Taking LO out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mamas, how long did you wait to start taking your LO out? What trips do you feel comfortable taking them on?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have older kids so there's no option of staying home.  By one week we had already done it all - grocery store, restaurant, post office, shopping, etc.  Yesterday (2.5 weeks) I was in a sess pool of germs with the baby...at my daughter's elementary school.

Come to think of it, even when I only had one I was out early.  I guess I'm more of a "firing squad" mother...

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 02-11-2012, 08:11 PM

Whoaa I'm here mamas. long time..

Anyway, I took LO out when she was 4 days old. She'll be a month now on the 18th (holy crap) and we went out to dinner tonight. I baby wear so I think that might reduce the amount of germs she manages to come in contact with? Don't know about you mamas but when I was still working there were too many people who thought it was OK to touch other people's babies - HELL NO. Anyway, LO has been out only a select few times but she's really an easy baby..she sleeps through it all.

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 PM

Hi Kaitlyn!!  Did you join the yahoo group?

Eli is 11 days old an we've been to my work, grocery store, other shopping, etc.  I also wear him in a sling so no one touches him and he's not exposed to much.  I don't have a problem taking him out places.  We'll be doing even more next week after my mom leaves and I have to take DS1 to daycare, etc.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 PM

I tried joining and received the acceptance email then when I attempted to login Yahoo said I wasn't registered *rolls eyes* so I think I got it straightened out and sent another request. (:

I don't know about everyone else's LOs but Baby V is awake for a whole 5 minutes in the carrier and then zonks out. Same thing in the car. I'm so lucky, she's a great baby. Minus her 5 hour awake stretches some days (:

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

Old 02-12-2012, 11:33 AM

We took our baby out at 1 week and 1 day to the pediatrician, and then a few days later to my husband's restaurant.  At 2 weeks we went to the health department to apply for a birth certificate.  I'm afraid to take her to stores!  I would die if she got sick.  Guess I need to get over that, huh?

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

Old 02-12-2012, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

@  2 weeks to mw appt and @ 3 weeks to health dept for birth cert.  We've walked to the park a few times with the Moby, so this week we'll try walking to grocery store.  

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 AM

We've taken her out shopping a few times as a whole family, plus the one quick emergency grocery trip I did with the children alone.

I also need to pick up our 2.5-year-old from preschool at 1PM 3x per week (daddy brings him in the morning), so baby obviously comes with me. Poor girl hates going out in the cold. I had to feed her once on the preschool's sofa.

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I took little Sprout to the chiropractor when she was 8 days old, then every few days on a random errand (grocery shopping, etc.)...took her out to dinner last week and again yesterday.  She does great when we're out, probably because I wear her constantly in her wrap.  HOWEVER, she does *not* like the car seat...I've actually considered a pacifier just for car rides because she screams til she is purple sometimes...it's horrible. greensad.gif

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
Old 02-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

ive taken her for walks in the moby, the mei tai and the car seat.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

I have older kids so there's no option of staying home.  By one week we had already done it all - grocery store, restaurant, post office, shopping, etc.  Yesterday (2.5 weeks) I was in a sess pool of germs with the baby...at my daughter's elementary school.

Come to think of it, even when I only had one I was out early.  I guess I'm more of a "firing squad" mother...

Yup, this exactly.  :)  We went out right away after this little guy was born... no way to keep my 2.5 year old in the house for more than 24 hours without us all going crazy.  

I think we took my older son out for his first trip to a coffee shop when he was about 4 days old, but don't really remember.  Definitely in the first week.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The idea that you need to keep your child indoors for X amount of time after birth comes from when formula feeding was more prevalent in our society. If you're breastfeeding, there's no reason to avoid leaving the house. (Source: The Baby Book by Dr. Sears)

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

The idea that you need to keep your child indoors for X amount of time after birth comes from when formula feeding was more prevalent in our society. If you're breastfeeding, there's no reason to avoid leaving the house. (Source: The Baby Book by Dr. Sears)

Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

LG that makes a lot of sense.  No wonder my MW is more or less encouraging me to take baby out if I'm up for it.  We've now made a few runs out without incident.  It's interesting to say the least learning to BF and CD on the go...

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

User Tag List