Attending my first Christmas birth! (or maybe late Christmas Eve) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-24-2008, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a doula rite of passage, right? :

I was actually hoping my client would have her baby this week because my dh is off work and I wouldn't have to pay a sitter. So this does work out nicely!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2008, 04:01 PM

As the mother of a Christmas day baby, I really apprectiate the sacrifice birth workers and their families make today! Hope everything goes well!

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

It was a beautiful, med-free, fairly large (9lb) baby girl! And I still got home with 30 minutes to shower before we celebrated Cmas!

Oddly enough, the hospital was very quiet -- I think because most of the moms in our city got induced on the 22nd or 23rd (that's what the CNM said!)

Shelleyd, my youngest has the same birthday as yours (a year earlier)!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 12-25-2008, 04:50 PM

We have never done a Christmas birth. I was teasing my midwife/former preceptor that I was going to have my baby on Christmas just because we hadn't done one before. But I would say based on all signs this baby is waiting until January 10th like it is supposed to.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

Old 12-25-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
It was a beautiful, med-free, fairly large (9lb) baby girl! And I still got home with 30 minutes to shower before we celebrated Cmas!

Oddly enough, the hospital was very quiet -- I think because most of the moms in our city got induced on the 22nd or 23rd (that's what the CNM said!)

Shelleyd, my youngest has the same birthday as yours (a year earlier)!
Hospitals are almost always quiet on Christmas and NEw Year's. Go figure.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
Old 12-25-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama View Post
Hospitals are almost always quiet on Christmas and NEw Year's. Go figure.
And yet, the only time I've had two clients laboring at once? New Years!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 12-25-2008, 06:03 PM

New Year's Eve is ALWAYS my busy night for births, the last three years have had me at a birth on NY Eve. And, with my younger daughter, my own water broke on 12/31, but alas, the long prodromal labors that are my way meant she arrived on January 2nd!

With several clients still strongly within dates, this year might not be any different!

Glad you had a lovely birth!
Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
Old 12-25-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonBayDoula View Post
New Year's Eve is ALWAYS my busy night for births, the last three years have had me at a birth on NY Eve. And, with my younger daughter, my own water broke on 12/31, but alas, the long prodromal labors that are my way meant she arrived on January 2nd!

With several clients still strongly within dates, this year might not be any different!

Glad you had a lovely birth!
Sharon
I've worked NYE for six? years. I never have a labor. It sucks. We all stand around and look at each other and have a faux party that just emphasizes how much fun we are not having.

Clearly I need to start hanging around you all.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama View Post

Clearly I need to start hanging around you all.
Well, both of the overdue/upcoming ones are OOH, but one has a HIGH potential of ending up where you hang out due to developing maternal issues and provider comfort! Maybe we can be together on NYE! Are you working?

Or, you can come with me and we can do an OOH together, sharing the bubbly!

S.

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
Old 12-25-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonBayDoula View Post
Well, both of the overdue/upcoming ones are OOH, but one has a HIGH potential of ending up where you hang out due to developing maternal issues and provider comfort! Maybe we can be together on NYE! Are you working?

Or, you can come with me and we can do an OOH together, sharing the bubbly!

S.
I'm working basically every night for the next week. fingers crossed.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:22 PM

I had a Christmas Eve birth yesterday. Strangely enough the mama was 9 cms with only a lip and stayed there for six hours and then pushed for four hours to have that Christmas Eve baby - I swore I would have guessed that I would have been home by dinner time, but no such luck - although I am so glad she didn't end with a cesarean considering her doctor has high intervention rates!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:14 AM

I was praying yds wouldn't be a Christmas baby, but my mw was totally fine with the idea. She was like "whatever, the kids will celebrate another day." He ended up waiting until the 27.
I made sure to remind my breastfeeding buddy to call me even if she had her baby on the holiday. It is not an imposition at any time to make sure mom and baby are nursing well. Half the day I'm sitting around nursing a toddler anyway.

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys
Old 12-26-2008, 12:58 PM

Two years out of the last four we did a delivery on New Years Day. They did start on New Years Eve though.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 PM

I attended a Christmas birth this year. The woman was an amazingly inspiring VBAC mom. She got a b*tch of a doc though, with accompanying birth rape, misinformation and lies, discouraging and critical comments, and, in the end, a repeat c-section. I'm still recovering. I'm hopefully doing a postnatal with her tomorrow, so I'm gonna set aside plenty of time for it so she can talk and process the birth if she wishes. I know it was quite traumatic for her, and she plans to sue the doc for birth rape/abuse.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

Old 12-30-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
I work at a hospital based doula program, we had 12 scheduled inductions beginning at 6pm on the 22nd, through 6am the 23rd, we never see more than 3 a day scheduled more than a week out, but there were 12 scheduled a week ahead.... Everyone wanted to be home for Christmas...

tree-huggin', outdoor lovin' paleo-eatin', crossfittin', homebirthin', placenta eatin', doula, wife and mom to 2 girls (06 & 08)

* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 3rdtri.gif * * 40 * *

User Tag List