Baby doesn't like being worn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else have an "arms only" (or "arms mostly") kid? I have great biceps with my 95th-percentile lady here, but it's starting to drive me NUTS not getting ANYTHING done.

How do you do things? 

I've tried wearing her for short spurts to get her used to it (the mei tai is the new frontrunner... she's a very physical little person and HATED the moby...) but until we get longer than five minutes it's pretty useless. I kind of have to laugh at my dream of babywearing all day...

She has a bouncy chair which has saved my life so I can eat, but I feel badly putting her in it all the time (so I don't, which means my house is a disaster). 

Can anyone relate? 

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 PM

I can relate!!

I also had lovely dreams of babywearing...the Moby only lasted the first couple weeks; she likes moving around too much!  Now I can only use the Moby if she's conked out...I tried using a mei-tai style but it's still too constricting for her...I think as soon as she can be strapped to me and facing out she'll be a lot happier.  She needs to see what's going on...

When she's awake and happy she'll go in an exersaucer or jolly jumper for short periods, but recently she's hit a growth spurt, so we've had several velcro baby days...I'll hold her/play with her when she's awake, and when she's sleeping I'll usually try to transfer her to the couch or bed, and then do stuff as quickly as I can.  When she's napping touching me, she'll sleep about 4 times longer (at least) than when she's by herself...in those cases she'll average 20 minutes...

Theatre-techie at heart, married to a theatre-techie hubby,and mama to an incredible baby girl, (h20homebirth.gifJan 14, 2012) and expecting a surprise in July 2014!  We are having a blastbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif, andfemalesling.GIF.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm in the same boat.  My girl will (mostly) tolerate the moby when we're out and moving around. When we're home, she'd rather be held for some time, then put in her bouncer or laid down in some fashion for a little play and talking session. I think she's pretty independent, so if she'd rather be in her bouncer, then I am meeting her needs by letting her stay there as long as she likes.  I get massive guilt though, whenever she is in her bouncer or swing.  Right now I have a lot of work to do, so I feel like I'm not talking to her as much as I'd like.  I put her in the bouncer close to me and talk as much as I can.  I think as long as she is content and not crying, then she is getting what she needs, so I try to ease my guilt with that... :-/

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Old 03-28-2012, 05:42 PM

It's funny, my older son loved being worn in any kind of carrier or hold, all the livelong day.  I thought that was hard but I got used to it and planned to do the same exact thing with W...

Turns out he doesn't care for the wrap when he's awake.  If he's sleepy, I can get him to fall asleep in it.  But if he's really awake?  Oh, the caterwauling that occurs.  He seems to be less opposed to it now that I'm letting his legs dangle out (as opposed to frogging them inside) but he still just doesn't really like it.

I don't have any good advice really-- I'm fortunate in that (again, totally unlike my older son) he's fine with being put down on a blanket on the floor or in his carseat for small stretches of time.  I can get a LOT done in 20 minutes if I'm not holding a baby... :)

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 PM

I'm glad you posted this here and other people are feeling the same way. I'm pretty much under the notion that is my job to take care of this wonderful little creature I've created... and so I too can't just let him sit in a swing all day (not that he would let me anyways) and he doesn't like our Beco as much as I hoped. My house is a freaking mess. All I wanted to do today was clean my bathroom. It never happened. I did do a lot of other things though, like make breakfast & lunch for me and the 4 year old, constantly feed, love, entertain the babe, work all day from home (it's killing me), pick up my daughter from school, do homework, get groceries, do laundry. Wow, just writing that down makes me feel better. I should start making a list each day of each thing I did accomplish, instead of making a list of all the things I have to get done. That will help my spirits at least a bit. 

Ehh I'm still upset though. This is tough! I could surely use some help, and really really really wish I had family around right now. :( 

Old 03-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Much to my dismay, Eli also is not a huge fan of being worn.  At first he liked it and I could easily get him to calm down in the evening by wearing him for a bit.  We also could run errands all morning, go for walks, etc.   Now, he puts up a fit in any carrier.  I've tried moby, ring slings, and ergo.  My biggest problem is when we need or want to go somewhere.  He also doesn't like his carseat and I don't like lugging him around in it, but it's so hard to run errands, especially with a 2 yr old, when I have to carry Eli in my arms.  We don't have a stroller for him (I only have a jogger)  but I'm thinking that is the next step (since I haven't been able to grocery shop in weeks!!).  What type of stroller is appropriate for a 2 month old that doesn't involve a carseat?  Any other ideas about variations of carrying that he might like?  Is it OK to carry him facing out in the moby?  I did this at home the other day while we were out in the yard.  He tolerated it for a bit.  Thanks!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:55 PM

How much do you want to spend on a stroller?  I have an e3 (Phil and Teds) and put Q in the back seat this morning on our walk to the bus stop and home (it's only four houses down and we chatted with the other moms for a bit).  Anyway, she was totally content in it - and this was her *first* stroller ride at 9.5 weeks as she's usually in the Moby - so I'm surprised she was so pleased in it.  G was in the front seat and happy as a clam.  The rule of the e3 is that the heavier child has to be in the front seat and the lighter in the back, but when I've had my oldest in the front for a charity walk and she popped out I couldn't push the middle kid because it messed up the weight issue of the stroller.  Having the baby in the back and the middle kid jumping out didn't cause any issues.

Anyway, they aren't cheap, but they're awesome!  If you're in a decent sized city you can probably find a used one on craigslist.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you tried a woven wrap? They're spendy, but totally worth it IMO. DD2 is too big for my SleepyWrap now (HUGE baby!) and I've never liked nursing in it. In my Girasol though, I can do different positions that cover her less when she's hot, are easier to nurse in, etc. She also spends a lot of time on the floor in the room I'm in so I can interact with her while I do what I need to. She enjoys the play mat with hanging toys so she can bat at them and talk to herself in the mirror. She also sleeps the morning in the swing because DD1 wakes up at 7am, but she wants to sleep until 11-12 (after waking up a little while) and if I try to wear her while working around the house, it wakes her up. My best bet for wearing her is while nursing, then just tightening her up when she's asleep. A far cry from DD1 who would happily stay in the SleepyWrap all day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldandsleepy View Post

It's funny, my older son loved being worn in any kind of carrier or hold, all the livelong day.  I thought that was hard but I got used to it and planned to do the same exact thing with W...

Turns out he doesn't care for the wrap when he's awake.  If he's sleepy, I can get him to fall asleep in it.  But if he's really awake?  Oh, the caterwauling that occurs.  He seems to be less opposed to it now that I'm letting his legs dangle out (as opposed to frogging them inside) but he still just doesn't really like it.

I don't have any good advice really-- I'm fortunate in that (again, totally unlike my older son) he's fine with being put down on a blanket on the floor or in his carseat for small stretches of time.  I can get a LOT done in 20 minutes if I'm not holding a baby... :)

The new recommendation is actually that you don't frog leg their legs at all. Better for their backs. Of course I didn't learn this until DD2 was big enough that I stopped tucking her legs in. :-P
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannabee View Post

I can relate!!

I also had lovely dreams of babywearing...the Moby only lasted the first couple weeks; she likes moving around too much!  Now I can only use the Moby if she's conked out...I tried using a mei-tai style but it's still too constricting for her...I think as soon as she can be strapped to me and facing out she'll be a lot happier.  She needs to see what's going on...

When she's awake and happy she'll go in an exersaucer or jolly jumper for short periods, but recently she's hit a growth spurt, so we've had several velcro baby days...I'll hold her/play with her when she's awake, and when she's sleeping I'll usually try to transfer her to the couch or bed, and then do stuff as quickly as I can.  When she's napping touching me, she'll sleep about 4 times longer (at least) than when she's by herself...in those cases she'll average 20 minutes...

You should try on your back rather than facing out. Facing out isn't supposed to be good for their spine. When they're on your back, presuming you keep them up high enough, they can see everything great. You can even wear newborns on your back if you're confident enough to figure out the mechanics of it, so any age is appropriate with the correct precautions and carrier.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

The new recommendation is actually that you don't frog leg their legs at all. Better for their backs. Of course I didn't learn this until DD2 was big enough that I stopped tucking her legs in. :-P

Can you share a few links?  I'm still frogging Q's legs in the Moby since it has been cold, but now that it's warm enough to have little toes out it might be time for a switch.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM

Are there any carriers (other than bjorn-type) that you can wear them on the front, facing out?  Eli also likes this better...I've done it in the moby a couple times but I don't want to hurt his back.  Most of the time I wear him facing in and try to get him to go to sleep in it when we're out and about.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm sure that there are more resources, but this one mentions not frogging their legs. I bet there's more info on TBW. http://naturalparentsnetwork.com/beyond-bonding-positioning-babywearing/

Juneboymum, that depends on if you actually consider the Bjorn-type carriers a good option to begin with. Personally, I'd never use a crotch dangler. Here's some info about it http://www.hipdysplasia.org/Developmental-Dysplasia-Of-The-Hip/Prevention/Baby-Carriers-Seats-and-Other-Equipment/Default.aspx and also whether or not you think facing out is a good idea in the first place http://www.bobafamily.com/blog/2011/10/11/nine-reasons-not-to-carry-your-baby-facing-out/

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Cedar... any updates on the babywearing front? Have you tried any new holds, carriers, etc and had success?

I am finding my babywearing to be going better now that LO is holding her head up  really well.  She actually rather likes it now that I carry her in a hug hold with her shoulders out, she can look around at everything.  Lately I'm even able to wear her around the house, which I love, as she can finally really experience everything that I am doing.  Things change so fast, one day babies hate something and the next day they're all about it.  How is it going for you? And imakecutebabies?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

We are getting there... the moby wrap is working sometimes... (especially if we are out somewhere and there is lots for her to see :) but now she's getting too heavy for it it seems (?) and it starts sagging after a while! Thinking of investing in a woven wrap but because she's not 100% sold on the whole thing I'm unsure. I have some EXCELLENT shoulder and upper arm toning going on though from carrying her (can do all 15.5 lbs with one arm for an hour!)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post

We are getting there... the moby wrap is working sometimes... (especially if we are out somewhere and there is lots for her to see :) but now she's getting too heavy for it it seems (?) and it starts sagging after a while! Thinking of investing in a woven wrap but because she's not 100% sold on the whole thing I'm unsure. I have some EXCELLENT shoulder and upper arm toning going on though from carrying her (can do all 15.5 lbs with one arm for an hour!)

I'm still wearing Zach in the Moby and he's just under 20 lbs. now.  One secret is to wash it often so it remains taut.  You kind of have to find the perfect balance of snugness, but when you do you'll be able to wear her way past 20 lbs. in the Moby.  I know a woman who wears her huge 9 month old, who weighs close to 30 lbs.

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM

My 98th percentile/17 pound baby ends up in his bouncy chair with me in the kitchen.  I get a horrible headache when I wear him in anything other than sitting up with his butt supported in a sling (which means I still have to mind his head).

But he also really enjoys kicking around on the floor, especially since he's started showing an interest in trying to roll over, he's generally more than happy to hang out on the floor, which I can't feel guilty about, given the carpal tunnel I've developed from holding him lol.

User Tag List