Downs Syndrome and the Plain Ppl - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can we please clear up the misconception about screening (abortion) decreasing the population of people born with Down Syndrome.
It is not true! It is an invention of propaganda.

This quote is from the Down Syndrome Research Foundation website http://www.dsrtf.org/about-ds.htm

"About one in every 800 American babies is born with Down syndrome, and it is estimated that about 350,000 people in the United States live with this condition today. There is a false impression that pregnancy screening has eliminated or substantially reduced the incidence of Down syndrome in the population. Despite years of screening, the Down syndrome population in the country has remained stable."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks shooflymama! I appreciate that.

dewi--wow, thanks for that. I was willing to entertain the notion of screening/ds reduction as I awaited links to real info (it seemed plausible to me), but I'm glad that you cleared that up.

Appreciating all for links and suggestions!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi View Post
Can we please clear up the misconception about screening (abortion) decreasing the population of people born with Down Syndrome.
It is not true! It is an invention of propaganda.
[/B]
There is kind of mixed info out there. I just received this in my emailbox today.

http://womens-health.jwatch.org/cgi/...q=etoc_jwwomen

Christa
Old 01-02-2009, 11:38 AM

I think that prenatal screening has made a definite impact on the number of babies born with down syndrome, but that once those babies are born, better health care is being given to them throughout their lifespan, increasing the likelihood that they will live longer.

This argument is a bit of a statistics game too. You can say that 80% of babies whose mothers have a definitive diagnosis of down syndrome terminate, but that doesn't mean that 80% of all babies with down syndrome are aborted. Lots of women decline prenatal screening for various reasons.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.

User Tag List