Pregnancy and Roller Coasters - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone have the reasons pregnant women cannot go on roller coasters? I understand why it would be bad for a 38 week pregnant woman to go on a roller coaster but I’m talking about 4-8 weeks pregnant. I have heard a few pregnant women over the past couple weeks tell me they went on rides when they were 6-8 weeks pregnant and they didn’t know at the time and now feel like they harmed the baby. I tried to reassure them but I honestly don’t know what harm that could cause.

It must be the area we live in that I run into this question so often

Any ideas? I don't want to scare them but it would be nice to know what harm it can cause so early in the pregnancy.
#2 of 6 Old 11-22-2008, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think a lot of it has to do with liability. Say a woman in early pregnancy goes on a roller coaster and miscarries the next day - she may try to blame the amusement park, theoretically... I don't know if that has ever actually happened (that they got blamed), but that's the kind of thing they worry about.
#3 of 6 Old 11-23-2008, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is a good thought.

I was thinking yesterday maybe this has to do with the G force? Could that cause harm to a baby?

I know roller coasters jerk you around and are pretty bumpy but will that really hurt a 6 week pregnancy? I doubt it.

hmmm anymore thoughts?
#4 of 6 Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 AM

If the baby isn't implanted deeply enough it is possible for the pregnancy to get knocked out of place and cause the mama to miscarry.

If those women haven't yet they should be ok.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#5 of 6 Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM

The other thing I would say is just plain comfort. With pregnancy beyond a few weeks women often report that their joints are laxer and that they can get out of alignment easier. With the jolts and shakes of a roller coaster, it may mean pain for pregnant folks. I don't think that roller coaster riding, and the physical demands on the body, have been well-studied in pregnancy, if at all. All I can say is that it's a man-made phenomena and I'm not sure that the amazing design of the pregnant body was made to withstand the unique pressures! Saying that, like most things, moderation is the key, probably.
#6 of 6 Old 11-30-2008, 06:51 PM

I don't have any science for you, but I did ride a couple of really fierce roller coasters a few days before I found out I was pregnant (had no idea) and my daughter is perfectly healthy and actually a little advanced developmentally---I joke with my friends who were with me at the theme park that she caught the speed!

I think before you know you are pregnant, the fetus is so well protected. Later in pregnancy the high speeds, g-force, upside down motions, etc. are best avoided mostly on the unknown risks. It's a huge liability issue, for everyone involved.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page