When do babies develop colic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-19-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When do babies develop colic? I'm starting to worry that my baby is getting colicky. She'll be 5 weeks tomorrow. She started out super mellow but over the past couple weeks she's been crying more and more and getting harder to soothe. She still sleeps a lot (thankfully), but I feel like over the past couple days whenever she's awake she's crying. I feel so helpless, and since she started out super content and mellow I feel like I'm doing something wrong and thinking irrationally like she's going to be an unhappy person or something. :( It's hard because I have people coming to meet her this week and I'm so close to cancelling because I'm afraid she's going to be crying. I'm sorry I guess I just need to vent. *sigh*

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#2 of 6 Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I don't know how much I can help but I do know from other friends' experience that colic hits early on, around this time (after the first few weeks).  Sending you hugs and vent all you want!!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#3 of 6 Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

check out the post on the yahoo group page.. theres a lot of crying baby info on there... hang in there mama! 

#4 of 6 Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It is normal for babies to get increasingly fussy, usually peaking by 6 weeks. Have you heard of The Period if Purple Crying? You can check your diet for fussiness triggers that could be coming through your milk, but know that increassed fussiness is totally and utterly normal at this age. And it does get better. The worst offenders include caffeine, chocolate, and tomatoes. There are more, but those seem to be the mightiest.

Mother, wife, doula, and lactivist.
#5 of 6 Old 02-22-2012, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My mother told me (multiple times, lol) that I had severe "colic" as a baby, along with bad eczema.  She had no idea what to do with me because I never stopped screaming.  It was not general fussiness; it was screaming from pain, and I was strictly breastfed... 

When my little one was about 3 weeks old, she started crying at night (whereas previously, she was really chill at night)...nothing would soothe her, not nursing, not clean diapers, not walking and singing to her...nothing.  My husband and I were starting to lose it because we couldn't stand to see her in pain...I'm pretty sure it was severe gas because after farting a few times and pooping, she'd finally fall asleep.  I knew there was no way I was going to let her get the way I was when I was a baby, so I cold-turkey cut wheat, soy, corn, peanuts, beans, cruciferous veggies (broccoli, kale, cabbage, etc.), and alliums (onions, garlic, etc.).  I was already vegan, so I did not consume eggs or dairy.  The VERY NEXT NIGHT, she was 75% better, and after that, we had no more issues whatsoever.

Now, my diet is very limited.  I live off of an abundance of fresh fruit (especially high calorie fruits like bananas) and very large salads.  I get my fats and proteins from almonds, walnuts, and avocados.  It sounds extreme, but it's worth it so my baby doesn't have to be in pain (and so that we get a little bit of sleep at night, lol).

Good luck!  I hope your baby feels better soon! hug2.gif

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#6 of 6 Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I gave up dairy and eggs, and Z's reflux went away (especially at night, when it was the worst and would make him wake up screaming).  I hope things are getting better for you, demoonunit, and that you find the source of your baby's discomfort.  It can be quite overwhelming!!!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page