IBCLCs and LCs where'd you take your lactation ed courses? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 02-15-2009, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took it at SMS and it was good. Nothing to compare it to, though, as I've only taken it there.

I don't think I'll be able to get enough hours to qualify to take the IBCLC exam before it "expires" and I have to take it again (at $$$ cost).

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#62 of 81 Old 02-15-2009, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahfina View Post
Does it help in the process of qualifying for the IBCLC exam?
According to this quote (from their website http://www.seattlemidwifery.org/simk...education.html)
Quote:
At the end of the course, you will have completed the required 45 hours of didactic content for preparation of the certification exam.
and the IBCLE website, if you look at pathways one and three, the course at Seattle Midwifery will qualify you for the educational component. You might want to call ILCA or the IBCLE office to make sure, though.
#63 of 81 Old 02-15-2009, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
I don't think I'll be able to get enough hours to qualify to take the IBCLC exam before it "expires" and I have to take it again (at $$$ cost).
There's the rub, huh? You really have to get your action plan straight before you head on in. I'm crossing my fingers I've calculated my time right.
#64 of 81 Old 03-07-2009, 07:42 AM

Hi Everyone...

I'm jumping into this thread late. I currently live in Europe, so for me, only on-line courses are feasible at this point. I was looking at the courses listed on the ILCA website as approved towards the IBCLC exam, and my question is: what makes the BSC course soooo expensive? The others are all in the 6-800 dollar range, whereas the BSC course is almost 1800 dollars. Here's the link: http://www.bsccenter.org/lccourse.htm

Has anyone taken that course? Why is it so expensive? Does it offer anything extra?

Thanks!
Réka
#65 of 81 Old 03-07-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'll take a stab at it, but I surely don't know for sure. My guess is that it's an extensive course. It's 195 CERPs--that's well above the requirement for the IBCLC exam. The course I'm taking is just the education part of the requirements--and it's 45 CERPs, I think. I'm not sure how much more I'd have to pay to complete the training through UCSD, although I would have to move there.

I think with online courses, you really a limited in what you can do. Especially because some of the requirements are working with breastfeeding moms. It's really hard to monitor that through the internet.
#66 of 81 Old 03-08-2009, 04:25 AM

Yeah, I saw that the course awards 190 cerps, which is way more than 45, but then I'm so confused among these acronyms (contact hours and CEUs and all other units of measurement of this sort of thing) that I began to doubt it was the same unit as the hours required by IBLCE.

So would doing this course for lactation consulting be the equivalent of going to AAMI for midwifery? (With the exception that it's accredited.)
#67 of 81 Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 AM

rekamorvay, I am in the same position you are with being in the UK and having access to on-line courses only. It's so hard to know what to choose.

I did want to tell everyone, if you haven't heard of it, of the Gold09 on-line lactation conference - registration has just opened and it seems like a great way to earn 20 CERPs and also have the convenience of listening to the talks any time over 20 days. They do all the talks live in the first 48 hrs and then you have all month to listen to them. They are also giving a group discount, so a bunch of us LLLLs are forming a group and getting it even more inexpensively. Here is the link:
http://www.gold09.net/
#68 of 81 Old 03-25-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to give you all an update and a review for the UCSD laction ed course I just finished. This was good if all you're able to take is an online course. If it's at all feasible to do something IRL, do it. I think you can get much more out of a class where you have interaction. I did try to start discussion threads, but I think people were just trying to finish the course. Quite a few had never taken an on-line course before, so we muddled through.

It's set up very well, but if you're computer illiterate, it takes some getting used to. Nothing you don't pick up soon. I thought the tech support was good.

Gini Baker is an excellent resource. I'm sure she does a wonderful job with her clients. As an instructor, I recoiled a few times at some of the comments she made. Not exactly discriminatory, but not very PC either. She leans towards crunchy, but is a medical woman, and not so much in the world of real, alternative people, IMO. But she does the job. At the end of the course, you're well on your way to having of beginnings of a breastfeeding class you want to teach--that's huge, IMO.
#69 of 81 Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 AM

Bumping this thread.

I am a LLL Leader (3 years this month) and I am applying for a job as a BF peer counselor with WIC. The IBCLC pathways are confusing me because they used to be letters and now it is 123. EEK!

From what I got in this thread, I have to take the courses wuth 45 unit hours and then I can take the exam? The soonest I could take it would be July 2010.

Is anyone working directly with an IBCLC as a mentor? I have been in contact with an IBCLC who has published books on the reading list for the exam and lives in my area. I am trying to convince her to take me under her wing.

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#70 of 81 Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

I think it depends on your experience and your education. Have you looked at all the pathways? I know that LLL leaders get 500 hours per year maximum. Your hours required are dependent on your background, IIRC. For instance, I'm already an RN, so that means I have some background in body workings and general nutrition. My minimal requirement would be 1000 hours one-on-one lactation "helping" and a minimum of 45 hours of lactation education, although I believe more is better.

As far as having an IBCLC to mentor me? I had one, but she's leaving the island. I need to get into contact with another I met at the same hospital.

LMK take a look at the pathways again and see if I can get a clearer picture for you.
#71 of 81 Old 05-08-2009, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I looked, and it seems (based on your LLLI experience), you'd qualify for pathway 1. In addition to your 1000 hours, you'd also need the minimum 45 credit hours. And this too:

from http://americas.iblce.org/pathway1.php
Quote:
Health Disciplines Education
IBLCE recommends that candidates have education in certain background health disciplines that form the foundational knowledge for the lactation specific education.

Recommendation: Candidates who have not already studied the following subjects as part of their university education should complete education in these health disciplines:

Human anatomy and physiology
Sociology or cultural sensitivity
Nutrition
Psychology or counseling/communication skills
Infant and child growth and development
Medical terminology
Education in these subjects may be completed by enrolling in university or college courses or through online or distance learning programs. Some of the AARC recognized course providers offer refresher courses in these subjects.
HTH.
#72 of 81 Old 05-08-2009, 08:46 AM

Now I am even more confused. They said that the 45 credit hours are required but the info you posted is recommended.

I have taken psych, nutrition, anthro classes. I thought about taking medical terminology. If I was going to take all the other classes for the IBCLC exam, I might as well continue to get my nursing degree. (once was my goal but not anymore)

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#73 of 81 Old 05-08-2009, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if the recommended things just make it easier to pass the IBCLC exam. I'd email IBCLE or even ILCA (they were especially helpful to me) and find out the real scoop based on your background. GL--I hope it's an easy process for you!
#74 of 81 Old 05-13-2009, 02:48 AM

Those recommended courses used to be required and now they are recommended. I contacted ICLA and they said I could take those through Health-e-Learning. So that is what I am doing. And trying to become a LLL leader which is taking longer than I hoped.....

Oh, they should be considered "general ed" courses.

At this rate, I will be able to sit for the exam in 2020. (I am only sorta joking

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#75 of 81 Old 05-13-2009, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I know...that LLL leader route takes longer than expected. We just have to more onward...someday we'll have that coveted IBCLC behind our name.:
#76 of 81 Old 05-30-2009, 09:49 AM

Bumping Again -

I completed my training to be a BF Peer counselor through WIC. I need to get more one on one time than I get through LLL.

Yesterday I took a training for lactation management through the state and got 4 hours towards the exam. All I need is 50,000 more.

My goal is to take the exam next year.

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#77 of 81 Old 05-30-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Does Texas WIC have an actual job description for breast feeding counselor? Our Hawaii WIC has a sort of encompassing job title and WIC nutrition counselor and nutrition aid. I haven't seen an actual breastfeeding counselor as a stand-alone job. Please tell me more about your position. I feel like I'm stuck with this certificate, but no WIC possibilities. I feel frustrated.
#78 of 81 Old 05-30-2009, 04:44 PM

We have a fabulous peer counselor program. Here is a short overview (2 pgs)
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/wichd/la...erview0408.pdf

Can you ask them about being a peer counselor?

This is the website for National Peer Counselor info.
http://www.nal.usda.gov/wicworks/Lea...port_peer.html

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#79 of 81 Old 05-31-2009, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! Your program looks fantastic. I'm going to have to call our WIC offices and see what they have. Our website didn't look to promising.
#80 of 81 Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have all my contact hours, I'm an RN, all I need is the 45 hour course. I am thisclose to enrolling in Gini Baker's next class, not quite sure where I'm going to find the time to actually do it but I really want to sit for 2010 exam....

I have a question though, this would probably be for the people who have sat or are really close. What study preps would you suggest? Books, guides, do any actually exist for the IBCLC exam? TIA

Amy

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#81 of 81 Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have been considering becoming a LC. We don't have a LLL within an hour of here, though, and no LCs nearby at all. Our WIC is not bf-friendly, too. I would need an online course. I used to be a CNA/Phlebotomist/Andrologist but am not a RN and haven't worked in medical anything for over 5 years. I do have 108 credits but no BS for now. So would one of those courses like one by Gini work for me? And then somehow find a way to get hours around here?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page