Weird hand issues - Mothering Forums
January 2012 > Weird hand issues
juneboymum's Avatar juneboymum 07:22 PM 02-24-2012

Hey, does anyone else have hand pain, weakness, and random tingling?  I think it happened after my older son was born but I can't 100% remember.  I think it's from holding the baby so much to nurse and the pressure it puts on my forearm.  I hate using nursing pillows but I've tried.  The pain and weakness is when I try to grasp something - even something as light as a diaper or wipe.  The tingling happens randomly, sometimes when nursing, driving, walking around with Eli in the Ergo at the zoo, etc.  It's quite annoying.  Maybe it's a form of carpal tunnel? 

Kaitlyn811's Avatar Kaitlyn811 08:11 PM 02-24-2012

I have that problem. I exclusively pump so I use my hands a lot to do breast compressions and hold the baby quite often so my hands HURT while pumping.

Healthy_Baby's Avatar Healthy_Baby 04:25 PM 02-25-2012
juneboymum's Avatar juneboymum 08:05 PM 02-26-2012

Thanks!  That's a possibility, although I didn't see any of the symptoms being numbness and tingling.  3 fingers on my right hand have been numb all day.  It's so weird!  At least I can still do everything I need to....it's just annoying!

Kindermama's Avatar Kindermama 08:15 PM 02-26-2012

I would see a chiro....sounds like a pinched nerve or something.

juneboymum's Avatar juneboymum 06:46 PM 02-28-2012

We go to the chiro every Tuesday.  Today she worked on my right hand/arm a lot but it is still numb/tingling.  Oh well. 

begoniamama's Avatar begoniamama 10:02 PM 03-01-2012

it is carpal tunnel unfortunately, i have it too! i have heard that it's super common in pregnancy and post partum - hoping that it will soon get better though, it's so annoying! especially in the middle of the night when i wake up to nurse- my hands are numb and i have to wait for them to stop tingling to pick LO up. 

100%mom's Avatar 100%mom 04:39 PM 05-13-2012

My Chiro said that Mom's with new babies can lack B-6 and that could be the reason for the tingling. I had tingling in my hands until I started taking B-6. If I miss a day the tingling comes back.

Up