Usnea safe during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-26-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been trying to do some research into using usnea, but I haven't been able to find anything definite regarding pregnancy. Most places that say not to use during pregnancy is only because they don't feel there has been enough research, but then other places say there are no side effects known, that's it's safe for children, etc and leave pregnancy out of it completely.

Is this something you'd feel comfortable using during pregnancy if an antibiotic was needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-26-2008, 08:19 PM

Eep, I am not sure, but I did take it after 36 weeks as a GBS protocol during my last pg. I feel fine about that but I don't know much about before the third tri.

Isn't usnea more anti-fungal than antibacterial? Could you try echinacea-astragalus-goldenseal first and see if that works, since those are more widely accepted to be safe(r)?

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#3 of 3 Old 11-27-2008, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

I've never heard of using it as an anti-fungal agent. I've always known using it as an antibiotic. It's also a wonderful immune enhancer.

I don't have need of it right now, so I'm more looking down the road. Just in case.

Ooo... according to this wiki page looks like it is both an antibiotic and antifungal agent. Sweet. More uses for it!

I've always heard not to use goldenseal while pregnant. And I've never seen any results from echinacea personally. So, yeah.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page