what's at the root of your love of birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am terrifically interested in what draws people to the field of birth. i'd love to hear from you....even if it one simple line.

what's at the root of your love of birth?

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

#2 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 01:40 PM

I've always had an intense interest in pregnancy, birth and midwives. I've felt my calling for many years. I guess for me it's two fold: I have a very strong need and desire internally to do birth work. I couldn't really tell you why, just that's it's my calling. I have to do it. The other reason is to help women have the best experience and mothering start that they can. Pregnancy, birth and motherhood are such hugely transformative things. I believe that women and men need compassionate care, support and empowerment during that time. I think it's abominable the way the majority of birthing women are treated in the country. I want to do my part to make it better. I want to change the world one birth at a time.
#3 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 PM

I heard great birth stories growing up and assumed that was how things were...then I had friends who experienced birth trauma and started thinking seriously about what made the difference. I became a doula just wanting to be able to provide the support I felt moms should have. I think birth trauma impacts families in such a serious and long term way, it really can't be measured.

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#4 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 PM

cfiddlinmama
:

I've been amazed by pregnancy and birth all my life. I remember beuing 5 and drawing pictures of mommy and baby. I remember watching a baby story when I was 12 and thinking "how that's amazing but there has to be a better way." I've just always been drawn to birth.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#5 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 03:14 PM

Mine isn't really a love of birth, its just a love of the womans body. I think that women have an amazing strength, and its just an amazing natural wonder to me. But i think that alto of women are unaware of their natural ability, and i think that at time the medical field can mislead and leave women uneducated about their bodies, and i would LOVE to help women become more comfortable and in tune with the way their bodies work. That goes for getting pregnant, how not to get pregnant, BC and how it works, Stds, Vaginal infection, Sex, and pregnancy. I think most women have no idea how their bodies work, and are misled by the media, and the medical field. I think that women should be given all possible information to make educated decisions about their bodies, and the risks and effect of things....

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#6 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Many things. Empowerment and Advocacy through information and truth are at the top. Followed by a general love and intrest in the process and miricle of making life and birth.

For me, it was the empowerment I recieved from a very thorough childbirth education class, that opened my eyes, made me aware of my options, who the system works and why it could be a problem for me, and it gave me the courage to make a big desicion, like switching from my OB to a birth center at 36 weeks pregnant! It was something that changed my life and fabric of who I am. I felt I had no other choice but to try and help other women, even if one at a time, haev the information they needed to make choices for thier body and their birth with out biased information, and not to make choices based on fear.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#7 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 06:05 PM

A woman. A baby. Innocence. Strength. Power. God.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#8 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 06:18 PM

I always knew I was called to be in medicine. I chose nursing because it seemed overall more family-friendly, and thought I would be an L&D nurse. My school had just introduced a nurse-midwife program and I really liked the philosophy and the closer relationship with patients.
#9 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 07:30 PM

As a PP said: I want to change the world- one birth at a time.

I truely feel that the way we are born has a life long effect. I feel very drawn to helping to keep that experience as beautiful and peaceful as I can. I feel drawn to protecting that space, that privacy, and the complete feeling of holyness I feel at births. I feel such a conection to G-d, and in that way my passion for birth is a bit selfish. I also have a huge respect for mothers, and for the natural way of living, and midwifery (or any birthwork) really fits for me. I also seem to really have a knack for it, and that certainly has helped to reassert that this really is meant for me. The way the pieces have all fallen in place, how smooth this has happened has made me feel that G-d has his hand in this.

I found birthwork slowly, and ultimatly I came to start working with birthing mothers after I had my third miscarriage. I have found much healing and personal growth from birthwork.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#10 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 PM

Helping moms in their most vulnerable and triumphant times of their lives. Birth is a powerful thing, emotionally and physically. I think the most rewarding thing is when a mom and dad meet their baby for the first time...the look on their faces, their fingers just touching his cheek, the mom's emphatic, "I DID IT!" Just being there to see the newest baby on the planet open his eyes....

I saw a video made by a midwife today and would love to share it with you all. It really sums up what I'm trying to say here....

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...m_medium=email

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#11 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 PM

Women.

Women's health, women's issues, women's empowerment, women's rights.

Social justice.

And, that *feeling.* The "birth power" feeling--that laughing/crying, euphoric, climbed-the-mountain, glowing, rapture...feeling. The transformative, empowering, triumphant, powerful, I DID IT, feeling.

I want all women to have the chance to experience that.

---------
I wrote this as it came to me--my intuitive, gut-level, response to your question without a lot of thought and pondering. As I look at my list above and invert it, it becomes my "tree" of birthwork--with women as the root and then spreading up to blossom with that birth-power-feeling.

Molly
--
Talk Birth

Molly--mama to two sons (9/03 and 5/06), one tiny son forever in my heart (14w5d, 11/09), and one early m/c 2/10. Gave birth to my rainbow baby girl in 2011 and surprised to welcome another rainbow in October, 2014!
#12 of 32 Old 11-18-2008, 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=mollycce;12637905]Women.

Women's health, women's issues, women's empowerment, women's rights.

Social justice.
[QUOTE]

Beautiful! want to change my answer to that!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#13 of 32 Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 PM

I just love talking and thinking about Birth & Breastfeeing.
I really like pregnant women, and helping during a transition in their life.
#14 of 32 Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it's just a calling. I can't explain it in words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingmama05 View Post
cfiddlinmama
:

I've been amazed by pregnancy and birth all my life. I remember beuing 5 and drawing pictures of mommy and baby. I remember watching a baby story when I was 12 and thinking "how that's amazing but there has to be a better way." I've just always been drawn to birth.
Same here. I remember “giving birth” to pillows my whole child hood. I just love pregnant women and babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycce View Post
And, that *feeling.* The "birth power" feeling--that laughing/crying, euphoric, climbed-the-mountain, glowing, rapture...feeling. The transformative, empowering, triumphant, powerful, I DID IT, feeling.

I want all women to have the chance to experience that.
And this too. I want to help women as they experience the life altering events of pregnancy and birth.

Plus….how cool is it to be around happy pregnant women and babies the rest of my life. It gives me warm fuzzies :
#15 of 32 Old 11-19-2008, 07:32 PM

A life long fascination with reproduction

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#16 of 32 Old 11-20-2008, 04:03 AM

"With Woman"

I love women, women's bodies, women's issues, changes in their lives, their babies. I love nurturing them, helping them eat well. I believe that women are strong but usually misinformed or with lack of resources. I am amazed at how women are designed to carry, birth, and breastfeed babies.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#17 of 32 Old 11-20-2008, 04:05 AM

That when women feel the power of birth and the magnificent way their bodies grow, birth and feed babies then, they will know that WOMEN CAN DO ANYTHING!

Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#18 of 32 Old 12-11-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. it was wonderful reading them all.

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

#19 of 32 Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM

Watching my nephew being born changed my life. I know that sounds silly cause I was just there video taping but, it changed our whole family. My Mom, Aunt, Grandmother, our baby sister and I were all in the room. My fiance (now DH), grandfather and my Dad were all in the hallway.

After I saw how the midwife treated my sister, I wanted to learn more. It wasn't until I started researching natural family living and getting pregnant that I learned about the whole homebirth movement. I didn't even know people gave birth unassisted by choice!

My whole world and my passion were discovered. I will be starting AAMI here soon.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#20 of 32 Old 12-11-2008, 07:03 PM

When I was pregnant, I felt this intense connection to God as Creator. I felt like I was playing a vital role in the creation process.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#21 of 32 Old 12-12-2008, 12:29 AM

my own birth was so traumatic. my mother was 19, sent away to a home for unwed mothers (yes it was 1965), she was gassed and i was born while she was unconscious. i then spent 10 days in a hospital nursery, "saw" my mother one more time and then went to the home of my adoptive parents.

i never realized this was at the root of my passion for empowered childbirth until i reread a childhood favorite recently, "jacob i have loved." tells the story of a young woman who was a twin and grew up in the shadow of her twin sister. her mother left with her sickly newborn sister for 2 months, while she, the healthy twin was raised by the grandmother on "tinned milk." she grows up to become a midwife and the book ends with her attending the birth of twins. "of course" i thought, "her own birth was so traumatic that she naturally sought to heal this place in her by becoming a midwife." then of course the light came on for me too! poof! makes perfect sense.

so, my very own birth was the root of my own births being at home and my fierce advocacy for natural, unhindered, empowered birth that leads to loving attachment for mother and baby. :

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#22 of 32 Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 AM

after the traumatic birth of my first baby, i knew there was a better, more humane way to honor women's bodies and their babies. for the last 15 years i have been passionate about women's health issues and also believe you change the world one birth at a time.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#23 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 03:01 PM

I wanted to be a professional feminist, and I think midwifery is the way to do that. As midwives, we can help women trust and listen to their own wisdom, make peace with and learn to respect their bodies, and turn the power over to them as they birth in the hopes that they will take up that power in every aspect of their lives.

The more I learn from birth and mothering, the more I realize that we are well-designed for the tasks of pregnancy, birth and mothering if we would just get out of the way and let our bodies be as they were designed to be. I want to help women figure out how to get back to the primal truth that our bodies work if we let them.
#24 of 32 Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 AM

During my first pregnancy, at 16, I was socially excluded, emotionally distant and woefully uninformed. A traumatic birth was followed by a more traumatic adoption. I spent several years in a disconeccted fog.

With my second child, I was pulled to have a homebirth, but didn't due to my fear and family pressure. It wasn't until my more empowered pregnancy and homebirth with #4 that I felt healed and whole as a mother.

If I can do that for one other woman, or help one socially disadvantaged teenager find her power from the beginning...how can I not become a midwife. The pull has become so strong it hardly seems like a question of "if" anymore, merely "when".

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#25 of 32 Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 PM

It started when I was twenty-ish and had a spinal tap, and had a spinal headache for two weeks. Um, there is very little in my life that I have experienced as more painful. All I could think of was "OHMYGOSH, women have this and have to take care of a NEWBORN?!" So I started to research to make sure that I would never have to have an epidural in labor. My mom and all of her six sisters had had unmedicated labors, so I was sure that I could, too...

Which led me to be cared for by midwives, and to read here, on the Birth Pros board, when i was nursing my little ones. One day, somebody asked the perennial "Did you certify as a doula, and if so, through whom?" question, and I followed all of the links. WHen I hit the ALACE site, the required books were all books that I had read in preparation for my births, and books that resonated with me, and it was like somebody tapped me on the shoulder and said, "HEY. YOU. Yes, you. You are meant to do this." My grandma would have called it the "Holy Spirit" speaking to me. WHatever it was, it put my feet on the path.

All the things that people have said about women's realizations that they CAN do birth, and so can do ANYTHING, about women's RIGHT to a normal birth supported by caring people in an environment of their own choosing...

Now that I am IN birthwork, why do I CONTINUE to do it?...

Yesterday I attended a YOUNG woman, in labor with her first baby. She labored and labored, and it petered out. Upon palpation, it was found that the baby had turned a bit and that had probably stalled labor. We ended up bringing her to the chiropractor, and two hours after we left his office, her baby was born into her own hands, in a dimly lit room, filled with people who love and cherish them both. During transition, she looked at me and said, "I have changed my mind. I'll take just being pregnant forever. Just make it stop." But when she had her child in her arms, she looked up with rapture in her face and said, "I did it. I am a mother. And she is beautiful. Isn't she BEAUTIFUL?"

THis young woman was treated like a child who didn't deserve to be spoken to or consulted about her treatment when she was in the hospital system. Yet when presented with the option of homebirth, she looked into the pros and cons and made an educated choice. She chose to finish her education with homeschooling so that she could breastfeed and meet the needs of her baby. She looked up at me when she was done birthing and said "I am a mother." Had her birth included tubes, monitors, people in masks, bright lights, most likely pitocin and an epidural and maybe even a vacuum...I am not sure that she would have had that same CONVICTION in her voice when she said "I am a MOTHER."

Seeing that...not only the birth of a baby, but the birth of a mother, it is a powerful thing. Seeing women do the birth dance, on their knees in the middle of the bed or pool, in a dark room, with POWER radiating from their bodies and their voices and their entire BEING~~ That is something that so few humans are privledged to witness! Being in the room when a new soul enters the world, when their eyes open and they connect with their parents--that is a gift. Becoming a midwife, being a doula, they are more than just what I do...they are who I am. They are integral parts of my being. And it is an incredible gift I am given every time I am included in a birth.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#26 of 32 Old 12-16-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
Seeing that...not only the birth of a baby, but the birth of a mother, it is a powerful thing. Seeing women do the birth dance, on their knees in the middle of the bed or pool, in a dark room, with POWER radiating from their bodies and their voices and their entire BEING~~ That is something that so few humans are privledged to witness! Being in the room when a new soul enters the world, when their eyes open and they connect with their parents--that is a gift. Becoming a midwife, being a doula, they are more than just what I do...they are who I am. They are integral parts of my being. And it is an incredible gift I am given every time I am included in a birth.
This is so beautiful. This is perhaps my most favorite thread ever on this forum. I LOVE reading people's thoughtful responses to this question. It is great!

Molly
--
Talk Birth

Molly--mama to two sons (9/03 and 5/06), one tiny son forever in my heart (14w5d, 11/09), and one early m/c 2/10. Gave birth to my rainbow baby girl in 2011 and surprised to welcome another rainbow in October, 2014!
#27 of 32 Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There were many times that I sat nodding reading this thread. I won't repeat what others have said, but will just say, nodding, YES...

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#28 of 32 Old 12-17-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
It started when I was twenty-ish and had a spinal tap, and had a spinal headache for two weeks. Um, there is very little in my life that I have experienced as more painful. All I could think of was "OHMYGOSH, women have this and have to take care of a NEWBORN?!" So I started to research to make sure that I would never have to have an epidural in labor. My mom and all of her six sisters had had unmedicated labors, so I was sure that I could, too...

Which led me to be cared for by midwives, and to read here, on the Birth Pros board, when i was nursing my little ones. One day, somebody asked the perennial "Did you certify as a doula, and if so, through whom?" question, and I followed all of the links. WHen I hit the ALACE site, the required books were all books that I had read in preparation for my births, and books that resonated with me, and it was like somebody tapped me on the shoulder and said, "HEY. YOU. Yes, you. You are meant to do this." My grandma would have called it the "Holy Spirit" speaking to me. WHatever it was, it put my feet on the path.

All the things that people have said about women's realizations that they CAN do birth, and so can do ANYTHING, about women's RIGHT to a normal birth supported by caring people in an environment of their own choosing...

Now that I am IN birthwork, why do I CONTINUE to do it?...

Yesterday I attended a YOUNG woman, in labor with her first baby. She labored and labored, and it petered out. Upon palpation, it was found that the baby had turned a bit and that had probably stalled labor. We ended up bringing her to the chiropractor, and two hours after we left his office, her baby was born into her own hands, in a dimly lit room, filled with people who love and cherish them both. During transition, she looked at me and said, "I have changed my mind. I'll take just being pregnant forever. Just make it stop." But when she had her child in her arms, she looked up with rapture in her face and said, "I did it. I am a mother. And she is beautiful. Isn't she BEAUTIFUL?"

THis young woman was treated like a child who didn't deserve to be spoken to or consulted about her treatment when she was in the hospital system. Yet when presented with the option of homebirth, she looked into the pros and cons and made an educated choice. She chose to finish her education with homeschooling so that she could breastfeed and meet the needs of her baby. She looked up at me when she was done birthing and said "I am a mother." Had her birth included tubes, monitors, people in masks, bright lights, most likely pitocin and an epidural and maybe even a vacuum...I am not sure that she would have had that same CONVICTION in her voice when she said "I am a MOTHER."

Your post turned me into a puddle. I wish you were in my life when I was pregnant/for the birth.

I planned/dreamed of having a home water birth. I had a CS because I was stupid enough to listen to an OB and their "high tech machines" (that were IMO, faulty).

Even though I had a CS, I had that "moment" like your client, when she realised she was a mother. When I saw my baby for the first time (alone, naked and crying ), that's when it hit me. I never grasped the concept of "baby" while I was pregnant. I just didn't have that connection until I saw my baby. There are reasons, but don't want to get too long winded.

Because of my bad experience, I've entertained the idea of becoming a home midwife/doula...but I'm no where near ready, as I haven't worked through the trauma I've experienced. But maybe one day, I can be a woman like you who helps other women in need. (I'm in Illinois where home MW are still illegal. I hired a lay midwife to assist in my homebirth. My mistake was continuing OB appts where they use faulty technology to decide a woman's fate. Live and learn).

I long for a homebirth like your client had....like the one's your witness all the time. I want it so bad. I mourn the loss of mine.

But it makes me happy that you and the other mama's on this thread make it possible for other women to have that experience. So....thank you. It gives me hope.
#29 of 32 Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post

Your post turned me into a puddle. I wish you were in my life when I was pregnant/for the birth.
Me too, I am crying such happy tears over that wonderful post. I was that young woman who was treated like a child (well, not that exact one in her story!) in the hospital, who had a brutal birth and wound up turning to homebirth next time in order to be able to give birth with the respect I deserve. And I did. And it's all because of women like Courtenay. Instead of seeing pregnant women and their babies as just another patient, just another surgery, just another procedure....they take each of us into their hands, guide us, earn our trust, and give us the priceless gift of a gentle, empowering birth. I love this thread so much, God bless every single one of you for doing what you do.
#30 of 32 Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post
God bless every single one of you for doing what you do.
Yes to this! (I didn't mean to give courtenay_e all the praise. Her post just struck a cord with me). Barefootpoety, I was also that scared "child" at the hands of UAV's. I'm dreaming of my 2nd birth. I don't know when...or how (considering I'm single). But one day. One day I will have a woman like Courtenay guiding me through the birth of my dreams.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page