I don't want to get induced :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Midwives, please help!! I'm 41+1wks and my midwife gave me until the end of this weekend to go into labor or she'll strip my membranes and if that doesn't do it she'll induce me next Wed. I really don't want to get induced Is there anything besides walking, sex, RRL tea that would make me go into labor??? A friend suggested running or drinking a glass of wine but I'm not sure about that.
Please help. I'm desperate.
Thank you!!!

Wife to Daryl 5/98, Mama to Eve 2/07, Lilie 11/08 and Victoria 10/10 --- Our First Water Homebirth. New blessing, Mathias, arrived 8/12 --- Our Second WaterHomebirth. Waiting to welcome baby #5 in May 2014.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 06:12 PM

Not a professional, but had to chime in- you can say NO.

-Angela
Old 11-20-2008, 06:23 PM

is it a homebirth M/w? It may be the law... for you to have a homebirth in many places you have to be between 37-42 weeks.

I am very pro accupuncture to get labor moving. It has pretty much no side effects (maybe a little sting on the site the needles are), and is so effective.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

Old 11-20-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth View Post
is it a homebirth M/w? It may be the law... for you to have a homebirth in many places you have to be between 37-42 weeks.

I am very pro accupuncture to get labor moving. It has pretty much no side effects (maybe a little sting on the site the needles are), and is so effective.
No, it's a hospital birth with a midwife.
Checked into accup. and my insur. won't cover it and I can't pay for it out of pocket. I've been doing chirop. but it hasn't worked so far.

Angela,
I thought about it but I know the MW will drop me if I say NO and I'll be stuck with an OB.

Wife to Daryl 5/98, Mama to Eve 2/07, Lilie 11/08 and Victoria 10/10 --- Our First Water Homebirth. New blessing, Mathias, arrived 8/12 --- Our Second WaterHomebirth. Waiting to welcome baby #5 in May 2014.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM

you should google "community accupuncture clinic"

it is an awesome network of affordable accupuncturists. My place has no set rate, but the average pay is 15-25$ a visit.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:54 PM

Maybe if you contact an acupuncturist you can explain the situation and work out a payment plan. Usually they are much more flexible than allopathic docs. Then at the very least, you may be induced and owe a little money. My AP costs $70 per session - are they much higher in your area? (I'm lucky - my insurance covers mine, and I pay a $20 co-pay).
Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 PM

Well, a recent (and very well-designed) randomized controlled trial of acupuncture's effectiveness to induce labor found that it made no difference at all. It even had the control group receiving "fake" acupuncture so no one would know if they were the control or the test group. Click on this link for the abstract and PM me if you'd like a full text of the study.

If you aren't comfortable with the risks of induction, you need to talk with your midwife and let her know that it is ultimately your decision and that you will take her advice into consideration as well as carefully researching and weighing the risks and benefits of the various courses of action.

The wording you've reported indicates that she (and perhaps you, too) sees herself as the decision-maker in the process. For example, "my midwife gave me until the end of this weekend to go into labor or she'll strip my membranes and if that doesn't do it she'll induce me next Wed." Your rights to informed consent as a patient include the right to informed refusal; you have the right, after receiving full information on the risks and benefits of any proposed procedure, to decline said procedure.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:50 PM

Also, a HCP has to keep you on for 30 days after terminating care. I don't see how she could legally/ethically drop you for refusing an induction (unless, for example, her hospital's rules specify that all midwifery clients who reach 42 weeks have to transfer care to an OB).
Old 11-21-2008, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Seems to me that you are at a much higher risk for ending UP with an OB ANYWAY, and NOT on your terms if you say yes to the induction. At least if you wait till you go into labor you are laboring at home for the majority of your labor, where you are comfortable, rather than starting from "zero" at the hospital, and on drugs and monitors, and unable to be comfortable...

Otherwise...evening primrose oil and homeopathics might be your best bet before hand.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 11-21-2008, 04:53 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy. Your MW may have explained (or you might already know), but things can change very, very rapidly at this stage in pregnancy. Wednesday is still a long ways off. By the time your MW is suggesting induction, you may already have a baby in your arms!

I have not seen accupuncture work on any of my clients (and I appreciate the link for that study which seems to confirm what I have seen). Some people believe there are foods that help bring a baby - pinapple and eggplant are commonly sited. Other options some women swear by include a good cry (from a sad movie you like for example), a massage, a long walk (but don't exhaust yourself), stairs (but again on the exhausting yourself), journaling about your upcoming birth and really being honest with
yourself about any lingering fears or things that are holding you back (this can also be done out loud in a therapy session, with a good friend, with your partner, etc), afternoon naps (being well rested and relaxed can really help), and having a lot of trust and faith in your body and your baby and the process.

Some women also choose to induce labor at home through herbs, homeopathic remedies, or castor oil. You should talk to your provider about this first, but it is an option many women consider if they do not go into labor by 41-42 weeks. Many local midwives suggest these methods for clients who are after 42 weeks or needing to bring labor on earlier for some reason. You can get a lot of information about all of these methods here.

Enjoy the end of your pregnancy. Eat at your favorite places, go on dates with your partner or friends, take warm baths, read novels in bed, enjoy a fall walk in the park. Remember not to let the fear of an induced labor or the anticipation of wanting labor to come make you feel disappointed or impatient during your last days as a pregnant woman. This is a beautiful time in your life, enjoy it!

best,
Megan

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'M IN LABOR!!!
Since this morning. Thanks for all your advice and help. It is greatly appreciated.
Aneta :

Old 11-21-2008, 09:04 PM

That's great. Congrats and have a beeautiful birth.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 PM

Yipppiiii good luck!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixafreeze View Post
Well, a recent (and very well-designed) randomized controlled trial of acupuncture's effectiveness to induce labor found that it made no difference at all. It even had the control group receiving "fake" acupuncture so no one would know if they were the control or the test group. Click on this link for the abstract and PM me if you'd like a full text of the study.

If you aren't comfortable with the risks of induction, you need to talk with your midwife and let her know that it is ultimately your decision and that you will take her advice into consideration as well as carefully researching and weighing the risks and benefits of the various courses of action.

The wording you've reported indicates that she (and perhaps you, too) sees herself as the decision-maker in the process. For example, "my midwife gave me until the end of this weekend to go into labor or she'll strip my membranes and if that doesn't do it she'll induce me next Wed." Your rights to informed consent as a patient include the right to informed refusal; you have the right, after receiving full information on the risks and benefits of any proposed procedure, to decline said procedure.
Hmmm... I've seen accupuncture done 6 times for the purpose of "inducing", and 4 of them had their baby the same day. So it's a small poll of women I've seen it work for, but to me it's worth a shot. I've seen it done a few other times for augmentation- and it was effective all times for that.

Thanks for the study, I look ofrward to readinjg it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandala126 View Post
I'M IN LABOR!!!
Since this morning. Thanks for all your advice and help. It is greatly appreciated.
Aneta :
Congrats!

User Tag List