Vitamin supplements for babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you give your newborn vitamin supplements? I just recently started hearing about the importance of vitamin D for newborns in a moms group I'm in on Facebook...never heard of it, and my pediatrician never mentioned it to me. Feeling out of the loop...greensad.gif

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 AM

I don't. But I take Vit D for myself and get the baby in the sun daily.

My Ped recommended something for my oldest and when she heard me politely refuse she never mentioned it again for subsequent kids.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 PM

We give our DS 800ius of Vitamin D...as per his ped. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Our ped also said to give Vit D if exclusively breast feeding.  I think she said 400 IUs/day.  I've given to him once.  I don't remember giving it to my older son.  Eli still gets his Vit K weekly since we didn't do the injection at birth.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:16 PM

Hm. I was considering giving LO a DHA supplement..but aside from the I take extra Vit D (3000 IU) a day, so would that provide her enough or should I supplement? Guess I'll ask her ped..

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When DD1 was a baby, my ped recommended vitamin D so I gave it to her a few times, but quickly got annoyed with the mess and how she obviously hated it (not to mention introducing something that isn't breast milk into her gut, which I didn't even know about at the time), so I asked the ped again and he said "AAP recommends blah blah blah" and I asked him "but do I really NEED to give it to her?" and he said that you wouldn't find a case of rickets (what they're protecting against by giving them vitamin D) in Utah. Utah even gets enough sun! The more I researched the more I found that the cases of rickets are more caused by babies who are never taken outside or when they're taken outside they're bundled so much they don't get any sun. So with DD1 I just started to make sure that I got her in front of a window that got direct sunlight in her diaper for like 5-10 minutes a day (the rays that give you vitamin D go through the window). Now with DD2 I just dress her how I'd dress when we go outside (pants, onesie, socks, sweater, often in the carrier) and I'm sure she gets plenty of sunlight. I'm not really into using synthetic vitamins to make up for what we should be getting from food and environment anyway.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 02-19-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

(not to mention introducing something that isn't breast milk into her gut, which I didn't even know about at the time),

Could you tell me more about this? I've given my baby Colic Calm a few times when she wouldn't stop crying after hours, and even though it works and I haven't read anything bad about it, I always feel horrible giving her something other than my milk. greensad.gif

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

Old 02-19-2012, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoonunit View Post

Could you tell me more about this? I've given my baby Colic Calm a few times when she wouldn't stop crying after hours, and even though it works and I haven't read anything bad about it, I always feel horrible giving her something other than my milk. greensad.gif

Here's a good link: http://www.drmomma.org/2010/10/virgin-gut.html

If you just google "virgin gut" there's lots of info.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

User Tag List