same muscles as tummy time so for those of us that wear the babies, tummy time isn't really necessary.  My older son certainly showed no developmental problems - crawling at 6 months, walking at 10 months.  I haven't even thought about trying it with Eli yet, but he does spend hours a day being worn.

Today we had a consult with a lactation consultant because no matter what I tried, I couldn't get his latch perfect and my poor nipples are never going to heal.  We found out he has a very high palate and possibly a mild, posterior tongue tie.  Luckily, he's getting plenty of milk, but we have a new technique for latching (which so far he hates - but is much better for me) and lots of exercises to practice getting him to stick his tongue out, sucking exercises, and massage techniques for his face/jaw.  We will also continue to go to the chiro weekly.  I also need to have my midwife call in a special compounded nipple ointment (developed my Jack Newman in Canada) because I have such deep fissures that could get infected.  She made me feel so much better telling me stories about how all 4 of her kids were so different and she had the most trouble with her 3rd.  I was seriously feeling dumb for not being able to figure this out since I just nursed DS1 for over 2 years.  She also said it's hard to go from nursing a toddler who can essentially help themselves, to nursing an infant who has to be guided and helped with latch, etc.  Hopefully all these tricks will help us!  If not, we'll see a cranial-sacral therapist and as a last resort an ENT to have his tongue evaluated. 

I don't know where today went!   I had a bunch of errands I needed to do but ran out of time.  Looks like I'll be attempting them with 2 kiddos tomorrow!

#62 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 12:29 PM

I can't believe I'm typing! And with two hands! Today I voluntarily put R in the moses basket in a rocker next to the computer for the first time... she'll be six weeks old on Tuesday! She stopped liking having her legs froggied in the carriers. She wants to stretch and I don't blame her. She was nearly 12lbs at her 4 week check up and she's just a big girl. We're planning to take her out in the stroller the next sunny day (so in like two weeks probably, we are expecting lots of rain). (Can I get the record for longest babymoon ever? I still have only left the house once, to go to the midwives... they did home visits for a month!) 

She's a velcro-glue baby: will not sleep unless rocked or nursed there, and for now I don't really care. I'm sure I'm getting some nice arm muscles. DH holds her as well, so I can do things like wash or eat. I'm in school right now though (via distance thank goddess) so it's hard to keep up, lots of typing from my phone which is super annoying (That's why I haven't been on MDC to be honest, their site doesn't work well on my phone, hoping to get on joining the yahoo group today).

R is doing well though. AMAZING nurser, thankfully. Has been from hour one, she can turn a crappy latch into a good one just by hoovering herself on there. Little nipple pain for me, and I love nursing. I love the little cooing noises she makes...Something had to go right after her intense birth.

I do have an overactive letdown and oversupply. Block feeding and waiting until I stop spraying milk has helped. It also has come and gone a few times. MW said that's because R's body tells mine when to make more milk when she's gearing up for a growth spurt, but she can't always handle it right away. That makes sense, because when I first struggled with overactive letdown she would choke and sputter, but then adjusted to it and just GULPED that milk down (seriously I would get a soft boob in like 10 minutes!) Then it started up again a few days ago after about ten days of no trouble, so we're coping again...

My carpal tunnel finally left about a week ago, but my pelvis is still sore. I'm getting by on advil. DH is wanting to be intimate, and frankly I feel funny just getting turned on (I guess when extra blood heads down there?) so I actually have tried to avoid it because it just feels so WEIRD. I miss having attention paid to my girls other than by a nursing baby, but again it feels weird (have tried, it's just too much stimulation.) We also cosleep (I couldn't imagine not) so between that and hardly putting R down it's not like there is much time. 

Does anyone know if babies can have trauma from a rough birth? Sometimes when R has her startle reflex and is looking at a light she FREAKS... similar to her first moment of post-womb consciousness probably, with an 02 mask on :( She is blessedly able to be comforted with cuddling from mama and a little nursing, but I worry that she's retained some scary memories. She also clenches one of her fists so tight it turns purple, held right by her face, when she's upset. Anyone else notice anything like this?

I've read everyone's updates and I love hearing about your babies, keep it coming!

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#63 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 12:29 PM

PS: We are trying tummy time for about 10 seconds at a time, working up from there. That's all she cares to do, frankly!

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#64 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good to hear from you, cedarwoman!  I am also struggling with oversupply issues...not fun!  Luckily, even with a shallow latch, all that milk has put my little one up to 10lbs...that's 3 full pounds in 5 weeks!

In regards to your question about infants and traumatic birth, there is much research backing the fact that how we are birthed can affect how we behave as people, and yes, traumatic birth can cause a type of PTSD in infants and children (though this doesn't mean that all infants who have complicated births have PTSD).  Check out the Association for Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Health (http://birthpsychology.com/).  They are also on facebook.  

Also, I was froggying my Sprout's legs when putting her in the Moby wrap, and then was told at a babywearing meeting that the newest babywearing guidelines say no more froggying.  I had no idea.  Apparently, even with tiny infants, their knees are supposed to be bent and their little feet and legs stick out of either side of the wrap, like this: http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?366752-6th-COTW-*FWCC-and-PWCC*-13-Nov&p=3980541&viewfull=1#post3980541  (scroll down to post #23).  Anyway, baby girl was much happier in the wrap when she was able to stretch out her legs! innocent.gif

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#65 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombjuice View Post

In regards to your question about infants and traumatic birth, there is much research backing the fact that how we are birthed can affect how we behave as people, and yes, traumatic birth can cause a type of PTSD in infants and children (though this doesn't mean that all infants who have complicated births have PTSD).  Check out the Association for Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Health (http://birthpsychology.com/).  They are also on facebook.  

Agreed! As a homeopath, often times I'll start treating pregnancy and/or birth trauma before anything else....especially in a baby or young child. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#66 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

I am over the moon today because I finally figured out what works for my baby to nap and sleep at night!  It's a topponcino (http://thefullmontessori.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/topponcino/), and when combined with white noise it is the biggest blessing EVER!!  He's been asleep for over an hour, which is an 

wow!! that looks neat...do you swaddle him before you hold him in it?

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#67 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 PM

Hi mamas!
I've read all posts over here during nursing sessions:)
Bubsie is sleeping on my lap on a breastfeeding pillow, he refuses to sleep anywhere alone. And i still cant master my woven wrap greensad.gif he bends and sits weird in it. Will have another try today.

hijab.gif  rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif K born Jan 2012 now we are bfinfant.gif familybed1.gif and learning how to slingboy.gif and CD

baby R brokenheart.gif Oct 2011.

#68 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM

P.s we started CD yesterday! Blueberry bamboo diapers are amazing so far. I also have softbums, blueberry regular one and grovia. Havent tried those yet though. No more red butt, no more diaper rash yay!

hijab.gif  rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif K born Jan 2012 now we are bfinfant.gif familybed1.gif and learning how to slingboy.gif and CD

#69 of 99 Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Stupid iPad crashed when I was typing up my message... grrr... As if I had so much time to type...

cedar - Glad to hear block nursing is going well! I am doing it, too, as well as expressing a little milk when my letdown is crazy strong.

wombjuice - Thanks for the info on babywearing. Z. never liked the newborn hold in the Moby so we've been doing the kangaroo hold since the beginning, and he does really well with his legs spread out. I tried him in the Ergo without the infant insert but it's still a little big for him, so we'll stick to the Moby for now. What carrier are you using?

kindermama - I don't swaddle Z. because he hates it with a passion, but you could certainly do it before placing the baby in the topponcino if your baby likes to be swaddled. What I do is that I wrap a blanket around the whole thing (baby and topponcino), and I tuck in the ends of the blanket under the topponcino after I place the baby down on his bed. Kind of like a giant baby burrito. smile.gif

always praying - I heard that bamboo inserts are not as absorbent as cotton. What are your thoughts? Glad they seem to be working for you!

AFM, baby is sleeping really well at night... Two nights ago he slept a 6-hr stretch and last night he slept a 5-hr stretch!! It was also the first night he slept in his own room, which is right next to ours and connected by a sliding door, so it's not as if he's down the hall. The reason we had to move him is because he needs white noise to sleep, and hubby can't sleep with the white noise, so we had to find a solution. Z. did sooo well, I'm really proud of him. smile.gif I'm freaking out about the white noise and developmental delays in hearing, based on some studies my hubby pulled from the internet. I wonder if there's a way of weaning baby? When he sleeps in my arms or on hubby's chest he doesn't need the white noise, but when he's in his bed he definitely does! I guess I'll try putting the noisemaker on a timer, and reducing the volume a little every few days until it's off. Any thoughts?

Finally, yesterday I got the royal treatment... I got pooped on, peed on, and thrown up on - all on the same day. smile.gif I am officially a mommy, and I laughed through all three incidents.

Enjoy your weekends, ladies!!!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#70 of 99 Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM

Hey ladies!  I'm in the camp of always reading but rarely having hands free to write a reply!

We're dealing with oversupply here too.  Block feeding has no discernible effect on my supply but I do it anyway because my guy nurses for such short spurts (he gets so much so fast that he's over and done in < 5 minutes typically) there's no point in switching boobs.  Wren handles the oversupply much better than my older son though.  He will pop off, let the milk spray, wait, latch back on.  He doesn't spit up hardly at all which is amazing after my first son, the reflux king.  He's gaining a little more slowly too, but is still up over 3 lbs in 4 weeks.

Pilar, I laughed at your "royalty treatment" post.  My older son had a day like that early on... Which was coincidentally the day he started smiling.  I think he knew he had to make it up to me!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#71 of 99 Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Is anyone else utterly shocked by how sweet, helpful, and cooperative and older sibling has been?  I was so worried about having to be home alone with my 2.5 yr old and the baby this week, but I must say, it was wonderful.  DS1 was an angel!  He listened, helped (and got really excited when I asked him to go get something), cooperated, and understood that he had to play independently a lot while I nursed.  I was prepared for jealousy, potty regression, etc.  I didn't know how he was going to react to me nursing the baby since he just weaned.  It's really amazing.  Out of nowhere he will say "Mommy, I love Eli".  It melts my heart!

On a really funny note - I was nursing Eli and then started burping him but I hadn't pulled up my shirt yet because I didn't know if he was done.  DS1 looked at me, pointed to my boob, and said "Put that away, Mommy!"  Where does a 2.5 yr old come up with this stuff!  His other favorite random fact to tell everyone is that his belly button used to be his cord.  So weird!

So, time to nurse again!

#72 of 99 Old 02-18-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

I also wanted to recommend a Milk Saver for anyone pumping milk to use, donate, save, etc.  It collects the milk that leaks from the opposite side while baby is nursing.  I can easily get 1-2 oz of milk with each feeding that would otherwise be wasted.  I may not have to pump until I go back to work!  Yay!!

http://www.mymilkies.com/

#73 of 99 Old 02-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

montessorimama, I use a German-style Woven (GSW) wrap...the brand is Didymos.  It's similar to a Moby in that it is a very long piece of fabric, but it is woven fabric, not knitted...so it is not stretchy at all.  Very versatile, and I'll be wearing her on my back soon.  I also use a stretchy Sleepy Wrap (same thing as the Moby, different brand name).  We also have a Mei Tai and a Maya Ring Sling...my husband uses those two more than I do, but we both prefer wrapping right now. smile.gif

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#74 of 99 Old 02-19-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinwoo View Post

We are doing well.  It's been so long since I've been on here, time flies! LO is sleeping for longer stretches at night which is great for me :)

I think I have one of those babies that would nurse all day if she could.  I had to introduce a pacifier because she was demanding my boobs all. the. time. but she gets upset when the milk flows (obviously except when she's actually hungry). The pacifier has been my lifesaver for bedtime though.  She has learned to put herself to sleep with just a little help from me (rocking her).  Before the pacifier I would have to rock her for like 40 minutes every time she woke up!  I kind of hate the pacifier though.  I sometimes worry that I'm just "shutting her up" with it.  I try not to give it too much but some days all she wants to do is suck!

I've tried to put her on her stomach to strengthen those muscles but she hates it.  She usually starts wailing almost immediately, anyone else have a baby who hates stomach lying?

We are CDing during the day and using disposable at night for absorbency purposes.  I would like to find a good CD system for night time. Also, LO blows out the legs of her cloth diapers.  I started putting the snappy lower, across her hips which seems to help.  Is there any other way to keep the poop in? :)

If you google it, there are lots of tips for making them like tummy time more. The lying on your chest one that someone suggested is good. Also getting down with them on the floor and talking to them. Stuff like that.

As for the cloth diapering stuff, I'm guessing since you're talking about the snappi that you're using prefolds? Have you tried different folds? This site has some options with pictures: http://diaperpages.com/pf_folds.php We've just started using prefolds with covers for this babe, so I'm new to it myself, but I'm really liking the bikini twist because it forms a "poop pocket" that holds the poop (unless it's a really forceful one, then sometimes it goes all the way through the twist to the other side). A lot of people like the jelly roll one for EBF poo too from what I've heard. What do you mean "a good CD system for night time"? I just use the prefolds and I'm contemplating putting a fleece liner to keep the wetness away from DD2 because she doesn't wake much so some nights she's in the same diaper for all or most of the night and she gets a bit red. If absorbency is a problem, have you tried either changing more frequently or adding a doubler? What kind of covers are you using at night? I've found that fleece and wool covers keep leaks in a lot better than PUL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

Marinwoo my girl's a sucker too, but she won't really take to a pacifier. I have to use my finger to get her to sleep (eventually) at night.
Please tell me it's normal that they cry so much... today has been tough.

Some babies do just cry a lot, but I've been wondering lately if my first would have cried as much if I would have nursed her first thing like I do with this one. I was always trying to find ways to soothe her that didn't involve nursing whereas with this one I've just put the boob in her mouth every time she starts fussing and she hardly cries. I'm sure that my first would have still cried more because she was (and is) very high needs, but I think she may have cried less if I wasn't always thinking "Well you just ate an hour ago, so that can't be it."

Also, is nursing to sleep not an option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombjuice View Post

Alright, I'm going to finish a post if it kills me! lol.gif

Baby girl is a little over one month old now!  She was 6lbs 12oz at birth (Jan 12th), and now she weighs 10lbs (as of this morning)!!  I make TONS of milk, which is good because her latch is not so good.  She has a LONG tongue, and no frenulum (seriously, none at all), and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the fact that she cannot maintain good suction most of the time.  Also, I am small with very large, soft breasts, so I have to hold my breast the whole time she eats or my nipple just flops out of her mouth.  I didn't really have any nipple pain until about a week ago, and now my nipples are sore.  I'm going to a La Leche League meeting this Thursday to see if anyone can help me.

I had to cut a bunch of foods out of my diet because at around 2 weeks old, she was getting really gassy at around 2am every night.  I'm already vegan, and after cutting out soy, wheat, corn, onions, garlic, beans, peanuts, cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cabbage, etc.)...I'm back on 100% raw vegan.  I was worried that my milk supply might go down (and maybe that would be a good thing?  I think I have an oversupply...), but it didn't!  Not at all!  And now the weight is just falling off me and going right to the baby.  And the gassiness pretty much went away!  Yay!

DH and I haven't really done much other than spend time with our new little lovebug.  I've been skyping my classes and DH does online school, so we've only really gone out to do small errands.  But, next week is my first day back to school, and it's a 3-hour commute.  That wouldn't be all that bad if baby girl didn't absolutely HATE the carseat.  She screams her head off in it and turns purple.  It's horrible!!  So I broke down and bought an orthodontic pacifier...I haven't opened it yet, but I've decided I'm going to give it to her the next time we ride in the car.  It will be for car rides only.  I've been really torn about this because I simply did not want to give her a pacifier...but I can't give her the breast while she's riding in her car seat, so I don't feel I have much of a choice. greensad.gif

That's all I can think of for now!  Happy Valentine's Day, Mamas!! love.gif

I thought about getting DD2 a pacifier for the car seat too because she screams bloody murder sometimes, but I realized that I'll never be able to keep grandmas unaware and they'll decide that they can get a pacifier too for when they watch her and I know that would spiral out of control.

This list of tips is copied from Twitter from

1. Dress baby lightly! Infant seat is just an insulated bucket & crying makes baby even warmer! Do not overdress w/clothing or blankets.

3. Take out horseshoe-shaped "Head Support". It doesn't support head (2 rolled diapers do better) AND it's like wearing a winter coat hood.

4. Play Nice Music, Loudly, and sing along. If baby is crying, music must be loud so she'll hear it. Gradually lower volume if baby calms.

7. Choose routes where you will not have to stop in traffic as much. Babies seem to hate red lights even more than we do! Highways rock.

8. No backseat mirrors! Trying to keep an eye on crying baby in the rearview is as distracting as texting. If you're worried, pls pull over.

9. Get where you're going, then soothe the baby. Stopping to comfort every 5 min. prolongs the agony if usually cries again when u continue.

10. Consider trying rear-facing convertible seat to see if helps. Even if it doesn't, you'll still need it in 6-12 mo. so not a waste of $$.

11.Keep yourself, diaper bag, carseat ready to go at a moment's notice. When baby falls asleep in your arms, transfer to seat and head out!

12. Don't let "car-hating baby" keep you at home. Isolation is really not good for a . If you have somewhere to go, please do go.

13. Perfect the "over the shoulder drop". Keep ittle box of teethers/toys in front seat & drop one on baby's lap as needed for distraction.

15. IF you use a paci work on helping baby learn to put in mouth herself as much as possible starting 4-5 m. This helps in car AND at night.

16. Try to time for success. If baby is big car-crier & big spitter, don't feed just b4 leaving. If usually sleeps 10 AM, might nap in car.

17. Good rule of thumb for road-trips: Drive as long as baby sleeps. When she wakes, time for rest-stop, everyone eats, stretches, bathroom.

18. Keep extra emergency car supplies in trunk always: spare diapers, wipes, baby outfit, t-shirt for mom, cereal bar & bottle of water.

19. If have attached garage DON'T warm up car or finish baby nap w/car running EVEN w/garage door open. Air intake for house may pull in CO.

20. Rear Facing safest for babies & toddlers. Don't feel bad: they don't know different. So much safer for neck and spine if any impact.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#75 of 99 Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 AM

Thanks LG, this is great!  We're planning our first car trip in June and although our LO likes the carseat, we haven't done long outings yet and things could change!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#76 of 99 Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM

Just in from the drive to see the midwives... what works for R is to put her in the carseat, drive 5 min (she cries the whole time no matter how calm she starts out), pull over, nurse until she calms down, back in the carseat, continue on and she sleeps the whole 45 min drive!

Thinking I must be doing something right w/this girl: she's 13lbs even at 6 wks, up from 8lbs 8oz at birth!

#77 of 99 Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Eli is 3 weeks old and still such an easy baby!  As long as he's fed, he's happy, smiles, sleeps for a couple hours at a time either in a carrier, swing, or co-sleeper.  I'm actually pretty well rested despite having my older son home all week (no naps!).  It was beautiful out today so we walked to the playground with a neighbor.  It was Eli's first trip in the Ergo since we've only used a sling at home and out running errands.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 68 degrees F.  Yay!

I'm a bit depressed that I still have 30 pounds to lose.  I'm pretty sure all the baby/fluid/placenta/etc weight is gone and the scale hasn't moved much in the past week.  I worry a bit about cutting calories too much and having it decrease my milk supply.  I have to look up again what the extra calorie requirement is when breastfeeding - unless someone knows off the top of your head.  My husband is currently carrying in an elliptical that he bought from a co-worker for $50 (a total steal) because they are moving.  I have no excuse to sit on my butt now when baby is sleeping!

Breast feeding is going better and my LC sent my an attachment about the "laid back" position for breastfeeding.  It seems to be helping him get a deeper latch and it not so painful for me.  I can't wait to get this straightened out!  My poor nipples are slowly healing with the APNO (all purpose nipple ointment) and lots of air exposure.  I hope my neighbors don't look into our windows very often!  I now know why so many people quit BFing so early without significant support and determination! 

In a couple weeks we are off on a road trip from Baltimore to FL.  On the way home we'll stop in GA to visit my husband's grandmother so she can meet her 2nd great-grandson and we'll stop in NC to visit friends.  I figure we might as well spend my maternity leave in the sun and on the beach!  We did a similar trip with DS1 when he was 5-9 weeks old.  From NC to GA, to VT and Maine.  This time will be a bit harder with a toddler, too but I'm still really looking forward to it!

#78 of 99 Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneboymum View Post

I'm a bit depressed that I still have 30 pounds to lose.  I'm pretty sure all the baby/fluid/placenta/etc weight is gone and the scale hasn't moved much in the past week.  I worry a bit about cutting calories too much and having it decrease my milk supply.  I have to look up again what the extra calorie requirement is when breastfeeding - unless someone knows off the top of your head.  My husband is currently carrying in an elliptical that he bought from a co-worker for $50 (a total steal) because they are moving.  I have no excuse to sit on my butt now when baby is sleeping!

I feel your pain, the scale hasn't moved for me either!  It doesn't help that I lost tons of blood and was under strict orders not to overdo it in the exercise department.  Even now I get tired after walking only one mile, when before I used to pound the pavement for an hour or more (even 9 months pregnant!!).  We want to get pregnant again in about a year, but I'm afraid of gaining another 60 lbs. on top of the 30 I haven't lost yet.  I don't feel like I'm eating very fatty foods (especially since I stopped eating butter when I cut out dairy) so it's probably something hormonal that's preventing my body from shedding the weight.  Oh well...

We have our first pediatrician appt this afternoon.  I'm not sure what to expect since we're not vax'ing yet.  I wish we didn't have to go, but hubby wants to establish a "record" with the ped in case of an emergency (and I guess it makes sense).  I just want them to weigh him to see how much my chunky monkey has gained!

Yesterday I ate some crackers without looking at the ingredients, and when I did I discovered that the first ingredient was buttermilk (I have a casein allergy and think Z. also has a sensitivity to it)... Fast forward to last night, and I spent 90 minutes trying to put Z. to sleep, he was irritable, gassy, and fussy!!  I gave up and somehow my husband was able to get him to sleep at 11pm.  Fun night!  Then the dog decides that she's going to cough and dry heave throughout the night because (unbeknownst to me) she ate a bag of potato chips.  And then the baby wakes up at 3am and can't get back to sleep because he's still gassy... Fun times!! sleepytime.gif

#79 of 99 Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Add me to the disappointed list..I gained +/- 60 lbs and lost about 25 within a week but still need to lose 40 to get back to my prebaby weight. I'm so discouraged. I lost 65 lbs right before getting pregnant..now I have to do it all over again. ): Now I'm left with even wider (and fatter hips), a big ole stretched out belly pooch, and hella fat thighs. Oh..and a cute baby. I look real marketable for the dating scene when I'm ready *sarcasm*

I'm in the market for an elliptical and Jillian Michaels workout dvds..used her before, she's fierce. Though any time I increase activity the blood comes back. THIS SUCKS!

K, complaining session over.

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#80 of 99 Old 02-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Big sympathy to everyone dealing with the remaining weight.  I gained 53 lbs with this guy and lost 30 instantly... Then 4 more over the next 2 weeks... And now nothing for 3 weeks.  It's frustrating because I'm getting a ton of exercise and eating well and yeah, nothing.  But I take heart in the fact that I gained even more with my first-- 55 lbs-- and lost that all within a year.  It'll come.  It's a cliche but it's true... It takes us 9 months to put on the weight, we should give ourselves 9 months to get it off.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#81 of 99 Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM

I think I gained about 40 pounds (didn't really weigh myself those last 2 weeks) and I lost about 25 without doing anything. I now have 15 to go that I need to get serious about. I have had an insane appetite so I have to really watch what I am eating. I've been trying to walk more, but it is a little tricky making sure baby girl is fed, dry and relatively content, and that it is the right time of day to walk outside (in FL we have to worry about heat still!). Next week I will be 4 weeks PP and feeling ready to start yoga again.

This girl is definitely a spirited one. Lately she's had a "witching hour" (or hours), where she is awake from 10pm to 1am and fussy. She'll nurse until spitting it all back up if I am not careful, so daddy and I have to take turns trying every soothing method, then nurse, then soothe, until she finally conks out. I don't think I'd consider her "colicky" as she's not screaming, she stays rather quiet as long as we're bouncing, walking, etc, just won't fall asleep and stay asleep... This too shall pass.

This is a completely not fun topic, but did anyone here deal with anal fissures? How did you clear them up?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#82 of 99 Old 02-23-2012, 03:16 PM

Oh Element..sorry to hear about your bum ): I only have experience with the 'roids. Would Tucks help with your issue?

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#83 of 99 Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 PM

Montessorimama, so far bamboo works great and so is cotton. Didnt notice much difference in absorbency. Baby's bum is clear of any rash that we had with sposies, thank God. So far our absolute fav diapers are blueberry bamboo, and least fav are ordinary blueberries, they are horrible, so rough and rigid and leaking all the time. Softbums are also not bad, echo shell ones. Grovia -too bulky for a newborn imho, will use them later when he is bigger.

Our baby is super fussy. Has that one thing that drives me crazy cuz i cant figure out why he is doing it. In the middle of feeding starts pulling the breast, make angry noises, fuss and cry. It was going on for few days already. Things are worse during the day and a bit better during the night.

Regarding extra weight. Im so happy to finally live without pregnant belly that indont notice anything else. Im still big though no doubt

#84 of 99 Old 02-23-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

I think I gained about 40 pounds (didn't really weigh myself those last 2 weeks) and I lost about 25 without doing anything. I now have 15 to go that I need to get serious about. I have had an insane appetite so I have to really watch what I am eating. I've been trying to walk more, but it is a little tricky making sure baby girl is fed, dry and relatively content, and that it is the right time of day to walk outside (in FL we have to worry about heat still!). Next week I will be 4 weeks PP and feeling ready to start yoga again.
This girl is definitely a spirited one. Lately she's had a "witching hour" (or hours), where she is awake from 10pm to 1am and fussy. She'll nurse until spitting it all back up if I am not careful, so daddy and I have to take turns trying every soothing method, then nurse, then soothe, until she finally conks out. I don't think I'd consider her "colicky" as she's not screaming, she stays rather quiet as long as we're bouncing, walking, etc, just won't fall asleep and stay asleep... This too shall pass.
This is a completely not fun topic, but did anyone here deal with anal fissures? How did you clear them up?

Even when they spit up, it's only a very small amount of the contents of their stomach. Even then, nursing actually helps them to digest what's in their belly. I've had issues with oversupply and forceful letdown, which makes her spit up even more than the average baby. It helps to block nurse. Possibly you could do that when your babe is fussy?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#85 of 99 Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 AM

element.... I am dealing with fissures, too.  I don't know what to do to clear them up but the issue is driving me crazy!  I am trying to keep things moving and soft so I don't have to push at all and I'm using a cloth to hold the really sensitive spot.  That helps a lot.  I am also using witch hazel.  It seems to be getting a bit better but unfortunately I am still bleeding every time I go.  Let me know if you find anything that works.  I am also going to talk to my midwife at our appt. on Monday to see if she has any other advice.  I hope things clear up for you soon because they are so painful!

#86 of 99 Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 AM

A friend sent this to me today...I have to say I am guilty of 99% of this...too funny!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#87 of 99 Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM

"What if I just lay here?"  HAhahahah!  I've so done that!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#88 of 99 Old 02-24-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysPraying View Post

Montessorimama, so far bamboo works great and so is cotton. Didnt notice much difference in absorbency. Baby's bum is clear of any rash that we had with sposies, thank God. So far our absolute fav diapers are blueberry bamboo, and least fav are ordinary blueberries, they are horrible, so rough and rigid and leaking all the time. Softbums are also not bad, echo shell ones. Grovia -too bulky for a newborn imho, will use them later when he is bigger.
Our baby is super fussy. Has that one thing that drives me crazy cuz i cant figure out why he is doing it. In the middle of feeding starts pulling the breast, make angry noises, fuss and cry. It was going on for few days already. Things are worse during the day and a bit better during the night.
Regarding extra weight. Im so happy to finally live without pregnant belly that indont notice anything else. Im still big though no doubt

My babe does the same, and i noticed he usually needs to burp or pass gas at that point and then he's better.

#89 of 99 Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 AM

Yep but he does it even after burping, gas and whatnot. Couldnt sleep more than 10 min because of that. Yesterday I started swaddling his arms and he stopped doing it!

#90 of 99 Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysPraying View Post

Yep but he does it even after burping, gas and whatnot. Couldnt sleep more than 10 min because of that. Yesterday I started swaddling his arms and he stopped doing it!

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/fussy-while-nursing.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page