HgB- 3pt difference between finger stick and vein draw??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping one of our amazing MWs here can answer this for me, b/c quite frankly, everyone here is stumped...

I had a finger prick done on Friday at my MW appt. My HgB came back 7.2. My MW and I nearly freaked b/c I wasn't showing ANY signs of anemia AND I've been working for the last 2wks to raise my HgB due to a low count 2 weeks ago. She asked that I go to my FP and have a full blood panel done. I'm 40w +2d today, so I was 40w on Saturday when I went to see the NP at my dr's office. She also did a finger stick and the HgB came back 7.5.

After a lot of back and forth w/ the dr on staff, the NP, and the hospital, they sent me to the ER to have blood work done and possibly transfuse 2 units of blood. Well, to everyone's surprise, the HgB for the vein draw came back 10.1. They even tested another draw a few hours later that came back 9.9.

So my question, WTH is going on?? Why is there such a LARGE difference between my finger sticks and the vein draw?? My MW was ready to risk me out based on the finger prick, but obviously feels more than comfortable now that we know my REAL count is somewhere around 10 (this will be my 3rd HB, 10 is normal for me at this point).

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm guessing, but I wonder if you have a lot of inter-cell fluid in your fingers. That fluid can dilute the blood samples. That's why finger sticks aren't supposed to be squeezed to get a drop out. It's possible that's happening for you without squeezing because of some personal physiology.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interesting links about this same problem in blood banks
http://www.cbbsweb.org/enf/2003/hemocue_repeat.html

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

User Tag List